Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
1953 Martin 00028

Thread: 1953 Martin 00028

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1953 Martin 00028

So about a year ago I picked up this guitar , the original owner for some insane reason had "protected" it by painting the back and sides with a paintbrush and clear varnish..., the bridge was lifting and the bridge plate was splintering. I take it to one of my luthiers ( I have several) and tell Dave to fix it. I finally get it back this week and man o man does Dave do phenomenal work . He honestly had to disassemble the guitar, rework, re glue ,reset and refinish everything but the fretboard and front of the headstock. Superb is all I and my fellow vintage friends can say.Brazilian slab sawn rosewood .
    May all your days be memorable, all your friends stay true and all your riffs be killer....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Now that is one very fine guitar.
    The rosewood is art all by itself.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

That's awfully pretty

I was at a barbecue a few weeks ago and my friend asked his buddy to tell me his 'Martin story'. I wish he hadn't ~ LOL
    Turns out the guy stops at a garage sale and sees an old guitar. He picks it up thinking he always wanted to try and learn how to play. Pays $50. and off he goes. 'Brings it to his local music shop for a restring and set up and the guy tells him "Why not bring it up to Martin? They're right here in Pa." So he does. They charged him and arm and a leg. He's waiting for what feels like a long time and sticks his head in the door. There's an employee playing it and sounding good. He offered to buy it and eventually worked his way up to a $500 offer, but the new owner wanted to try and learn to play so he kept it. That is, he kept it until another guy saw it a few weeks later and paid him $17,000. for it !!! He said if it didn't have the fancy inlays but was the 'plain' model it would have been worth around $30,000. ! I can't fathom prices like that. But what a stroke of luck : )

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice looking guitar!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Good god.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful.
    Guitars: Charvel/Jackson CSM-1G, DeArmond M-75, DeArmond Starfire Special, DeArmond S-73, Epiphone Collegiate UK, Squier 51, Michael Kelly Patriot Custom, Harmony Sovereign, Taylor 310, Takamine 12 string, SX thinline, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez JTK30,
    Amps: Earth Sound Research G-2000 Super Guitar head into Avatar G212H cab, Fender Sidekick 20 Chorus, Peavey Classic 20, Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Express 112, Fender Super Champ XD, Vibro Champ XD
    Effects: Digitech EX-7, Digitech RP-250

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! Just WOW!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Did your guitar guy tell you what he used to get the old finish off?
    That guitar looks absolutely brand new now

Post Thanks / Like

I never bother my luthier when he has one of my guitars, I trust him completely. Thanks for all the love here for sure, I had a few friends play her this weekend to confirm what I hear . There words were, splendid, extremely well rounded and complex in tone, silk chocolate , and other words of praise, then I told them what is was , and they were really floored.
    May all your days be memorable, all your friends stay true and all your riffs be killer....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otaypanky
    That's awfully pretty

I was at a barbecue a few weeks ago and my friend asked his buddy to tell me his 'Martin story'. I wish he hadn't ~ LOL
    Turns out the guy stops at a garage sale and sees an old guitar. He picks it up thinking he always wanted to try and learn how to play. Pays $50. and off he goes. 'Brings it to his local music shop for a restring and set up and the guy tells him "Why not bring it up to Martin? They're right here in Pa." So he does. They charged him and arm and a leg. He's waiting for what feels like a long time and sticks his head in the door. There's an employee playing it and sounding good. He offered to buy it and eventually worked his way up to a $500 offer, but the new owner wanted to try and learn to play so he kept it. That is, he kept it until another guy saw it a few weeks later and paid him $17,000. for it !!! He said if it didn't have the fancy inlays but was the 'plain' model it would have been worth around $30,000. ! I can't fathom prices like that. But what a stroke of luck : )
    First of all, great looking Martin, Greg!

Bob, that is an amazing story. It does seem rather underhanded that a Martin employee would offer the guy $500 for a $17, 000 guitar. I suppose it's possible that he didn't know what it was, but that seems unlikely, considering he works for the company. I can't imagine having that kind of luck...that lucky so-and-so!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks , I am fortunate to do what I do , buying, reselling , keeping great gear in rotation in my own stable. As a player first I take chances on less than mint guitars an have a wonderful luthier correctly repair them the way they should have left the factory in most cases and as better guitars than as if they were new. I have several reasonably priced Martins, Gibson guitars in the works presently.