Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Money Saver Thread

Post Thanks / Like

For those of us unwilling to part with cable tv entirely, consider giving up any premium channels (ie. HBO, Showtime, etc) in favor of getting the same shows via NetFlix. It's significantly cheaper. Yes, you have to wait for your favorite shows to be released on DVD, but you have to wait in between seasons when you watch on cable so it's a fair trade.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule
    Use a clothline to dry clothes.
    I think I am the only freak on my street to do so, and I understand many/most HOAs prohibit it (along everything else!).
    You should smell the laundry after a day in the sun... heavenly.
    We do this when the weather permits. Behind the fence in the back yard, the HOA nazi's never see it. However, we toss everything in the dryer for about 3-4 minutes to loosen the fabric up before folding or wearing.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Make and take your lunches to work.

Buying lunch out every day can really add up.
    Same goes with dinner vs eating out. Mrs Tig is a great cook, and I can throw together something decent when she's tired from work. Taking the family out to eat runs between $25-$60, and home cooked is always under $10.

Left-overs are good to take to work. When we do go out to eat, there's always at least 1 or 2 servings that go home for later.

Also, Mrs. Tig works at a clinic where the pharmaceutical rep's bring in catered lunch 3+ days a week. The clinic will throw away most of the excess, but she grabs a few helpings and puts them in the fridge for home use later. Saves us a bundle and it's good eats!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

That's a really great start, Pez...

Rule of thumb: If you keep and invest 10% of all you earn, you'll be at the very least, comfortable later on in life, and with a good career, wealthy.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Save nothing, only buy property and land...

Anyway, bottled water isn't always what it tries to be...studies show round here tap water is cleaner and better than any bottled water commercially available. Of course in some parts of the world it is different.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bit of a conundrum in the money savings area: I could have my Internet and cable TV for free, and pay a significantly discounted price for my phone, save on gas by driving a shorter distance to work, and live closer to the major shopping centers, thereby saving more gas, if I just moved to Salem. As it is, we live in a small town about 20 miles from Salem, where we like the school my fiancee's daughter attends, and we rent a three bedroom house with a finished attic that is my music room for a very reasonable price. If we moved, we'd have to move the kid to a new school, and we'd have a hard time finding a house that isn't three feet away from neighbors on both sides. The utilities are also more expensive in Salem. I really like the small town feeling of community, and it feels safe to walk the streets at night here. I live right next door to the post office, and a block from the library. There's a beer and wine bar within easy stumbling distance, and a new Indian restaurant that has excellent food. Another obstacle is that my fiancee just does not want to move. Since she's the mom, that pretty much is the law. Unfortunately for me, I guess.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    I have a bit of a conundrum in the money savings area: I could have my Internet and cable TV for free, and pay a significantly discounted price for my phone, save on gas by driving a shorter distance to work, and live closer to the major shopping centers, thereby saving more gas, if I just moved to Salem. As it is, we live in a small town about 20 miles from Salem, where we like the school my fiancee's daughter attends, and we rent a three bedroom house with a finished attic that is my music room for a very reasonable price. If we moved, we'd have to move the kid to a new school, and we'd have a hard time finding a house that isn't three feet away from neighbors on both sides. The utilities are also more expensive in Salem. I really like the small town feeling of community, and it feels safe to walk the streets at night here. I live right next door to the post office, and a block from the library. There's a beer and wine bar within easy stumbling distance, and a new Indian restaurant that has excellent food. Another obstacle is that my fiancee just does not want to move. Since she's the mom, that pretty much is the law. Unfortunately for me, I guess.
    I feel you, but you also have to think that you could use no electricity, not have internet, own no cars and just walk everywhere, and not buy any new guitars. That's an option, but it's not a very appealing one. There will always be an opportunity cost for your decisions, monetary or otherwise, but if it's important enough to you, it's worth spending the money on it. It sounds like you're in a pretty good situation right now. Enviable, I'd say.

Seems like it might be worth it to pay the extra costs. There does come a point where it is worth it; we all just have to find where that point is for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I feel you, but you also have to think that you could use no electricity, not have internet, own no cars and just walk everywhere, and not buy any new guitars. That's an option, but it's not a very appealing one. There will always be an opportunity cost for your decisions, monetary or otherwise, but if it's important enough to you, it's worth spending the money on it. It sounds like you're in a pretty good situation right now. Enviable, I'd say.

Seems like it might be worth it to pay the extra costs. There does come a point where it is worth it; we all just have to find where that point is for us.
    Good point. Thanks, Eric. There are plenty of things that mean more than money, and peace of mind and a happy family are right up at the top.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

I snapped my debit card in half. Now it's nearly impossible for me to spend my money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggs
    I snapped my debit card in half. Now it's nearly impossible for me to spend my money.
    Just call and have them send you a new one. Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Sumi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

That's good advice, Eric!

You have to prioritize your life. If all of your needs are met, and your financial plan is in place and funded, then what's left is what you use to create a lifestyle. Quality of life is up to each individual, but without it, what's the point of our efforts?
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggs
    I really like my credit card...

I have to spend money on food, gasoline, clothes, etc., anyway. So, I can pay cash or write a check and get...food, gasoline, clothes, etc.

<OR>

I can put it all on my credit card, write one check each month and....they give me free airline tickets (so I can go somewhere else and use my credit card to buy food, gasoline, clothes, etc....

What a deal!

Post Thanks / Like

hi, this is a great thread.
    i'm only 15 years old, but i receive about 80 €/month to pay my food from my school (great deal :P), but almost every day i walk to my home (about 1 mile) to eat, and that way i save a lot.
    i read that internet is futile and that we could live without it, but then how the hell could we read this damn thread???? (just kidding)
    if you are a student its always a good idea to get a part time job, or even a summer job just to get some extra bucks!!
    here in Portugal we can only work when we are 16, so next year ill get some 5 pm to 12 am job, and i still get some time to go to the beach, and get some money to, guess what, BUY A NEW GUITAR, AMP OR EFFECT PEDAL
    (this tips only work if you are still fed and dressed by your parents, like me)
    My favorite quotes:
    Music is like sex, its better when its free...
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    For those of us unwilling to part with cable tv entirely, consider giving up any premium channels (ie. HBO, Showtime, etc) in favor of getting the same shows via NetFlix. It's significantly cheaper. Yes, you have to wait for your favorite shows to be released on DVD, but you have to wait in between seasons when you watch on cable so it's a fair trade.
    I gave up cable completely, infavor of Netflix... Got the 3 at a time plan, a few XBox 360s and a computer, can watch stuff on the electronics and get dvds. $18 per month sure beats the crap outta $100 per month!
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like

Thrift stores. You might be amazed at the variety of items that you find there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pickngrin
    Thrift stores. You might be amazed at the variety of items that you find there.
    You gotta have an eye for this. My brain gels in thrift stores most of the time.

Mrs. Tig is a Master Chief of thrift stores and garage sales. She even manages to get new-in-box LED Christmas light strings for 2 or 3 bucks each. I could never list all the great buys she gets. Saves us all kinds of cash.
    Wimmens can be amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    You gotta have an eye for this. My brain gels in thrift stores most of the time.

Mrs. Tig is a Master Chief of thrift stores and garage sales. She even manages to get new-in-box LED Christmas light strings for 2 or 3 bucks each. I could never list all the great buys she gets. Saves us all kinds of cash.
    Wimmens can be amazing!
    Good point. I suppose that my thriftsight is pretty acute.

Post Thanks / Like

Wait and buy things you need further into the season. I wanted a new BBQ but decided to wait a while... now the store around here are clearing them out and the savings are substantial. Same goes after X-mas, the cards and wrapping paper are usually up to 75% off. Winter coats go onsale in February as the stores starts to fill the racks with their spring line-up. With a little planning, you can do well for yourself... the trick is to not just buy because it's onsale.

Happy shopping Fretters.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast