Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resurrecting old threads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Resurrecting old threads

I've been trying to figure out what to do about old threads on here. There are many cool ones where discussion ended before I joined on.

If I find one of these threads, I have two options:
    1. Start my own version of the thread and if I'm lucky, nobody will say "We already discussed this. Learn how to use the search function."
    2. Add my 2 cents on the existing thread and hope nobody complains about how I'm resurrecting a dead thread.

Which do you guys and girls prefer? There's a lot of neat stuff on here that was before my time, but only a portion of that really falls under the read-only category (i.e. reference threads to learn about stuff).

Just continuing to try to play friendly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I say just add to the existing thread. That will save people from having to repeat themselves.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Same here. I have no problem with old threads being revived.

Post Thanks / Like

Bring 'em back, I say! No sense in starting another thread if one is already around.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you asked this question, Eric. I was just thinking the same thing recently because I have posted on a couple resurrected threads. I have only been around a few months ( as a registered member anyway). I often read the old threads but try resist the urge to post on them. I have been to less friendly forums where they get rude about reffering you to old threads,but then get irritated with resurrections too. I don't see that attitude here but I would like to know what other active and long term members think. I too would like to know what is prefered here.
    LeadedEL84

Post Thanks / Like

Well, reaction seems pretty uniform so far. I'll give it some more time and let everyone weigh in.
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub
    I say just add to the existing thread. That will save people from having to repeat themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub

Really, when threads get revived it's sort of like the conversation never ended. I kind of like seeing them come back because there is often some useful information in them.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I get a bit amused when the last action in the thread was over a year ago, but I also think if the new addition is interesting that the age of the previous thread does not make much difference. This place is much more lenient than others tho.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

There are gaps in my time here at The Fret where I didn't log in for a while, due to work or other obligations, so resurrecting old threads is a good thing.

I've been able to see some stuff that I had previously missed! I think it's also cool to see what others have written in the past, just to see if preferences/opinions have changed over time.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me that resurrecting old threads is the way to go. It's kind of like recycling; instead of throwing out the old one, you re-use it. Just my two cents.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

I argree on the old thread resurrection approach. Probably no surprise there as I've done it myself in the last week.

My opinion is that these things are a resource of information. Being able to add to or ask about that info is invaluable.

I appreciate your diplomatic approach, Eric. I tend to ask for forgiveness rather than permission...not always the right approach.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

I don't search the site hardly ever for old threads.
    I have need to know something I'll start a new thread but that is just who I am.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Just think...someday...this will be an old thread.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Just think...someday...this will be an old thread.
    When this is an old thread I'm going to post on it and say I hate it when people revive old threads. Just to mess with the newbies.
    LeadedEL84

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ressurect them. Rather than disjointed pieces of conversation, searching and reviving old ones is more efficient, and more useful, from a group point of view.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

To me there's so much stuff there already that I've missed so reviving an Old thread is not a bad thing, it just need some strength to read the 20 pages
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jipes
    To me there's so much stuff there already that I've missed so reviving an Old thread is not a bad thing, it just need some strength to read the 20 pages
    it is going on in other boards too,just shows members are looking at threads past instead of starting new ones asking something asked and answered before.yes it is good in that respect.
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have no problem with thread resurrection.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Resurrecting old threads and starting new ones on subjects previously discussed each have their good points. To suggest using the search function because you think there's a thread out there that may answer someone's newly posted question is cool. Being rude to someone isn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast