Thread: Trem block revisited

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Trem block revisited

I was thinking about replacing my 'whatever' metal trem block (but still a very large one and with string ends dropping in all the way to the bridge plate) in one of my so called strats, and started experimenting what helps soundwise.

I started by again jamming the trem down firmly with a block of wood - turned out I didn't like the results at all. First of all, with the bridge really jammed down so it couldn't move, the guitar stayed in tune far worse than when the bridge was down tight with five springs screwed tight, but could still move even if ever so slightly upwards. It would appear to me that this allows for the guitar to, well, 'auto-adjust' itself to temperature changes, whereas when it's solidly jammed down, temp changes caused clear problems with tuning.

I didn't however note any change in sound.

Then I almost ordered the steel block, but before I did that I dug out my strat's ugly sibling which is exactly the same in all but it has no pickguard and a maple fretboard/one piece neck - BUT it sounds, due to some reason I haven't scientifically yet pinpointed - clearly somewhat more alive and 'spanky' and screaming than its sibling. Better to my ears, that is.

To my surprise I realized that this better-sounding strat actually had two major differences I hadn't paid attention to befofe:

- It has only 3 springs and the bridge isn't after all actually 100% flush with the body but can still (ever so slightly) be pressed lower (pull up the tune).
    - It has a TINY trem block of same nondescript alloy - but there is hardly any metal there, just a very thin block barely enough to house the strings - and the strings also only sink into the block a few millimeters, not all the way in.

So now, what I'm thinking - rather than getting a steel block I might prefer and want one of those slim blocks instead...so I'll be posting to the local buy/sell group to try and score one of those cheapo Squier etc. bridges to put in my other strat to replace the sturdier USA-made(? style anyway) trem system. Maybe someone has done the opposite 'upgrade' and that'd work well for me!
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm. Could it possibly be that maple fretboard causing that extra and sparkle ?
    Hmmm

OK comence discussion
    LeadedEL84

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really really doubt the fretboard would have much any impact on the sound here. I have another one with maple board and it's nothing similar...fixed bridge.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems when the springs are adjusted all floaty like in mine they act similar to sympathetic strings......... that is, they tend to carry the strings vibrations, or extend them, giving an open, airy sound. The old strat copy I stripped all the finish (or plastic coating I should say) off of is the best example. It has three springs and is just floating enough to let them bounce back there and do their thing.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm...

Those thin little zinc blocks are the reason why I have installed so many steel trem blocks. I suspect that other factors are responsible for the great tone of the particular guitar you mentioned dee.

I have one Strat clone that's currently disassembled. Everything was wrong with this guitar from it's inception. Kind of like Dr, Frankenstein's first creation that no one ever heard of. BUT....When assembled, this guitar has the sweetest, most resonant tone. And that's despite the fact that the scale length is off, the body is thin like an Affinity Strat, and the high E string always wants to fall off the fretboard with a vintage std. 2-3/16" bridge.

It sounded good with a full size zinc block, but better with a steel block (more springy-ness, airy-ness, and bell tones). It's on my "to do" list to straighten out the deficiencies, but it's pretty far down the list right now. It'll probably turn out to be one of those beaters that you just can't justify selling. Kinda like the ugly, loyal mutt that's so smart he shames the pedigrees...

Go figure....
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

I've toyed with upgrading the block on my Jackson's Floyd copy, but I really haven't had the desire. I listened to some clips that someone posted with a standard Floyd block, a brass one, and a titanium one. He claimed that the difference was massive. If it was, it didn't come across in the clips he posted. Lots of people swear by them, though.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Whatever it is, I want to get to the bottom of this difference between the two guitars. Non-amplified it's nigh impossible to notice any difference between them, but amplified the other is clearly more 'twangy'. More lively, and the other is more 'stable'. It's not that their _tone_ is any different, same pickups, basically identical woods and such, but the other just is more lively and the other slightly more dead-sounding, i.e. there's not so much feel of transient noises and such.

It has to be the bridge setup...first thing to try is to relax that other strat's tightly down-forced bridge and see if that makes any difference. I suspect it will change the sound some. If not enough, I'll try to get one small zinc block for it, and then a steel block as well, see what happens.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    Very interesting...however, it has none...just a volume pot, I bypassed all else as unnecessary, and THAT made a big difference.
    Dee