Thread: Tutorials to take on a trip?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tutorials to take on a trip?

I am on my way to spend some time on the road (Hi deeaa!) and have a junkish Linux laptop (running Wine, a windows emulator) to play with during downtime, sans guitar, sadly.

I have Fretboard Warrior, and a few saved whole web pages right now, and just wonder what else I could "pack" on there?

Ear training?
    Last edited by poodlesrule; August 4th, 2010 at 11:18 AM.
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this will be of interest.

Have a safe trip.

http://www.hitsquad.com/
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Guitar Pro is great for writing down and learning from.

However, if you are on a trip, you can't expert to learn guitar if you're not playing guitar. I would recommend you get some ear training software.
    Check out http://www.solfege.org - it is free.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Guitar Pro is great for writing down and learning from.

However, if you are on a trip, you can't expert to learn guitar if you're not playing guitar. I would recommend you get some ear training software.
    Check out http://www.solfege.org - it is free.
    I think GNUSolfege is the software that trashed a Linux PC I had a few months ago.
    I loved it, but I am fearful of using it again. OTOH, a Linux box is easy to make new.

True about not having a guitar being somewhat useless.

Funny, while on the trip, very early morning, in bed, using Fret Warrior, my POS laptop disk drive went click, click and died...!
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lately, I have been downloading podcasts such as Jazz Insights, by Dr. Gordon Vernick, of Georgia State University: http://www.music.gsu.edu/directory.aspx?Id=81 I play these in my car while driving, though my iPhone.

Not technique oriented, but very interesting, and can be instructive as far as music construction goes. The cool jazz podcasts covering Miles, Coltrane and others in the late 50s through 60s, and the changes that were occurring, how each of the different artists approaches differ ( like Miles Davis as compared with Coltrane as opposed to Cannonball on "So What") and that helps me to understand different ways to approach melody, etc. I get these free from iTunes U.

The "Kind of Blue" series of podcasts, 4 in all, are among my favorites so far.

I also downloaded a series of music theory podcasts from iTunes U, though honestly, most have been over my head, and a little dry to listen to. I am going to go back to them next road trip, and see if I can muddle through some more though.

These things are free too! Very cool.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; October 7th, 2010 at 12:08 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Great suggestion, Steve. I am getting these from iTunes right now!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.