Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nfl 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nfl 2010

Some of you guys must be looking forward to this coming NFL football season.

The Rev's Lions got Suh under contract and into camp. Stafford should develop nicely in his second year. You’ve got a good running game again. Things are looking up for the Lions.

I’m trying to remain optimistic with my team's best player holding out of training camp.

For the record, I support Darrelle Revis 100%. Been reading a lot of other Jets fans and writers using the “honor your contract” argument, but the teams don’t honor their contracts, so why hold the players to a different standard. The Jets have a history of asking guys to restructure their contracts before they’re up and if they refuse they are cut or traded. That doesn’t seem different than a player asking for a new deal before his old deal is up. Whether or not Revis “deserves” to be the highest paid CB in football isn’t as relevant as the fact that right now he’s only the eighth highest paid player in the Jets defensive backfield. He may or may not be the best CB in the league (I say he is) but he’s surely the best DB on the Jets and should be paid accordingly. My biggest problem though is that the hang up is over guaranteed money, as usual. Jets owner Woody Johnson (net worth $3.3 billion per Forbes magazine) has raised issues about putting guaranteed money in contracts. I happen to agree as I think in most cases what you get is a lazy player who doesn’t care because he already got paid (see Albert Haynesworth) but I also prefer consistency to situational ethics. Johnson was fine with the contract for unproven rookie QB Mark Sanchez which has $28 million guaranteed yet he won’t approve any guaranteed money for a fourth year player whom the head coach and General Manager have repeatedly called the best defensive player in the NFL. It doesn’t make ethical or business sense.

Sorry for the rant, but the business side of sports can make one a bit insane, especially when it affects a team that is trying to make a run at a title. I have a lot to see on the field before I believe this team is as good as it’s alleged to be.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

This should prove to be a long thread, eh? I'm surprisingly eager about this upcoming season. I don't have my TV connected to anything other than a DVD player, so I'm not yet sure how I'll watch games, but I think it will be good to have football happening again.

As far as the Jets/Revis thing goes, I don't really know what will happen. I started writing a couple of predictions, but then realized that they would just be guesses. My instinct says that the Jets will eventually cave, but I'm not sure how they are salary-wise after blowing their load in the offseason. Generally speaking, I blame this whole thing on the rookie salary situation. Players are forced to sign long contracts for huge money, and it works against both team and player. Revis is underpaid because he's still in his rookie deal, while the Jets had to pay through the nose for Sanchez because that's how the rookie deals work. They need slotting and probably shorter contract lengths desperately.

I don't really know what stories I'm most interested in this year. Kolb in Philly is one of them obviously, but I usually like stories from around the league. Who do you think will be a surprise team this year, since there are always some out there? Who do you think will flop? Any predictions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you about the rookie salary structure being a large part of the problem with labor issues arising with the rest of the league which may very well cost everyone a 2011 season.

As for who may over/under perform expectations this year, I have to put my Jets at the top of the list for possible underachievers. I'm not going to say title or bust, but I would be disappointed with anything less than a return to the AFC championship game. With the talent they brought in they have a lot to prove to me though. I have no problem with them bringing in Tomlinson though I think Thomas Jones was a stronger runner and more consistent. As long as the plan is to use LT sparingly and give the majority of the carries to Shonn Greene, I think we can have a strong running game again. McKnight has a LOT to prove to accept him as a replacement for Leon Washington who was the best offensive player on the team.

Santonio Holmes was a steal and it can only benefit Sanchez to have a receiver of that caliber. As for the defensive side of the ball, I have faith in Rex, but it's hard to know how they will perform without Revis should that be necessary. I guess when they play we'll see how it works out.

I think expectations are high for the 49ers and I'm not sure they're going to live up to them. The defense will probably shine, taking on the mentality of their coach, but I think the media loves Singletary so much that they are all jumping on the Niners' bandwagon a bit too fast. Alex Smith has a lot to prove at QB before I believe in that offense. Then again, without Warner in Arizona and Boldin to draw the double team off of Fitzgerald, the NFC West could be anybody's to win.

Living in Tampa, I am interested in seeing the Bucs this year. I have no expectations other than hoping they improve from last year. It's a very young team and I'd like to see it stay together for a few years because there is some excellent potential talent that needs time to gel together as a unit. In three years if they're still a 3-13 team I'll reevaluate but for now I just want to see them make it competitive every Sunday.

Not sure what to make of the McNabb-less Eagles. Kolb certainly has talent. Now let's see if he can make use of it. I think the Eagles defense is not what it used to be so they will need to be able to score points aplenty to win some games. Very interested in the two games against Washington to see how McNabb fares against his former team.

I don't think it will surprise many if Houston is a playoff team this year. They just need a more consistent running game.

As usual, the other thing I am keeping an eye on is former USF Bulls. I wish them all well, even if means having to root in part for the Giants at least when Pierre-Paul is on the field.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

I'm kind of with you on the Jets, only because they have so many recognizable players at this point. I figure there's no way they can live up to the expectations people will place on them. If memory serves, they have Holmes, Braylon Edwards, LT, Antonio Cromartie, Jason Taylor, and all of the returning players like Bart Scott, Kris Jenkins, etc. That's a lot of star power, and that usually breed unrealistic expectations.

As far as they Eagles go, I think Kolb will perform really well, actually. My concern is with the defense and the offensive line. The secondary is weak, the linebackers are unknown or returning from injury, and the defensive line still has some questions on the tackles and one of the end spots. Also, I think the running back position is a little shallow. We'll see. I'm being optimistic and saying something like 10-6.

I really don't know enough to say much about surprise teams in either direction, but Arizona is an obvious favorite to have a down year. I feel like Atlanta could potentially have a resurgent year, but they're right on the bubble.

It wouldn't blow me away if Oakland has a surprisingly good year and makes the playoffs. Jason Campbell, while possibly not the best quarterback ever, is still quite an upgrade from JaMarcus Russell.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

It would be a pleasant surprise if all of those guys can perform up to their potential in the same season but that's precisely what it will take to win a championship. I am happy to see Jenkins back in the lineup. That the Jets managed to have the top defense against the run without him last year was nothing short of amazing. With him back I am less concerned about facing some of the big time runners we will have to face this year.

I agree that Oakland will be competitive in their division. They had a losing record but were in many of the games they lost and Campbell is a major upgrade at QB from JaMarcus or even the adequate Bruce Gradkowski. They also, for once, used their first pick on someone useful in linebacker Rolando McClain.

Kansas City may be pretty good in that division as well if Cassells can get it together. Thomas Jones will still give 1000 yards if he stays healthy and the Chiefs can play defense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    Some of you guys must be looking forward to this coming NFL football season.

The Rev's Lions got Suh under contract and into camp. Stafford should develop nicely in his second year. You’ve got a good running game again. Things are looking up for the Lions.
    Yeah, well, we'll see. With two wins total the past two years, you'll have to forgive me if I'm slightly less than optimistic. They'll need two more quality drafts before they begin to concern anyone. It's nice to have some players that others say are real threats, but they said the same thing about Charles Rogers, Shaun Rogers, Roy Williams, etc., etc.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody needs permission from a Jets' fan to be pessimistic. Trust me, I get it.

My team is the fashionable pick of the talking heads to be at the top of the conference and I still see them just as easily going 8-8 if multiple variables don't fall into place simultaneously.

As a sports fan I believe in probability, but as a lifelong Jets' fan I also believe in history.

I do find myself reading a lot more articles about the Bucs these days because none of them mention the absence of my favorite player at camp. I'm interested to see Freeman in year 2, and I think the Bucs have finally gotten a good core of young linebackers around which to build a solid defensive scheme. I doubt they will win more than 6 games or so, but that's an improvement. I just want the losses to be competitive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Eric, with an antenna you can get the major networks. That will get you most of the NFL games.

Being a Browns fan, I don't have much to look forward to, other than another year of speculation about Mangini's future.

Post Thanks / Like

The issue with the NFL Players Association (NFLPA) & Owners is the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) percentage of PROFITS!
    The level for this season is 52% to NFLPA 48% Owners. The owners want a decrease in profit sharing and a decrease to team cap levels.

The owners are crying broke PLEASE!!! TV PROFITS are at an all time high and profit sharing from team to team (local TV market profits sharing) is also at an all time high! The teams with huge fan base travel beyond great, go to any Steelers, Cowboys, Eagels, or Patriots (just to name a few) away games and in most cities with a losing team & you think its their home stadium. There is plenty of money to be had by all. OH, by the way this year Dish Network paid an undisclosed amount to air NFL Red Zone! MORE MONEY MORE MONEY MORE MONEY!!!!

The NFL is the only pro sports league where they can make a player renegotiate their contract because they have no guarantee contracts in the NFL. That is why most NFL contracts are usually front loaded and high on incentives. Imagine you come to work one day and they say take a 30% to 50% pay cut or get fired. This happens every year to way to many players under contract and its completely played out as if he does not "ACCEPT THIS HARD BALL TACTIC" the player is some how not a TEAM PLAYER! Yet if he wants a pay increase for being the BEST at what he does "HE IS NOW SOME HOW SELFISH AND GREEDY"! Hell I work and get a raise every year or I move on. Heck because I am a highly skill IT professional I do not deserve my raises because Joe blow make less as a short order cook "Really"!! but that is the attitude the average person takes towards professional athletes.

Please give me a break if the owners want to decrease your contract that is fine but if you want a raise as a player your a greed monger! That is straight up BS. I.E. CHRIS JOHNSON & DARRELLE REAVIS.

The owners get away with this because the PUBLIC/FANS are full envy & jealousy towards what NFL players make or any other professional athlete for that matter.

I support the players 1000000% on this issue the average player in the NFL plays only 3.5 years. So, with that in mind why would anyone deny them what they deserve for all they put into it. Your not a TEAM PLAYER unless you play HURT. The hell with what that will to do your body when your no longer playing Hell you made enough money right! Maybe because the fan base has whoulda-shoulda-cloulda attitude towards the professional athlete!

So, Yeah there will be a strike next year in both the NFL & NBA!
    The owners held all of the chips for far to long and really want to go backwards in its treatment of the athletes.

Of all of the professional sports leagues the NFLPA has more reason to strike than any other league IMHO!

Those billionaire owners will be just fine I guarantee you!!! No one ever put limits on what they can make in their fields of endeavor but its perfectly fine to expect the athlete to except limits.

As far my team The STEELERS we could win it all or fail to make the playoffs again all depends on how hungry they are to win it all. the STEELERS have the talent its all about attitude and drive to excel at this point.

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK
    Those billionaire owners will be just fine I guarantee you!!! No one ever put limits on what they can make in their fields of endeavor but its perfectly fine to expect the athlete to except limits.
    I tend not to pick sides too much in labor disputes of this sort, but I do have certain areas in which I feel improvement is needed, if only for the end quality of the product.

That being said, I usually try to see both sides of it. I have heard arguments very similar to yours before, but I find this to be an interesting counterpoint:

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/22/o...n-free-agency/

I realize it's not a perfect parallel, as talent distribution and revenue sharing is different between the two leagues, but it did give me a slightly different view on the they're-rich-so-obviously-there's-no-money-shortage point of view.

As far my team The STEELERS we could win it all or fail to make the playoffs again all depends on how hungry they are to win it all. the STEELERS have the talent its all about attitude and drive to excel at this point.
    Hmm. I guess they could do all right, but they'll be without The Rapist for, what, four games? Six games? Are they missing anyone else? I feel like I'm forgetting something/someone.

Did you grow up around Pittsburgh? I like to know the connection for people and teams. Sometimes there is none (I used to really like the Jags for no reason whatsoever), but when there is I find it to be a good chance to find out a little more of a person's story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK
    I support the players 1000000% on this issue the average player in the NFL plays only 3.5 years. So, with that in mind why would anyone deny them what they deserve for all they put into it. Your not a TEAM PLAYER unless you play HURT. The hell with what that will to do your body when your no longer playing Hell you made enough money right! Maybe because the fan base has whoulda-shoulda-cloulda attitude towards the professional athlete!

So, Yeah there will be a strike next year in both the NFL & NBA!
    The owners held all of the chips for far to long and really want to go backwards in its treatment of the athletes.
    I tend to agree with you in general, although I am loathe to side with anyone in a millionaires vs. billionaires argument. One thing is for sure: they need a rookie salary cap. As good as Suh is, a 20% raise over last year's #2 and almost as much guaranteed money as the franchise QB (whose contract was already insane)? Craziness. I mean, Eric Berry is the most highly paid safety in football now without taking a single snap.

One minor correction to what you said at the end of what I quoted, but it will be a lockout in the NFL, not a strike. I'm not savvy enough to know if that will be the case in the NBA as well. The thing is, I don't think that the NBA can survive a prolonged lockout/strike. It certainly would benefit the NHL.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

@ Eric the NBA is a different breed than the NFL.
    The NBA plays with the numbers much like baseball does and smaller markets do have concerns but they created the market by signing journey men players for the money they do. NBA 12 to 15 players 42 home games @ on average 10,000 souls in the seats @ an avg of $50.00 dollars a seat not including sky boxes or floor seats lets see that is approx 21000 million per team. Throw in Local TV, sky boxes, floor seats, stadium sales (parking, food etc etc ) League revenue sharing & League TV sharing and quickly the money rises fast. The issue in the NBA is the smaller markets make far less money from local TV and Game ticket prices than does the larger markets and they now face the baseball effect where only the big cities truly have a chance to win the Championship. But they created the market. I think the CBA in that league will have to drop some for it to stay at is current popularity peak.

The NFL wants the players to assume all the risk while they rake in more money. An most players in the NFL do not make any where near $1,000,000.00 dollars a year only the stars and some starters do. Some do come close to that. Its more more of we (owners) want them to accept less so we can make more and since more talent comes out of school every year we hold all the cards so lets push them back as far as we can while the court of public opinion rest on our side! But to avoid the lookout next summer a rookie cap would be a great start.

I worked for the Raiders , I know tons of pro players from guys I played with in high school to college (now these guys should get payed but that is another thread altogether) to the guys I worked with during my Raiders years. I do realize my point of view has a lot to do with the damage the game does to their bodies and for that amount of damage they are way under payed. Yes they accept the risk willingly but does change the effects of the game long term. I would also be far less critical of the owners if they themselves lived up to contracts they signed the players to and not play take it or else drama come year 4 of your 5 year deal.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I tend to agree with you in general, although I am loathe to side with anyone in a millionaires vs. billionaires argument. One thing is for sure: they need a rookie salary cap. As good as Suh is, a 20% raise over last year's #2 and almost as much guaranteed money as the franchise QB (whose contract was already insane)? Craziness. I mean, Eric Berry is the most highly paid safety in football now without taking a single snap.

One minor correction to what you said at the end of what I quoted, but it will be a lockout in the NFL, not a strike. I'm not savvy enough to know if that will be the case in the NBA as well. The thing is, I don't think that the NBA can survive a prolonged lockout/strike. It certainly would benefit the NHL.
    The NFL is far from a billionaire V.S. millionaire situation. most players in the NFL are not millionaires but thats grasping at straws. LOL I agree on the rookie salary cap completely. But my fix for that lies in the NCAA trying to pretend these guys are student athletes! Maybe at Harvard or some other IVY league school or division 2 or 3 school but that is a whole other issue altogether.

You are right the owners will call it a lockout in both sports the end result would be a strike if they tried to force them to accept their new rules without a new CBA in place. The players would strike but I think lockout sounds better for public relations for both parties!!!! LOL
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:

Post Thanks / Like

It's official, the Jets and Darrelle Revis have reached a deal and he will be ready to roll week one against the Ravens.

Somebody call Hank Williams because with my favorite player (and the team's best player) back in the fold, I am now officially ready for some football.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...fl-season.html

Post Thanks / Like

I figured something like that would happen, R of G. No football player really can afford to take a whole season off (especially with a lockout looming). The Jets really need him in order to have an effective defense.

Now to see if my Lions can steal one at Soldier Field on Sunday. I'll even be able to see it on the tube!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    As far as they Eagles go, I think Kolb will perform really well, actually. My concern is with the defense and the offensive line. The secondary is weak, the linebackers are unknown or returning from injury, and the defensive line still has some questions on the tackles and one of the end spots. Also, I think the running back position is a little shallow. We'll see. I'm being optimistic and saying something like 10-6.
    10-6 is pretty hopeful for our IGGLES. 8-8 if they're lucky is my guess. Kolb is fine in spurts but I don't think he'll do it game in and game out. The OL is weak on the blindside and the defense may be porous. Rebuilding for us I think.

R and G.......congrats on Revis re-signing. The Jets absolutely HAVE to have him to get to the SB......so I don't know why they played around with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython
    The Jets absolutely HAVE to have him to get to the SB......so I don't know why they played around with it.
    That's the Jets' way, always trying to see if there's a way to get it done on the cheap.

As happy as I am about Revis being back, it still came on the heels of them cutting FB Tony Richardson, who's not only a beast of a fullback, but one of the classiest guys in the NFL.

They cut him and hope to re-sign him after week one when his $800,000 something salary for the season is no longer guaranteed, and all for a savings of a single game check of about $50,000 if he winds up playing weeks 2-17. Yet the owner is the 64th richest man in the world per Forbes magazine and this is an uncapped season.

Just another example of the Jets' management style. I love the coaching staff, but hate the front office.

And Rev, I agree that nobody is really wanting to sit out a whole season, especially this one knowing that it'd likely be sitting out for two years as we all know there likely won't be a 2011 season. Still, at age 24 and under the wing of his millionaire uncle Sean Gilbert, Revis could have made serious on his threat. I'm glad it didn't come to that because I didn't envision a scenario like that ending with him ever playing for the Jets again. At least now he's ours for four years.

Good luck to the Lions. I'd like to see them do well this season.

I don't know what to make of the Eagles this year. Kolb has a lot of potential but not a whole lot of protection from his line and as fine an arm as he has, I don't know that the Eagles have the running game to keep a defense honest and not just lock down the receivers and rush the heck out of Kolb knowing that the Eagles pretty much have to throw the ball. The defense is definitely not what it once was.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython
    10-6 is pretty hopeful for our IGGLES. 8-8 if they're lucky is my guess. Kolb is fine in spurts but I don't think he'll do it game in and game out. The OL is weak on the blindside and the defense may be porous. Rebuilding for us I think.
    Yeah, there's an awful lot of questions about Kolb (including why the "L" is not pronounced). Anyway, there's a ton and a half of questions with my Lions. Basically I would not be surprised if they go 2-14, nor would I be surprised if they go 8-8.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting opening weekend.

Marnold, what a tough one to deal with for the Lions. First Stafford goes down, then that call at the end. I know it was the "right" call but it's the rule itself I have an issue with. So many other things are left to an official's discretion that I find it hard to think most officials wouldn't say Calvin caught that ball. I guess the upside is that the Lions were competitive right up to the last play of the game. I hope Stafford makes it back sooner rather than later.

The hometown Bucs won their opener. The hometown didn't get to watch it because of the blackout rules. If a team wins a game and nobody gets to watch it on tv, does it still count? A lot of locals are focusing on the fact that they "only beat" another subpar team in the Browns, but this is the NFL, not the NCAA where fairytale notions of "strength of schedule" are a factor. In the NFL, when the clock reads 0:00, all that matters is what it says on the scoreboard. For a franchise like the Bucs, wins are something to be treasured, not nitpicked over.

Overall a good opening weekend so far.

Big test tonight for my Jets on both sides of the ball. If they want to compete at all in the AFC, Baltimore is just the kind of measuring stick I want to see them open the season with.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast