Thread: Jeff Healey

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jeff Healey

I don't know if thats been posted before but it definitely needs to be seen. Dude is crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikHI7_PMFNc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vroomery
    I don't know if thats been posted before but it definitely needs to be seen. Dude is crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikHI7_PMFNc
    Great clip. He was an awesome player, such an un-orthodox style... Saddly, he is missed.
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like

man. There's so much more to that than just a great player. Truly, a gift, and that he was able to find his way to the guitar at all, and that he was able to share it with people the way he did, and you can see how simply joyful he is to be playing.

one of those things that gives you hope. just, for life in general.

Thanks for sharing.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeff was a fixture at the blues clubs in Toronto for many years. It seems that all of the greats pass on at an early age. Just 41. He was an avid collector of old 78 rpm blues and jazz records. Most of his playing was done with Fender Squier gutars, Makes you wonder, when I complain about not being able to see the dot position markers on some guitars. I guess you can overcome any handicap if you want to.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

And he shared that collection with listeners across Canada on a cool CBC radio show for a number of years. Now Randy Bachman fills the spot and his show is getting better and better.
    Seize The Fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Although Zman made reference to it, I'm not sure if the other posters know Jeff was blind. I was introduced to Jeffs music back in the early 80's while sitting around a campfire overlooking the French River in northern Ontario. My Canadian chums were all quite proud of their amazingly talented countryman. I was floored by what I heard come out of that little boom box we were listening to. At that time I didn't know he was sight impaired and had such an unusual playing style. Beside the link below where he plays with Stevie Ray, I really enjoyed his cameo appearance in the movie Roadhouse. His passion for music is an inspiration

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otaypanky
    Although Zman made reference to it, I'm not sure if the other posters know Jeff was blind. I was introduced to Jeffs music back in the early 80's while sitting around a campfire overlooking the French River in northern Ontario. My Canadian chums were all quite proud of their amazingly talented countryman. I was floored by what I heard come out of that little boom box we were listening to. At that time I didn't know he was sight impaired and had such an unusual playing style. Beside the link below where he plays with Stevie Ray, I really enjoyed his cameo appearance in the movie Roadhouse. His passion for music is an inspiration

I was listening to Jeff Healey a little while before roadhouse came out. I had no idea he was blind or played the guitar on his lap until I saw him in the movie. I was already impressed with his style and monster note bends. I was blown away the first time I saw him fretting notes with his thumb and using his fingers the way he did.
    The first music I had of his was on a 90 minute casette tape my friend recorded for me with a bunch of stuff from his first two albums. Then I later bought a greatest hits CD.
    I think my all time favorite song from him was his cover of "While my Guitar Gently Weeps". I love what he did with that song. It was so powerful and new sounding.
    LeadedEL84

Post Thanks / Like

He was a great player. I had the fortune of seeing him in a club setting on his See The Light tour. The other day, I happened to be watching some "One Hit Wonders of the 80s" show on VH1 and was surprised that they included Jeff Healey. I sure don't see him as a one-hit wonder. To make matters worse, they didn't even mention that the song they were featuring, Angel Eyes, is a John Hiatt tune. Nonetheless, it was good to see a video of Healey.

Thanks for the great videos, BTW!