Thread: Gigged last night with my VOX AD50VT

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gigged last night with my VOX AD50VT

I had a gig with my friend Jaron last night. I brought both the Hellhound and the Vox, just for backup. The Vox worked really well. I haven't used the Vox all that much live, because I like using my pedals with my Hellhound. I don't have the Vox footswitch yet.

Anyhoo, my OD pedals worked great with the Vox. I set the amp to the 4x10 tweed model and got a nice clean sound. I find I have to turn the bass down on the amp a bit when I turn up the amp volume, otherwise I get a boomy, hard-to-work-with bass. I didn't have the amp miked - our PA was a piece of junk that was only cabable of producing distorted vocals.

I only used my Monkeys, the Bad Monkey and the "Blue Monkey" (trademark name - Tone2thebone) - the Boss BD-2. Great tones all night!

We played at a Community Hall in small town, some sort of fundraiser thing.
    Last edited by Robert; November 27th, 2005 at 01:24 PM.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Far out Rob did you video record it? Did the Blue Monkey smoke?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

The Blue Monkey smoked! I was getting huge tones and sustain with it. No video, sorry. Next time! I got some good photos though.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

show us the pics.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I don't have the Vox footswitch yet.
    You dont have to buy this expensive VOX footswitch with its too short connection cable.

Every standard two-switch footswitch with stereo-jack will do it.

One switch will work as Ch1/Ch2 selector, the other as selector for manual mode or effect bypass. The programmig of the second switch is done by either pressing the manual oder bypass switch on the amp, hold down this switch an press the switch on the footswitch. So this is a function of the amp not the footswitch. My noname footswitch costs only 1/3 the price of the vox and has a 6 Meter cable instead of the 2,5 m cable of the vox.

I use the second switch as manual mode selector, so I have in effect a 3-channel-Amp.

Christian
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, Fame GX60R

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Chris, that is a great idea. I'll see what I can find in the music store next time I go there. As long as it works, I don't care if it says Vox or IKEA on it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar-Chris
    You dont have to buy this expensive VOX footswitch with its too short connection cable.

Every standard two-switch footswitch with stereo-jack will do it.

One switch will work as Ch1/Ch2 selector, the other as selector for manual mode or effect bypass. The programmig of the second switch is done by either pressing the manual oder bypass switch on the amp, hold down this switch an press the switch on the footswitch. So this is a function of the amp not the footswitch. My noname footswitch costs only 1/3 the price of the vox and has a 6 Meter cable instead of the 2,5 m cable of the vox.

I use the second switch as manual mode selector, so I have in effect a 3-channel-Amp.

Christian
    Yep, I am using an old Peavey two button footswitch. I saw the same Peavey switch a few months ago with two factory LEDS installed above each button. The LRDs let you know which button is off or on. I think it's a good idea since we get involved in playing and forget where we are.

Does anybody have any electical skills that can help determine the LED and resistor values to add the LEDs to our own footswitches? I measured the currect at 3 volts. I am assuming the circuit is DC. I am sure this would be an easy homebrew project once the values and a small schematic can be put togther.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

See my photo here! - http://www.dolphinstreet.com/music

Post Thanks / Like

You got a T Shirt from Vox?! Dang!

Post Thanks / Like

Default A question for all who use an ad50vt with pedals..

Is it true you can connect the pedals in the footswith jack? example..

in order..

Vox footswitch->Wah->fuzz or overdrive pedals->efect pedals(flanger,delay, reverb)-> footswitch jack.

OK, this is what I understood in other forums, but it is not said clear.. so do you guys know if this is correct to do, or have you done it, does it saound good?, I haven't tried it becuase I don't know if i affects the amp in any way... so.
    Any opinions would be helpfull..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ralf_gilmour
    Is it true you can connect the pedals in the footswith jack? example..
    As far as we talk about the VOX ADXXVT Series: No, that's not true. The footswitch is a simple sitch that is connectec seperatley and has nothing to do with the signal line. So you have to connect the footswitch direct to the amp and the guitar to the effects pedals and then into the amp-inout.

The AD100VT has es seperate effects loop. So the signal goes from the guitar to the amp input ito the peramplifier, then to the out-connector to the outboard effects (e.g. delay) then into the return-connector in the amp, to the power-amplifier an and last to the speaker.

Normally you put effects like distortion and wah wah in front of the amp (guitar-distortion-amp-input) and reverb or delay or sometimes chorus in the effect loop.
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Post Thanks / Like

Well thank you very much Chris. But one more doupt.. Im guessing you don't use any effects like delay or flanger in the INPUT of the amp becuase of the signal path and that wouldn't sound the best. Or am I wrong? let me know.
    Anyway I've also heard that you can custom your ad50vt an put an "effects loop on it", true? If true, is it worth it?

Post Thanks / Like

You're right, I'm not using Delay in front of my amp, only a booster/overdrive and a wahwah. I use the delay of the amp itself. But I tried a delay in front of the amp. It is ok, unless you use to much gain.

I don't know if you can ad a effect loop easily.
    Greetings

Christian

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Robert,

I'm glad that the Vox worked out well for the gig. I use mine all the time for playing out and I love it. I haven't tried to use any effects in line with the amp like you did.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718