Thread: Two-Tone Mod. . . Capacitor question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Two-Tone Mod. . . Capacitor question.

I found a diagram a while back detailing how one could wire a tone knob with two capacitors using an SPDT switch. This really appeals to me because I love versatility and what-not, but there was one thing I was curious about. . .

A capacitor will always affect the tone of the guitar whether the tone knob is all the way up or not. . . But what of two capacitors - one of which will be out of the circuit all-together (save the ground on the tone knob)?

Will they both always affect the tone, or only the one that is selected?

Reason I ask is because I have a NOS Soviet PIO cap and a NOS Mallory polyester cap - both of which should be very good, and both of which should also have diametrically opposite qualities - and I'd love to switch between them, but if they both are constantly affecting the tone, whether 'switched on' or not, it seems like it would be kind of counter-productive, no? Thoughts, anyone?

Cheers

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thearabianmage
    I found a diagram a while back detailing how one could wire a tone knob with two capacitors using an SPDT switch. This really appeals to me because I love versatility and what-not, but there was one thing I was curious about. . .

A capacitor will always affect the tone of the guitar whether the tone knob is all the way up or not. . . But what of two capacitors - one of which will be out of the circuit all-together (save the ground on the tone knob)?

Will they both always affect the tone, or only the one that is selected?

Reason I ask is because I have a NOS Soviet PIO cap and a NOS Mallory polyester cap - both of which should be very good, and both of which should also have diametrically opposite qualities - and I'd love to switch between them, but if they both are constantly affecting the tone, whether 'switched on' or not, it seems like it would be kind of counter-productive, no? Thoughts, anyone?

Cheers

Joe
    Hi Joe,
    No, the switch will only connect one cap to the circuit, so only one will have any effect, which one is determined by the switch position.
    If I might make a suggestion, put in a 3-way switch, on-off-on (the opposite of a pickup selector). You put one cap on each side of the switch, and attach the middle to where the tone cap connects to the circuit. This will allow you to have the "no tone cap" in the middle position and either the POI or the Malory in the other positions.
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like

I like EVO Dudes suggestion. That sounds like a killer mod.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

You can do it with the pot alone, no switch needed. Put one value cap on one end and different value cap on the other end of the pot. The wiper taps into the circuitry. Double the value of the pot you use like from 250K to 500K.

With the knob in the middle, it involves no caps. Rotated one way brings in the cap and rotated the other way brings in the other cap.

Simple hey?
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Hey y'all, to be fair, those are two pretty cool ideas! :

EVO - the on/off/on switch - would that be a SPDT? So basically, I'd use the diagram (3rd down) found this site:

http://www.1728.com/guitar3.htm

And I would literally just replace the on/on with the on/off/on? But then, what would happen to the tone pot? Would it become 'disabled' in the 'off' position or would it be a secondary volume or...?

Cheers, guys!

Post Thanks / Like

And I would literally just replace the on/on with the on/off/on? But then, what would happen to the tone pot? Would it become 'disabled' in the 'off' position or would it be a secondary volume or...?
    I believe it would just be disabled at that point, since you'd be bypassing the tone portion of the circuit. Best to wait for one of the people who know to answer though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Hey y'all, to be fair, those are two pretty cool ideas! :

EVO - the on/off/on switch - would that be a SPDT? So basically, I'd use the diagram (3rd down) found this site:

http://www.1728.com/guitar3.htm

Cheers, guys!
    Yes, the third diagram (2 capacitor tone control), that's the one. You could do an on/on (2 position) switch, but what the on/off/on (3 position) switch does is disables the tone pot and caps, but if that is not your thing, a 2 position on/on switch will work.
    Here is a link to the type of switch I am talking about:
    http://www.amazon.com/DiMarzio-Three.../dp/B000H18RXY
    It does not have to be a double pole (extra set of terminals), but this will work.
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    Rockman Soloist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I believe it would just be disabled at that point, since you'd be bypassing the tone portion of the circuit. Best to wait for one of the people who know to answer though...
    Yes, with the on/off/on switch, it is disabled, good call Eric.
    Scott

Guitars:
    Amps:
    Pedals:
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    Rockman Soloist

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeanEVO_Dude
    Yes, the third diagram (2 capacitor tone control), that's the one. You could do an on/on (2 position) switch, but what the on/off/on (3 position) switch does is disables the tone pot and caps, but if that is not your thing, a 2 position on/on switch will work.
    Here is a link to the type of switch I am talking about:
    http://www.amazon.com/DiMarzio-Three.../dp/B000H18RXY
    It does not have to be a double pole (extra set of terminals), but this will work.
    Thank you both for your help

I'm gonna hold off my mods (for now) and get a couple more parts