Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Refinishing my BD guitar
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Refinishing my BD guitar

Post Thanks / Like

Default Refinishing my BD guitar

Round one-rough sanding

Round two-fine sanding

Note for fine sanding, don't use anything to wipe the dust off, use compressed air. Leaves fine scratches.

Round three-stain first coat

I don't know how that's going to come out. The grains may not be worth enhancing or whether I should sand again but there it is.

By the way, the instructions says to let it soak for 5-15 minutes but I wiped it dry after two minutes. The wood was really soaking it up.

Round four-rough sanding

Ran out of sandpaper.
    Last edited by kiteman; July 20th, 2010 at 08:17 AM.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good, Kite! So you did decide on staining it huh? What color stain are you going with?
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldron
    Looking good, Kite! So you did decide on staining it huh? What color stain are you going with?
    Miniwax Wood Finish Cherry 235. After that it'll be clear gloss poly wipe.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman
    Miniwax Wood Finish Cherry 235. After that it'll be clear gloss poly wipe.
    Sounds cool! Can't wait to see the pics. I like when we get updates as the project progresses. Good luck with her!
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you'll enjoy it.

I'm taking my time on this. I'm thinking about triple step jobs but I'm not sure. I guess it'll depend on how the first step goes.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

Did you use and wood pore filler, kiteman? Or are you going more for a hand rubbed "furniture" type finish with an open pore?
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Say guys, what's cherry? I don't see anything reddish about it.

EDIT: I didn't use any filler. I don't know much about finishing.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

Cherry stain does rely upon the natural reddish tones of the cherry wood to enrich the color. Cherry stain is generally a lighter reddish color compared to some of the mahogany stain finishes. A good piece of mahogany generally finishes well with just clear applied, although it won't come out real dark and reddish without stain enhancement. This is why I mentioned mixing a cherry and mahogany stain together, although a good, plain mahogany stain woks well also. Here's a stain chart to look at:

EDIT TO ADD: You could still use a clear filler if you wanted to eliminate the open pore showing after you clear coat. In fact, it is preferred that you stain first, then fill the pore as the stains will most likely not penetrate the pore filler if it's applied before hand. That wouldn't look good at all.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Blooz, too bad I didn't see the chart. My friend mentioned that he has some red stain at his house. I'm going to look later.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

A good mahogany stain will probably work best. Whatever stain you choose, try it out on a piece of scrap wood first. If it's pine or a similarly light wood, know that it will be darker on the mahogany.

If you look at Gibson guitars you'll notice that some (bodies) look like a medium brown color. Those guitars are shot with clear and the mahogany is Honduran, which is not a dark mahogany. The bodies that appear a darker mahogany or deep reddish mahogany are enhanced with stain. African mahogany has a naturally darker tone to it and will generally look nice even when shot clear with no stain.

Post Thanks / Like

Round five-rough and fine sandings

It revealed some more grain so I'm done sanding. Whew!

Here's an outdoor shot what it really look like.

_____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

Round six-two coats of spray shellac so far. It looks like the way it was before I started but it's not. The yellowish hue (from the poly) is gone.

_____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

Round seven-fine sanding and one coat of shellac. This time outdoor shot to show the real beauty.

It ain't done yet but it rained so I stopped and let it cure for now.

_____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

Round eight-two more coats of shellac. Getting some shine.

[URL=http://img691.imageshack.us/i/s5030068h.jpg/][/URL
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman
    Round eight-two more coats of shellac. Getting some shine.
    Wow, that's looking really good now. You might need some very light sanding between each coat, like worn down 400 grit or 600 grit in the later stages. Just enough to knock down any dust or roughness. It should take 12-24 hours to be dry enough for even light sanding.

// That SA neighborhood in the pic's looks familier... Her name was Michele!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Wow, that's looking really good now. You might need some very light sanding between each coat, like worn down 400 grit or 600 grit in the later stages. Just enough to knock down any dust or roughness. It should take 12-24 hours to be dry enough for even light sanding.

// That SA neighborhood in the pic's looks familier... Her name was Michele!
    I have a niece named Michele. Your turn.

anyway I was going to steel wool it once it cured.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

Looking REAL good Kite! I think you're on the right track with the steel wool, maybe some 000 or 0000 should smooth it out nicely. Can't wait to see the finished product!
    Ronnie

Post Thanks / Like

Me too.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

Round nine-One coat of shellac and it's getting smooth to the touch. I think I can stop spraying. I believe that's six coats already.

No pics, recharging batteries.
    _____

_____

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast