Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Grounding myself to the guitar
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grounding myself to the guitar

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grounding myself to the guitar

I've just gone by the three-month anniversary of my attempt to torture my fingers into adhering to my will. AKA, learning to play the guitar. One thing that really annoys me is the horrible noise whenever I'm not grounded to the guitar by touching the strings. I'm thinking of wearing a ground belt like the electronic repair guys use and clipping myself to the cable housing, or even adding a direct tap to the bridge.

Anyone do something like this?
    John in Minnetundra
    MIM Tele, Dillion LP clone, G&L S-500
    My Other Hobby

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Man I tried one of those and it gave me GAS. Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

You may have a grounding problem with the guitar wiring, because your problem doesn't sound normal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IvortheEngineDriver
    I've just gone by the three-month anniversary of my attempt to torture my fingers into adhering to my will. AKA, learning to play the guitar. One thing that really annoys me is the horrible noise whenever I'm not grounded to the guitar by touching the strings. I'm thinking of wearing a ground belt like the electronic repair guys use and clipping myself to the cable housing, or even adding a direct tap to the bridge.

Anyone do something like this?
    I had a similar thing going on with my EVO 1000, tune-o-matic bridge with a stop-bar tail. What I found was going on, is the ground wire, supposed to be attached thru the body to one of the stop-bar threaded inserts, was not maiking contact at all. What that did was not ground the strings like they are supposed to be. That might be some thing to check into.
    If it is a strat-style with a trem, you want to make sure that the wire from the back of one of the pots to the spring claw is intact and soldered properly.
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like

It happens with everything I'm using; Tele, S-500, Dillion LP clone. Clean is pretty good, although the noise is there, just low. I get annoying noise if I overdrive the amp. If I hold the guitar without touching the strings, I get noise. Sat it down beside me, I get noise. Get up and walk away, noise disappears. So, it's me. I appear to be a first rate radiator of garbage sounds.
    John in Minnetundra
    My Other Hobby

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, Ivor...

I've never had that problem. If it is happening with all of your guitars, could it be some sort of amp problem?

I don't know... Maybe DVM or Tung can help you sort this out.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the guitar player from Cheap Trick getting ready to perform, and ridding himself of ground hum by making sure he's well-grounded:

"Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Have you swallowed anything magnetic lately?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zip
    Here's the guitar player from Cheap Trick getting ready to perform, and ridding himself of ground hum by making sure he's well-grounded:

I'm gonna need more cables.
    John in Minnetundra
    My Other Hobby

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thearabianmage
    Have you swallowed anything magnetic lately?
    Maybe it's the magnetic personality I imagine myself having?
    John in Minnetundra
    My Other Hobby

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried a quality cable (between the guitar & amp - I'm assuming no pedalboard, correct?)?
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Ivor: Don't feel too bad. I have a couple of Gibson Les Pauls that are the same. When you touch the strings no noise. I find it worse with any of my Marshall amps.
    Before you start trying to find a source, try eliminating any noise from Power bars and wall warts. I eliminated 80% of my noise by plugging my equipment directly into a wall plug. IF you are using power bars and wall warts to power pedal etc. you will pickup a lot of noise especially with heavy gain. I also use a pedal board that has a conditioned power supply. I use mostly Fulltone pedals and they are whisper quiet when it comes to 60 cycle hum.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Active pickups!
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    Before you start trying to find a source, try eliminating any noise from Power bars and wall warts. I eliminated 80% of my noise by plugging my equipment directly into a wall plug. IF you are using power bars and wall warts to power pedal etc. you will pickup a lot of noise especially with heavy gain. I also use a pedal board that has a conditioned power supply.
    Good advice that I've never heard before. Thx!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Good advice that I've never heard before. Thx!
    I am a fanatic about hum. When I was researching my pedal board they had a lot of information about conditioned power supplies. I was totally amazed at how much each item will multiply the hum. Including the gain channel!
    I had a funny situation a while back. I turned on my pedal board and I had an absolutely loud hum coming from my amps. I thought it was one of my pedals so I took every one out of the loop and tested. Still there. I was pulling my hair out.
    I checked my wall plug to see if there was a problem and I found that the pedal board was not plugged into the wall. It was plugged into a nearby power bar that I use for my stereo. I plugged back into the wall and the hum was totally gone.
    Apparently my wife was cleaning behind the sofa and knocked the plug out of the wall. She though it would be "better" if it was plugged into the power bar. I explained why and she now will not touch anything in my guitar room.
    Including dusting!
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    I am a fanatic about hum. When I was researching my pedal board they had a lot of information about conditioned power supplies. I was totally amazed at how much each item will multiply the hum. Including the gain channel!
    I had a funny situation a while back. I turned on my pedal board and I had an absolutely loud hum coming from my amps. I thought it was one of my pedals so I took every one out of the loop and tested. Still there. I was pulling my hair out.
    I checked my wall plug to see if there was a problem and I found that the pedal board was not plugged into the wall. It was plugged into a nearby power bar that I use for my stereo. I plugged back into the wall and the hum was totally gone.
    Apparently my wife was cleaning behind the sofa and knocked the plug out of the wall. She though it would be "better" if it was plugged into the power bar. I explained why and she now will not touch anything in my guitar room.
    Including dusting!
    Well, when your friends come over and asked where are you your wife can say "in the dusty room".
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't know exactly what kind of electric system the U.S. system is; I know it's not 230/50Hz like here, but I suppose it's quite similar in grounding etc. issues.

I've had a lot of different issues such as the one you mention, and I've also had problems with for instance amps that someone had lifted the ground off to fight a problem like that, and I've used some copper wire on my wrist in studio trying to fight it...

I don't know exactly why and how these ground loops occur, but I know it's vital to use only very good, checked, well grounded power source and from there on quality power cables. Sometimes even just turning a plug around in its socket may help, crazy as it seems...but in case of some transformer oscillation problems it can really help if all devices get the power in same phase...

But, active pickups...I started using to counter lighting noise, CRT monitor noise etc...never looked back. They work well.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

BTW you can die onstage playing a ground-lifted amp...I've been shocked a few times to my lips due to those...luckily always well under the full 230V.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    ...I've been shocked a few times to my lips due to those...
    Looks like that might be happening here?

Steve
    P R O J E C T - 4 3
    http://www.project-43.com/
    Support Indie Music!
    http://itunes.com/project-43

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast