Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fender Blacktops

Post Thanks / Like

I am getting one of these as soon as I sell my FMT HH Tele.
    The guitar recieved rave reviews from my guys where I bought most of Guitars.
    Metal Heads Rejoice!!!

Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, I learned something good about the Strat Blacktop from the top video. The 5-way switch makes it the clear choice above the other 3-way Blacktops.

Position 1. Full Bridge Pickup
    Position 2. Two Inside Single Coils
    Position 3. Both Full Humbucking Pickups
    Position 4. Outer Neck Single Coil
    Position 5. Full Neck Pickup

Still, be sure to demo one before buying, as the quality may or may not be questionable.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Maxi,
    I played the Strat, Sat. at a local music store. The playability was very good, fret ends nicely finished, good action. The only thing I didn't care for were the pickups in single coil mode. They didn't sound much different to my ears, just less volume. None of that single coil bite and edge I expected.......just not as loud. Humbucker mode kicked butt, but I have plenty of humbucker guitars, so I passed. Nice guitar, tho.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    The only thing I didn't care for were the pickups in single coil mode. They didn't sound much different to my ears, just less volume. None of that single coil bite and edge I expected.......just not as loud.
    When I've tried coil tapping/shunting that's also been my observation. I've found that running the coils in parallel instead of series does a better (although still not perfect) single coil impersonation AND it remains hum-canceling.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    When I've tried coil tapping/shunting that's also been my observation. I've found that running the coils in parallel instead of series does a better (although still not perfect) single coil impersonation AND it remains hum-canceling.
    Same here. I enjoy the fact that my Godin has coil splitting in positions 2 and 4, but the split of the neck pickup is just a lower-output version of the neck with some buzz added in. The split bridge pup does sound remarkably tele-ish, however.

I've never tried ones in parallel. It runs both HBs in parallel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Maxi,
    I played the Strat, Sat. at a local music store. The playability was very good, fret ends nicely finished, good action. The only thing I didn't care for were the pickups in single coil mode. They didn't sound much different to my ears, just less volume. None of that single coil bite and edge I expected.......just not as loud. Humbucker mode kicked butt, but I have plenty of humbucker guitars, so I passed. Nice guitar, tho.
    Thanks, OG I have 2 humbuckers guitars and one I never really bonded with
    my Tele FMT HH coil tap neck thru 15.75 Radius and just never seem to mesh.
    So, My plan is to sell it get a Blacktop thus I would have HH axe I could take anywhere without any worries and size neck and radius I am very comfortable with. Because my LP is not going to be leaving the house except for an occasional practice from time to time.

My 1st choice prior to this guitar being released was the Ibanez Dark Stone
    DN500 http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-DN500K
    The problem with this guitar no one and I mean no one seems to have one in stock to test drive. So, the blacktop may win out lack of competition.

I also have come across DBZ LP style guitars that look great on the internet but have yet even try to see how the fit & feels works for me.

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/4...ntage-Natural/
    http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/6...iberian-Quilt/

The Blacktop is cheaper by $150.00 to the Ibanez and $250.00 to the DBZ so it seems to be a no brainier to get the blacktop Strat then either Ibanez or DBZ at some latter date.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I've never tried ones in parallel. It runs both HBs in parallel?
    AFAIK on the Blacktops it uses coil tapping/shunting. I only did it on a guitar I had. I haven't done that with my guitar. Not sure if I will but it sounds like an interesting experiment. The problem is that with coil shunting you can use one switch to do both pickups. Series/parallel is a bit more complicated so you will need a DPDT switch for each pickup.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12