Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
If you want to learn blues guitar
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you want to learn blues guitar

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default If you want to learn blues guitar

Here is a new blues guitar lesson for you guys. Let me know what you think.

I call it "Slow Blues With Groove". You can get Guitar Pro notation and tabs here -
    http://www.box.net/shared/j48j95mgtt

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Excellent lesson for a foundation to build off of.
    The Hag sounds great!
    Last edited by Tig; August 10th, 2010 at 02:05 PM.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good stuff!

When I saw the title I thought it'd be...if you wanna know how to play the blues...get yourself a woman...;-)
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    When I saw the title I thought it'd be...if you wanna know how to play the blues...get yourself a woman...;-)
    Shooting a man in Memphis is a good idea, too....

Another very useful lesson, RR!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to get home and try this! Thanks!
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff as always.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the "great stuff as always" comment, Robert.
    Thanks for your practical lessons.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, glad you like. You can download the HD video from my box too - download, share it and spread the word!
    Last edited by Robert; August 10th, 2010 at 09:13 PM.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Shooting a man in Memphis is a good idea, too....

Another very useful lesson, RR!
    Hehe, yeah...back in the day when I briefly played much blues, I said I'd like my tombstone to say 'He didn't wake up this morning' :-) but then I changed it to 'He was a simple man who died of complications'.

Then I decided to hell with and I've requested to be cremated and they can just toss the ashes in the nearest bin. Make a Wikipedia page in memoriam or something if like.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet lesson Robert, I have some more goodies to learn now. Nicely done and nice gear!
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is great Robert! I like how you focused on the counting on this one. I have been trying to work on that myself for increased precision and consistency. This one will be good to practice to.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, I gotta say, you're deliberate and really break it down, but somehow avoid turning it into a yawner. Basic, with just enough fluff to make it interesting and fun.

Excellent instruction. keep it up!

What I'm realizing is that I need right hand work. Flatpick technique is important as well. Sometimes the quick up/down(as opposed to down/down) on the same string or two adjacent strings is key to a riff.

This is a skill bluegrass and mando players develop early. I'm realizing I did not.

What do you suggest? Practicing scales by alternating?
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Tio, yes practice alternate picking to a metronome or drum track, or even a tune. You can also to tremolo picking this way, where you just stay on one note a la Dick Dale. Make sure you are accurate with timing - playing 4ths, 8ths, 16ths, triplets, etc. All in good time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tio, I am no instructor, but as a student, I can say that learning basic versions of "Red Haired Boy" and "Billy in the Low Ground" (see here: http://www.bluegrassguitar.com/top10.php ) and playing along with a metronome and foot tapping has helped. They are to be played with strictly alternate picking, down on down beats, up on up beats. It helps, but I still need work though. That is more fun to me than alternate scales, though I suppose that would be good for me to do too so I learn my scales better.

To relate that suggestion to Robert's lesson, I like sometimes to add some vibrato or a little bend like Robert is doing above to my bluegrass fiddle tunes to blues 'em up a bit. Probably not approved by blue grass purists . . .
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

makin' the world a better sounding place, one video at a time

Post Thanks / Like

thank you Robert, awesome as always....!
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As good as this sounds playing this on an electric, I'm enjoying it even more on my acoustic. It has that ol' roots-blues feel to it, which shines well acoustically, and the variations are almost limitless.

Thanks a thousand, Robert!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you like. Rhythm is everything. Once you get this groove going, it's unstoppable!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    As good as this sounds playing this on an electric, I'm enjoying it even more on my acoustic. It has that ol' roots-blues feel to it, which shines well acoustically, and the variations are almost limitless.

Thanks a thousand, Robert!
    +1 on that! It's been abt a year now since I've been in my acoustic phase, and that is pure acoustic blues heaven! Embellish it w some slide and turn-arounds, oh man! There's no end to the fun to be had!

Another great one, Roberto!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast