Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Nfl 2010 - Page 11
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Nfl 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So the Seahawks are on top of AFC West, despite not being all that impressive, and a not that impressive win over Arizona. Well, I am glad they are winning some and mixing it up anyway, so as a Seahawks fan, I will take it. Good to see some positive changes come for them. As a life long UW Husky fan, I have mixed emotions that it is being captained by Pete Carroll. Feels like we hired the enemy, but still, nice to see the improvements!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Seattle is definitely good enough to win what is one of, if not the, most mediocre divisions in the NFL. I could easily see an 8-8 team winning that division.

The Bucs won an ugly won at home over the Rams yesterday. I'm not nearly as enthralled with Sam Bradford as the experts. I think he could eventually be very good, but the Bucs defense was playing terribly and if he was as good as they say he already is, he should have torn them apart. Luckily for the Bucs (who killed drive after drive with stupid penalties) the Rams' defense decided to take the second half off and let the Bucs back into the game and second year QB Josh Freeman engineered a final drive capped off by a TD pass to Carnell Williams for the win. Many "fans" here in Tampa bash Freeman, but I've yet to see them make any valid points about why they don't like him, leading me to believe (combined with other comments they make about the coach) that they don't like Freeman because of his race. What I see week in and week out is a young QB who learns from his mistakes and gets progressively better each week. If the Bucs are smart enough to stick with him, they'll have a solid NFL QB for years to come.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes, the 'Hawks should be good enough to win that division. The AZ game showed them winning not playing all that impressively. I would love to see them develop a confidence and ethic, with their new teammates and coach, to play as well as they can and establish a new standard, not just well enough to win in an mediocre division.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Stick with Coach Carroll and they should build a winning tradition over the next few years, and for once it won't be against the rules for Carroll to use money to recruit top talent.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    Stick with Coach Carroll and they should build a winning tradition over the next few years, and for once it won't be against the rules for Carroll to use money to recruit top talent.
    Hey now, you're poking my mixed feelings as a Husky fan! (rassen frassen, southern cal, gall dang money, OC nouveau riche, entitled plastic surgery culture, frick'n USC buying the division, cheaters with perfect hair, dang trojan band hate that song Tusk GRRRRRRRRR!!!) LOL, see what I mean?

Go Seahawks! Would have been nice if the Chuck Knox football culture and the original Curt Warner/John L. Williams running game (if it stayed healthy long enough) along with Steve Largent had made it all the way through, but I am willing to let go of the SC thing since Carroll is not now banned from spending money, and see what he can do.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; October 25th, 2010 at 08:51 AM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the Browns made some noise this weekend for sure. From crawling, to walking, to running. One step at a time...

As Winston Churchill said: "Now, this is not the end. It isn't even the beginning of the end. But, perhaps it is the end of the beginning."
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Stick with Coach Carroll and they should build a winning tradition over the next few years
    I'm curious whether that will lead to continued success. Carroll's track record when he was in New England was awful. The players he signed turned out to be albatross after albatross that were around the Pats' neck for a few years.

Hopefully he does better with the 'Hawks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Hey now, you're poking my mixed feelings as a Husky fan! (rassen frassen, southern cal, gall dang money, OC nouveau riche, entitled plastic surgery culture, frick'n USC buying the division, cheaters with perfect hair, dang trojan band hate that song Tusk GRRRRRRRRR!!!) LOL, see what I mean?
    Personally, I don't like seeing him gone from USC (one of the teams I root for out of family loyalty). Now they're stuck with Lane Kiffin who I think is (a) a terrible coach, and (b) so over-the-top unethical that he makes Carroll look like a boy scout. As one ESPN analyst put it months ago, "If the cliche is 'if you're not cheating, you're not trying' then Lane Kiffin is trying extremely hard."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I'm curious whether that will lead to continued success. Carroll's track record when he was in New England was awful. The players he signed turned out to be albatross after albatross that were around the Pats' neck for a few years.
    I agree with you there. Not sure he was ready to be an NFL head coach yet at that point. Not all former coordinators can make the jump to head coaching without falling flat on their faces. Sometimes they need to learn to be a head coach at the college level. So far, it looks like Carroll has one good draft under his belt. He needs to build on that over the next three or four years and manage to bring in complementary veteran talent. Luckily for the Hawks, they're in a division in which everyone is rebuilding (or needs to) so it may be less of an uphill climb than it might be in other divisions where the talent gap is much wider.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I hope every one knows my SC rant is meant to be humorous and tongue in cheek. I will admit, USC is the one team I really do not care for, but of course I do not mean all that bile I was spewing up above.

I hope Pete does well. He seems to be making good moves so far. I also know and admit that UW went through their own recruiting scandals in the 90s. It is my hope that UW is doing a more ethical job. But who is to really say. It seems it is dangerous (to ethics at least) to be at the top, and really try to stay there.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, as the UW guy you are, I'd question it if you DIDN'T feel some animosity towards USC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I also know and admit that UW went through their own recruiting scandals in the 90s. It is my hope that UW is doing a more ethical job. But who is to really say. It seems it is dangerous (to ethics at least) to be at the top, and really try to stay there.
    Jerramy Stevens...

I used to have a link to a story on him that was disturbing. It made me shudder with fear for the human race when I read it.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Jerramy Stevens...

I used to have a link to a story on him that was disturbing. It made me shudder with fear for the human race when I read it.
    I suspect I know the story you're talking about, though as he was not charged, I will let people google it for themselves rather than accuse him myself.

Incidentally, Stevens was, thankfully, released by the Bucs today following his most recent run-in with the law this past weekend. While this most recent arrest was for cannabis posession (a subject I have very strong feelings about) it's his previous legal troubles which made me wonder why he was still with the Bucs, still in the league at all, and still a free man.

While he was not charged in the incident I am thinking of (whether or not it's the one Eric is thinking of as well), he was charged in another incident with assault (a crime to which he accepted a plea deal) as well as being charged with and found guilty of at least three DUIs, one of which was a hit-and-run in which Stevens drove his car into a nursing home.

I am sincerely glad the Bucs have finally cut ties with the man.

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect I know the story you're talking about, though as he was not charged, I will let people google it for themselves rather than accuse him myself.
    It's a series of stories called Victory and Ruins by the Seattle Times. What that story proved to me is that for most athletes on a high level in a popular sport, there are different rules, and (at least right now) a host of willing enablers.

My point isn't necessarily to call out UW, but SVL's comment just reminded me of the story of Stevens, which is a sad statement on how we as a society deal with the concept of celebrity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm, I had moved away by then and I was in the middle of having babies born into my family during the time Stevens was at UW and before, when he was a part of my old high school region. As such, I was mostly unaware and did not read about those events. As a defense attorney, I am not one to hop on the band wagon regarding unproved conduct. But certainly Mr. Stevens has had his problems. More than that, I cannot say.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I'm quite happy to see the Seahawks winning again, even if it may be a very ugly win. After dealing with such dismal coaches as Tom Flores, Jim Mora, and Dennis Erikson, I'm thrilled that Carroll is at least fielding a competetive team. They seem to have a much-improved attitude from last year.

It's nice to know that your team stands a chance of winning at least.

However, I really do miss Holmgren.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, Holmgren seemed a class act. All the ethic of Knox, with a good deal more imagination.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

STEELERS BENEFACTORS OF THE REF'S GETS A WIN IN MIAMI 5-1 heading to the big easy for Halloween night yeah boy!!!

That rule will be changed before next season starts.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Well, my fantasy team is 7-0 now. Does that count?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast