Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Money Saver Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Drink plain tap water instead of buying over-priced, environment-unfriendly bottled liquids.
    An under the kitchen sink carbon filtration unit is great for this. Takes out any of the bad taste, even the chlorine from treated water. Then buy those stainless tote bottles to eliminate any toxic gas leaching as you get from plastic, and you're good to go.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Eschew pants.

I would, and it would be comfortable in the 100 degree (F) heat, but I don't think my self esteem could handle all the pointing and laughing!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

So, where do you go for guitar consumables, like strings?

The local GAS station here is ridiculously high priced.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Use a clothline to dry clothes.
    I think I am the only freak on my street to do so, and I understand many/most HOAs prohibit it (along everything else!). I hate dryers almost as much as leaf blowers!

You should smell the laundry after a day in the sun... heavenly.

I started an collection of clothline pictures. on and off. Italy has the best ones, across narrow streets, with the workingman's jeans alongside the ladies unmentionables... delightful!
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe

Musician's Friend or Music 123 always runs a Christmas special on 12 packs of D'Addario XL110's. It's a staple on my Christmas list every year...cheaper by the dozen.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

I've bought some strings recently from Webstrings. They seem pretty decent, and they're pretty cheap ($2.99). Guitar Fetish also has strings, and Sumi says they're good. Those run $2.39 a set.

If you must have a name brand, buy in bulk. Good way to save money.

B stock items, factory blems and seconds are another good way to save. I also try to do as much shopping at the Grocery Outlet as possible. As mentioned a couple times already, the library is great. We "rent" quite a few movies from ours, which is only a block away.

Frankly I'm surprised Eric didn't start this thread a long time ago.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Drink plain tap water instead of buying over-priced, environment-unfriendly bottled liquids.
    That could be deadly some places!Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Yea a case of strings 25 bucks,now you CAN change your strings!Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

When you go out to eat,take a little toliet paper home with ya,stuff your pockets!,In Mexico and South America public toliets don't have TP you either buy in on your way in or bring it with you,if they insist on you paying to use THEIR toliet,I just drop my pants and start pissing at their feet,They ain't pullin no cons on this gringo,funny how you can hold of an attacker with a stream of piss.LOL!! Sumi

Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Yours too? Mine wants $20 for a set of Elixirs. Cheapest set-$8. I never went back and thanks god for MF online, I buy 'em by the 10 pack (for 3 guitars).
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    Frankly I'm surprised Eric didn't start this thread a long time ago.
    It's good to know that my reputation precedes me. I suppose putting my love of frugality in my user profile doesn't hurt...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

pes_laul Guest

Being a broke teenager Im the master at this!
    Whenever I go out with friends i always buy the cheapest meals and when we go to the movies I smuggle my own snacks in I bought from the gas station for five bucks.

and whenever I work I always put 40% of what I make in savings and keep the rest for spending money

Post Thanks / Like

I buy my food at the dollar store and that's big savings even over store brands. I have to find out what's good and what's not.

Of course there's a few things I have to get at a grocery store.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

You are off to a good start young PezK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pes_laul
    Being a broke teenager Im the master at this!
    Whenever I go out with friends i always buy the cheapest meals and when we go to the movies I smuggle my own snacks in I bought from the gas station for five bucks.

and whenever I work I always put 40% of what I make in savings and keep the rest for spending money
    Good for you! It's nice to see young people acting like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pes_laul
    Buy your snacks from the grocery store and you'll save even more. Gas stations have a much higher mark up generally.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hard as it is to accept, Internet & TV etc. are by far the largest expenditure one could live without. I easily spend something like 300-400 bucks a month just for those...we have four cell phones and six mobile data connections, ADSL+ and video-on-demand services etc, two PPC's, two laptops, two desktops, several online sites & domains...could do without most of them easy, if it came to that.

Including assorted PC hardware/upgrades and Xbox games and such adds up to a few hundred more. Which reminds me I'd need to buy another 1TB harddrive for the desktop...I could easily buy a very nice amp or guitar almost every month if I dropped all the computer etc. stuff and started reading instead. But instead a book or two I buy 2-3 Xbox/computer games a month.

Libraries...don't use no more. My time is so nonexistant these days, I simply have no time to read. Barely get to sleep 5-6 hours anyway although I'm supposed to be on holiday, can't spend any more time for reading. When I do, one book lasts me a month, and if I get one from library, I never have the time to finish it in due time & end up paying more for fines than a paperback copy would have cost, so I buy what I read most times.

Other than unnecessary technology, I could probably save another one or two hundred a month if I didn't use _any_ alcohol at all.

These are what my money goes to, besides mortgage&utility bills...other than that, I cycle to work, drive an old car as little as possible, never eat out or visit town really, or buy clothes etc. more than absolutely necessary. Often I don't eat real food at work to save a few bux, but buy those one-dollar 'coaster' pizzas to survive somehow (but that's good, keeps me thin.)
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Buy your snacks from the grocery store and you'll save even more. Gas stations have a much higher mark up generally.
    I usually try to go to a dollar store but when I go to the movies or something we usually never can find one :P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Hard as it is to accept, Internet & TV etc. are by far the largest expenditure one could live without. I easily spend something like 300-400 bucks a month just for those...we have four cell phones and six mobile data connections, ADSL+ and video-on-demand services etc, two PPC's, two laptops, two desktops, several online sites & domains...could do without most of them easy, if it came to that.
    Which is my concern about getting a smartphone to replace my aging Palm TX. That would add another $30 to my wireless bill because I have to get a data plan. Doesn't sound like much until you stop to think that that will be ~$400 over the course of a year. If I was constantly traveling, that would be one thing. I only pay ~$28/month for my 1.5 megabit cable connection.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast