Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
A new old toy ~

Thread: A new old toy ~

Post Thanks / Like

Default A new old toy ~

so a new journey begins ~
    I couldn't help but make an offer when I saw an old trombone posted on the local Craigslist. The woman was asking $250. Sight unseen I made an embarrassingly low offer of $60 and ended up with it for that price. It had belonged to her uncle who passed away a long time ago. She probably didn't get any other offers and she was hoping it would go to a good home. It has a beautiful (to me) patina, it looks like copper colored velvet on most of the old hand worn surfaces. I'm hoping I can figure out how to get some sounds out of it that don't send my dogs and cats running for cover.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, that's cool! Bet it'll take some practice to learn how to master that thing.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to find online some basic info on getting started. I hope I can play it without having to shave my mustache and beard, I have trouble getting a good seal on the mouthpiece so far ~
    Otherwise it will be destined to be a wall hanging !

Post Thanks / Like

I messed around with a few brass instruments when I worked at a music shop years ago. There were many old pieces laying around in the back room awaiting restoration. Some were operational, but never so in my hands. I found it takes great coordination,a major set of lungs,and a few magical spells to play brass. Hope you have more success than I did. LOL
    LeadedEL84

Post Thanks / Like

While poking around the net I found a really interesting vid of how a horn is made ~

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I would always marvel at how the big trumpet and trombone players cheecks used to blow up like a big bullfrog's, then go back to normal. I often wondered if when they were old that would sag down. LOL Don't see much of them any more unless it is in an orchestra.
    I rmember years ago when Jethro Tull started playing a flute on their records a lot of my buddies bought flutes.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, yeah, they look like bullfrogs

Post Thanks / Like

Ohhh, I played for years. I want to buy a new one, but I'd want a trigger. I should ship my old horn up from my parents, though...

Anyway, sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by otaypanky
    I'm trying to find online some basic info on getting started. I hope I can play it without having to shave my mustache and beard, I have trouble getting a good seal on the mouthpiece so far ~
    Otherwise it will be destined to be a wall hanging !

My teacher always rocked a mustache and beard. You should be fine. Soon your lips will be as strong as your fretting fingers... And it's likely gonna hurt just as much.