Thread: HD died...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default HD died...

F**K C**T S**T C**K F**K F**K there went over a month's worth of work...including the latest files for the song I just posted and three others.

F**K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really hate these modern HD's, they just can't take DAW use unless in a raid...I had raid-0 for years and NEVER a problem as the disks shared the stress, but single drives last maybe a year it seems at best...F**K!!!!

OK vent over...
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch! Sorry for your loss, man. Will you be able to reconstuct any of the files?
    Guitars: Charvel/Jackson CSM-1G, DeArmond M-75, DeArmond Starfire Special, DeArmond S-73, Epiphone Collegiate UK, Squier 51, Michael Kelly Patriot Custom, Harmony Sovereign, Taylor 310, Takamine 12 string, SX thinline, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez JTK30,
    Amps: Earth Sound Research G-2000 Super Guitar head into Avatar G212H cab, Fender Sidekick 20 Chorus, Peavey Classic 20, Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Express 112, Fender Super Champ XD, Vibro Champ XD
    Effects: Digitech EX-7, Digitech RP-250

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nah, it's totally dead...I just have to work with what I had previously. It's only like 3-4 songs that I've worked hard on recently, but it's still quite a bummer, I had gotten them in such a good shape and it's really annoying to have to do it all again...probably won't get them in such a good shape any more.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Deeaa,

While this will not help recover the data from the lost HDD, have you heard of: https://www.dropbox.com/? You get 2 GBs free and more if you are willing to pay. Also, if you invite some friends and they join and install DropBox, will can get up to 8GB more free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My laptop died last week. Thought it was the SATA hard drive, but a new drive couldn't be read either. Must be a hardware issue.
    Bought a SATA to USB adapter, so I'll pull off the good stuff and copy to the desktop.

I've made a living working with or on PC's since the 8088 days, and I hate computers still!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but there is one last ditch chance at getting a HD to boot up one more time.

http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/200...over-data.html

We've done it at work a few times. It worked once out of 6 or 7 times. I'm personally not sure if it's really the freezing or just the random chance it spins up again, but we got some files off. I usually try it more out of the novelty, honestly.

I'd recommend not booting from the drive, though. Maybe a LiveCD or if you already got another HD with an OS on it, boot from that.

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes. Sorry, dude. The best I can offer is either something like Dropbox or a regular backup. I know that HDD quality seems to vary greatly from generation to generation and by size, but I don't know much beyond that. Some of mine have been great, others have been real clunkers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Before you toss the drive out the window, try Steve Gibson's SpinRight. I used version 1.something like a hundred years ago, and it worked. Certainly worth trying.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

OUR IT guy at the office has a saying" THERE ARE THOSE WHO BACKUP and there are those who wish they did. I use to be in the later group.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by street music
    OUR IT guy at the office has a saying" THERE ARE THOSE WHO BACKUP and there are those who wish they did. I use to be in the later group.

I was thinking this, but wasn't going to rub it in...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mjk123
    Deeaa,

While this will not help recover the data from the lost HDD, have you heard of: https://www.dropbox.com/? You get 2 GBs free and more if you are willing to pay. Also, if you invite some friends and they join and install DropBox, will can get up to 8GB more free.
    Yeah, I've heard of it, but haven't the need because 2GB is so little, I don't even use USB sticks so small any more :-) After all I have almost three terabytes of drive just on my DAW. I have 50GB online storage now for data which I use mostly for music, been considering upping it to a hundred gigs, and five terabytes online storage for video&TV programs.

I really should back up more often. I only back up data, I can easily reinstall windows again and programs, but all data I backup to this external 1,5T drive, which is getting small though...and I need to start doing it more often.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zip
    Before you toss the drive out the window, try Steve Gibson's SpinRight. I used version 1.something like a hundred years ago, and it worked. Certainly worth trying.
    Thanks, I have to keep that in mind for the next time...but the drive won't even boot up no more, doesn't show even in BIOS and if it's attached, the whole machine refuses to get past bios POST messages...so I guess it really is beyond any help.

That freezing thing seems interesting, but then again, well, I've already made peace with having lost the data, so I'm just gonna ship it back to WD. They've already sent me a new replacement drive, I now have 30 days to send the faulty one back to them.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

A Bad HD shouldn't stop a POST if there is a good one to boot from. Before you send it back, have you tried booting from the new one with the old busted bastard in there too? I just really hate to see data go to waste.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by omegadot
    A Bad HD shouldn't stop a POST if there is a good one to boot from. Before you send it back, have you tried booting from the new one with the old busted bastard in there too? I just really hate to see data go to waste.
    That was a fiest for me too, I've lost at least a dozen drives but they never made the machine freeze so before. Maybe it has to do with the motherboard model, I haven't lost a disk before with this mobo. But, I have other disks in there as well and the machine works just fine and boots and all - as long as the bad disk is not attached. This was not a system disk, but the disk I keep music data on.

I really need to build that RAID array for music stuff...or maybe more ssd drives...at some point I had seven harddrives in the system, now only three...I better get at least one more soon, preferably another ssd....only they are small and expensive :-(
    Dee