Thread: Strat wiring - capacitor values

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strat wiring - capacitor values

I am trying to get together the hardware and wiring for this Strat that is now like 5 years in the making. I am going traditional (three single coils) and most of the wiring I have seen has one capacitor with values ranging from 0.02uF to 0.1uF. Any takes on this? I was planning on using a capacitor I salvaged from a friends guitar that he smashed at the end of a great show because it has mojo. The multimeter says it's a 48nF (0.048uF) cap.

I was also going to use some high end audio wire for all the connections, but then I was reminded of something that one of my mentors once said to me about underwound pickups and cheap cables... that when you are talking about sound, a hotter signal or more gain or higher wattage, etc., etc.... is not necessarily better. Sometimes that old, obsolete, inefficient, (dangerous, environmentally hazardous) stuff just has a unique character that the new stuff just doesn't have......

Any other comments or suggestions on Strat wiring?

What have you guys done that you have liked?
    Guit Boxes: 87 MIJ Strat, Ibanez MIJ RG540, Korean Fender Dreadnaught, The Loar LH-500 (1934 L-5 Reproduction)

Amp: Marshall TSL100 amp head with JCM900 1960 Lead 4 X 12 angled cab

Effects: Crybaby, TS10 Tube Screamer, Badder Bad Monkey, Boss Metal Zone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here's help with the capacitor part from PremierGuitar.com...

Tone Capacitors for Stratocasters, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Tig, great link - thoroughly insightful

Navvid - was gonna offer my two cents, but the link is a much better resource. For quick reference, though, 0.047uf for single-coils and 0.022uf for humbuckers