Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: inexpensive amp for jams

Post Thanks / Like

Default inexpensive amp for jams

Hi everyone! My first post/thread here.
    It's finally time to get out of bedroom and jam! So I'm going to buy inexpensive amp for jams (currently I use Blackstar HT-5 or Pandora PX4D for practice). My requirements:
    1) New one. Just for the peace of mind.
    2) < $450 strict! Less is better.
    3) 40-100W. My guess is that for < $450 I have to go with SS or hybrid, then it's better to be > 50W.
    4) Styles: mainly blues, blues-rock. Nothing too heavy. From cleans to moderate overdrive.
    5) I have a Blackheart 12' cab capable of handling 75W, so heads are also an option
    6) No Bugera / JetCity. Just prejudice...

Currently my list of contenders is:
    1) Vypyr tube 60 - the very top of my budget, no Sanpera...
    2) Peavey Valveking 112
    3) Carvin VT50 - vintage all-tube head. Also the very top of my budget.
    4) Vypyr 75
    5) B-52 LG7512
    6) Vox valvetronix VT50

Amps that were eliminated after some discussion at HC are Carvin SX300 & Fender Frontman 212R.
    I tried Valveking and Vypyr 75 in local GC and Vypyr didn't sound bad at all, plus amount of stuff included in it is amazing - AUX in, headphones out etc etc. No FX loop, but with those number of built-in effects it doesn't really matter. If Vypyr tube 60 indeed adds some natural tube flavor on top of this, it is definitely my top preference so far.
    Your advice/opinions are welcome!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

How about a used Peavey Classic 30 for $350 or so? Great little amphs.

For example => http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/msg/1851741067.html
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Apart from seconding the Classic 30 I'd say try a Roland Cube 60 or 80X. You might be pleasantly surprised. They're certainly loud enough and easy on the back too
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    How about a used Peavey Classic 30 for $350 or so? Great little amphs.
    For example => http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/msg/1851741067.html
    That's exactly what guys at HC recommended Although it doesn't correspond to my req.N1, I'll consider this too... is 30W tube enough for gigging at small clubs?
    What really attracts me in Vypyrs is AUX IN - possible jamming along MP3 backtrack...

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amp

The Fender Super Champ XD is an awesome all tube sort of amp, with a digital modelling and effects section. Outstanding Fender and other high gain models like Marshall, Vox, etc. Reverb, Chorus, etc., included and very good.

I put an Eminence Ragin' Cajun speaker in mine and it is about twice as loud as stock in perceived volume because of its greater sensitivity than the stock speaker and the speaker holds the models very well.

This amp has a ten inch speaker and is 15 all tube watts, including a tube preamp and tube power amp. Therefore using the rule of thumb of 1 tube watt equals 3 solid state watts, the SCXD would sound about as loud as an approximately 50 ss watt amp +/-.

Check on the fenderforum.com for the Super Champ XD thread. It is a highly respected amp and definitely jammable. Plus you get a five year warranty.

Very good amp that a lot of guys here have. Has versatility and power and excellent sound even stock.

I would say the SCXD is an outstanding amp and have not tried out the Vypyr tube sixty, but the Vypyrs that I tried were cheaply built, lit up like Christmas trees, and screamed bells and whistles. Compared to a simple one or two channel amp immediately after playing the Vypyr yielded a much more pleasant and satisfying sound, and erased dazzling tone still ringing in my ears with some really solid, full sounding, quality amp sounds.

I would rather have the ValveKing 112 any day. That's like 50 tube watts, a lot of watts. I have played that a few times and like it. Just put your pedals in front of it or a multipedal if you want a million sounds. This is a powerful amp, totally able to drownd out any loud drummer without a problem. None of this drummer yelling, "Hey, why don't you get a real amp", BS. He will be waving you down frantically. This is what you want, not an underpowered amp.

Dudes you jam with will probably have way more watts than they need, and be able to get real loud.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Apart from seconding the Classic 30 I'd say try a Roland Cube 60 or 80X. You might be pleasantly surprised. They're certainly loud enough and easy on the back too
    I'm no sound gourmet, and judging amps from youtube videos is wrong, but all reviews/demos of Roland Cube I heard there sound completely synthetic. Btw, my first amp was Microcube, and it also sounded quite unnatural (but it had AUX IN and was built like a brick).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barber76
    1) New one. Just for the peace of mind.
    2) < $450 strict! Less is better.
    6) No Bugera / JetCity. Just prejudice...

That pretty much nullifies my recommendations.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like you've already made up your mind on this, but of those listed, I'd go with the Peavey Valveking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I'll consider this too... is 30W tube enough for gigging at small clubs?
    What really attracts me in Vypyrs is AUX IN - possible jamming along MP3 backtrack...

I've played larger than small clubs with my 20 watt Soldano. 30 watts is plenty for anything.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Default Amp

Remember: 30 tube watts will be loud enough. 30 solid state or hybrid watts will not be loud enough for jamming with a loud drummer. A 30 watt solid state amp is equal to a roughly 10 watt tube amp.

30 all tube watts will be loud enough. This means it should have a tube preamp and a tube power amp, not just one or the other. I doubt that the small preamp tubes used in the power section on some hybrid amps, 12AX7's, have the output power of regular power amp tubes, and I doubt that the 3:1 loudness ratio applies to them. They always use just one small or mini preamp tube in the power section rather than two or four big specialized power amp tubes. Even amps using one big specialized power amp tube are capable of more output power than a small preamp tube in the power section I believe.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not on your list, but I would recommend the Pro Jr. It's my grab and go amp for jams. It's only 15 watts, but it is freaking loud. I always get told to turn down. It's not heavy, either.

I play blues with mild overdrive, and all I need nowadays is my guitar and that amp. Amazing tone monster!
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the super champ xd. <$300, plenty loud and easily will power you cab.
    I have a homemade 2/4 x 10 cab with greenbacks i run through when i play bigger clubs. Have yet to use the top 2 speakers. 15w all tube is alot louder than you would imagine. plus the modeling feature can change the amp voice with surprizing accuracy to just about anything you want. great little amp.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't played one, but reading the literature, and considering your criteria, you may want to see if there is a dealer in your area.....Looks like Guitar Center is on the list.

Bugera V22
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6stringdrug
    +1 on the super champ xd. <$300, plenty loud and easily will power you cab.
    I have a homemade 2/4 x 10 cab with greenbacks i run through when i play bigger clubs. Have yet to use the top 2 speakers. 15w all tube is alot louder than you would imagine. plus the modeling feature can change the amp voice with surprizing accuracy to just about anything you want. great little amp.

I thought the Super Champ XD was a hybrid. There's nothing wrong with it if it is, I'm just asking.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo
    I haven't played one, but reading the literature, and considering your criteria, you may want to see if there is a dealer in your area.....Looks like Guitar Center is on the list.

Bugera V22
    +1
    Yep, don't let the brand fool ya'. The Bugera V22 is an excellent tube amp full of fine clean thru saturated tones and plenty loud.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Amp

The Super Champ XD is not exactly a hybrid. It is a two channel amp with channel one being the all tube channel and channel two has voicings. Both channels run thru the tube power amp. Not sure if the voiced channel runs thru the preamp tube as well, but I think it does, with the digital voicing placed in the signal chain between the preamp tube section and the power amp tube.

In any case it is not a typical hybrid amp, but an all tube type amp with digital modelling and effects.

Try one out. These are great amps and are contenders with the Fender Blues Junior among Fender afficianados. Of course the Blues Junior is another outstanding all tube, no modelling amp not far out of your price range new and the Fender Pro Junior is definitely within your price zone.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

And no opinions at all on Carvin VT50 & B-52 LG? Same was on HC - seems like this two are very rare.

Post Thanks / Like

And no opinions at all on Carvin VT50 & B-52 LG? Same was on HC - seems like this two are very rare.
    I've never played through it, but my friend just traded his vintage MusicMan combo for a used Carvin VT50. He absolutely loves it. His band is kind of a Grateful Dead meets tasteful prog rock. I've only heard him play it at one gig and is sounded pretty good.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

the XD is a hybrid, solid state/tube preamp. the solid state models the voices and the tube warms them up. I played alot of the voiced amps and this one was so warm and inviting. the tube really makes a huge difference over pure solid state preamps. the first channel doesnt use the solid state at all, all tube, sounds like the old champ did, very simple, not too much break up. when you switch over and pick a voice (i like the blackface voice myself) the tube in the preamp really helps the modeling do its job, and of course the power amp tubes break up beautiflly at volume, like they are supposed to. also, the hybrid part controls the built in effects (reverb, delay, tremolo, vibratone) none of these efeects are mind blowing being all digital, but they do very well. I can hear the difference but it's not so bad that i don't use them. For my money, it was the best low wattage amp i played. When i hit the lotto ill get my vintage super reverb, but until then...this is my budget friendly all fender tone. Surprizingly mimics marshall and vox tone very well too!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast