Default Anyone use these tubes?

_____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman
    Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but Groove Tubes aren't that special. Talk to the guys at EuroTubes. They're really great guys, and super helpful. You're probably aware of them, but if you haven't done business with them, you should give them a try. I know there are more than a couple folks here who can back me up on that.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but Groove Tubes aren't that special.
    I think that is true. I know at one time they were the tubes to have, but now I remember someone telling me that they saw some Groove Tubes and they were just restickered Soviet Tubes

Here is another good place for tubes http://thetubestore.com/
    Last edited by mapka; August 5th, 2010 at 09:41 PM.
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Groovetubes are relabled Sovtek tubes. I am not a big fan of Groove tubes or Sovtek tubes in general. However Sovteks are made in the old Reflektor plant that is now New Sensor. The quality of New Sensor tubes has improved greatly over the last decade. While Groovetubes might not be the best choice in most amps for the best sound or most character,they are very dependable. I've never used gold pin tubes but they are supposed to be the top of the line.
    Before you guys go writing off Russian tubes realize that they are making some of the best tubes on the current market. New Sensor is making some of the top brands like Svetlana,Tung Sol,Electro Harmonix,Genelex/Gold Lion,and Mullard. New Sensor is an American owned company that took over the Reflektor plant in Saratov Russia.
    My current choice in tubes are Tung Sol 12ax7s in the preamp and Electro Harmonix EL84s in the power amp. They are the best all around tubes I have found for sound vs price ratio. Durability factors in too since my 30w combo punishes tubes pretty good through heat and vibration. I don't feel I need to spring for gold pin tubes. I'm getting the sound I want and they seem to last me. These choices suit my situation for what amp I have(Crate USA V-series 3112),my tone tastes,and my budget.
    As you know,Kiteman,different amps sometimes prefer different tube configurations. Your Bogner liked the stock tubes better than the others you tried (according to your post a few days ago). What were they? Groove Tubes? If so the gold pin,Groove tubes might be the ticket for you. From my understanding the gold pin tubes are just upgraded versions of the regular design. They are supposed to offer more durability. The gold pins are supposed to resist oxidation better.
    I have a friend who has a nice little vintage amp collection. Fenders and Marshalls. He likes to use NOS tubes in those. He keeps s pretty good stock of his favorite NOS tubes on hand. When it comes to his modern Marshall he uses the new Tung Sols in the preamp and Gold Lions in the power section. He swears my them and will not use anything else. I can attest to his good tone with these tubes in his Marshall. He gigs often and pushes his amp. He replaces tubes about once a year in that amp which he plays for about 80% of his gigs.
    If it were me I would look at the Gold Lion tubes if I wanted to upgrade to gold pin power tubes. Especially since the price of the gold pin Groovetubes is in the same ballpark as the Gold Lions. But that is me with my EL84 amp. I'm not sure if your Bogner is an EL84 or 6L6 power tube. You really can't know what your Bogner prefers without some testing.
    I would have trouble paying that price for the gold pin groove tubes but that is my bias that comes from my experience with my amps. Having never used gold pin tubes I am a little skeptical about the actual benifit vs. price ratio.
    LeadedEL84

Post Thanks / Like

My amp tech says to try to avoid them, as he has had problems with then.
    Gibson ES 345 TDC
    Gibson ES 225
    Gibson ES 175
    Gibson ES 295
    Gibson ES 350
    Gibson SG
    Fender P Bass 70s
    Fender American Strat Delux
    Fender American Tele
    Alverez Yairi Ani DeFranco
    Fender Twin 65
    Fender Twin 72
    Fender Bassman 70
    Roland JC 120
    Marshall JVM 410 H
    Vintage 30 Stack

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I took a chance, I ordered them. Had some good reviews of them. CHP stands for Chinese High Performance so I knew they're relabeled and I chose the medium grades. There's a similar set that they said to avoid I don't remember which.

I like Sovteks, I never had any problems with them.
    _____

_____

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty sure they are OEM in Fender amps from Mehico, so they will probably be of average quality. Although I own several Fender amps and so far I have replaced 1 tube in 5 years. I think it was bad from the start, and it was replaced on warranty with a Ruby 12AX7.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth, Kite...and knowing you enjoy swapping tubes...don't overlook the JJ 6L6GC and the SED's Winged "C" 6L6GC. Both of these sounded great in my combo.

The JJs were more durable and seemed to really withstand the beating of such a small enclosure. They never rattled.

I preferred the sonic character of the =C= a little more, but they could rattle.

Both sounded better with a warmer bias (around 70% plate dissipation), as most tubes do, IMHO.

Tubes rule!

Enjoy

Post Thanks / Like

By the way the original set were EH (V1), EH (V2), Ruby HG (V3), Chinese (V4) and Chinese (V5). Now I have Tung-Sol, Tung-Sol, EH, EH and EH. Sounded better this way in both channels.

Also the tubes I ordered are gold series, not gold pins. They'll be here tomorrow.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Radioboy950
    For what it's worth, Kite...and knowing you enjoy swapping tubes...don't overlook the JJ 6L6GC and the SED's Winged "C" 6L6GC. Both of these sounded great in my combo.

The JJs were more durable and seemed to really withstand the beating of such a small enclosure. They never rattled.

I preferred the sonic character of the =C= a little more, but they could rattle.

Both sounded better with a warmer bias (around 70% plate dissipation), as most tubes do, IMHO.

Tubes rule!

Enjoy
    And for those who've used the Svetlana 6L6GC's in the past and liked them, know that the SED Winged "C" tubes were formerly marketed as Svetlana until Mike Mathews took over the Reflektor Saratov plant and acquired the rights to the name "Svetlana". He now markets Reflektor/Saratov Svetlanas...which aren't bad tubes at all. But, the SED Winged "C"'s are still better 6L6GC's IMHO.

Some of the Shuguang tubes are pretty good as well. The 9th generation 12AX7's are good in high gain amps like Mesa's. I have several of them and have found that they're not as good in more vintage sounding amps. Their KT66's are good too, but not as good as the Gold Lions.

All in all, the New Sensor tubes coming out of the Reflektor plant in Saratov are very good. Certainly quite a leap from the old Sovtek and the like.

I'm still waiting for someone to come out with a truly good EL84, though. Something that harkens back to the tone of the Tungsrams, Telefunkens, RCA's, or Mullard "B" (Blackburns). Fortunately, I have a good stash of the Polam/Telam's, Tesla Rosnovs (NOT JJ's), and even a couple of quads of the Russian mil. 7189's (6P14P-EB(EV)) that were made in the Reflektor plant.

I expect that Mike Mathews will eventually come up with something.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems quite a few names come from that plant and both Tung-Sol and Mullard new productions turned out to be pretty good stuff. The Mullards sounded good in my Blackheart and the Tung-Sols improved V1 and V2 in my Alchemist.

Yea I like swapping tubes and play for a while then I'll know what stays. The Blackheart did had the Tung-Sols along with Sovtek MGs which was the best set for it. Now the Tung-Sols are in the Bogner.

I'll check out the other tubes and who knows, next month I'll get a set.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

Well, got the tubes and they sound sweet. More open and spacious, makes me think of Fender Deluxe Reverb. That's the clean channel and on the dirt channel it sounds like a chainsaw rather than being fuzzy. I did the a/b with the (stock) Rubys and they sound dark compared to the GTs. I think it was a good buy and a fellow on another forum says it could be TAD 6L6 GC blackplates relabeled by GT.

I didn't bias the tubes and I think they're biased cold anyway. Gotta find a tech to bias them for me.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I biased them. It was pretty easy, pulled the chassis and located the output board and there it is, two trimpots and a 3 pin test plug. They were marked on the board so I didn't have to guess. They're set at 34.5 and now it sounds like it has more body.

Now I have to wait for my sis to leave sometimes so I can put the amp to test.

EDIT: by the way it was at 21, cold as hell. Others said theirs was 26.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman
    They're set at 34.5 and now it sounds like it has more body.
    Yeah...that's the ticket. They sound much better, don't they?
    Cold bias may extend tube life, but it really robs you of better tone.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, they did sound better. Still waiting for a chance to open it up.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have sovtek Groove Tubes in my Peavey C-30, and they seem to be fine. I have thought about getting one of the C-30 tube upgrade kits from Eurotubes, but have not made it a priority as the amph works fine now.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW on Jet City's website, they sell a version of the JCA20H head that they call the Comet that (besides a new baffle) has Sovtek 12AX7s and matching JJ EL84s. The site says that they chose Sovteks for "high-gain, low-noise, and long life."

I wouldn't mind taming the noise a bit on my amp at volume but a) it's not a huge deal and b) between my fluorescent light, my CRT, and the fridge/freezer in the next room, my office is a noise factory. Someday I'll get JJs from Eurotubes, but we will see . . .
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    FWIW on Jet City's website, they sell a version of the JCA20H head that they call the Comet that (besides a new baffle) has Sovtek 12AX7s and matching JJ EL84s. The site says that they chose Sovteks for "high-gain, low-noise, and long life."
    That should be taken with a grain of salt. The EL84 by design is a high gain tube and power tubes in general tend not to be microphonic like preamp tubes. If they are using the Sovtek EL84M, that is the Russian mil-spec version of their EL84.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    That should be taken with a grain of salt. The EL84 by design is a high gain tube and power tubes in general tend not to be microphonic like preamp tubes. If they are using the Sovtek EL84M, that is the Russian mil-spec version of their EL84.
    I have two Sovtek EL84Ms which was in my Blackheart when I had Tung-Sols in it too. My idea was to make the amp as transparent as it can be for the pedals and that seemed to work.
    _____

_____

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast