Thread: Restringing and Neck Tension

Post Thanks / Like

Default Restringing and Neck Tension

I read somewhere that we should never take all the strings off the guitar because that would take all the neck tension.
    well, is this true or it will hurt the guitar if i take off all the strings and restring it right after?
    My favorite quotes:
    Music is like sex, its better when its free...
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally think it's bologna, but I've always done it one string at a time just because that's the way I do it. The only time I take them all off is if I'm going to clean the fretboard. Since my guitar has a sealed maple fretboard, cleaning isn't as big of a deal and conditioning is unnecessary, unlike with a rosewood fretboard for example.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It won't hurt the guitar any, but if you take all the strings off, it will take a few more minutes tuning it after you put on new ones, as the neck will relax a little without tension, and will bend back a tiny bit slower, causing the need for some more tuning - even on hardtails.

But it's nothing major. Still, I always change strings one at the time, stretch them properly at the same time & tune right away, because that makes for a very quick string change and it'll stay in tune straight away. I always also make sure I use the exact same string gauges every time.

One string at a time is pretty much a must do with Floyd-equipped guitars, though, again so that tuning is much easier. The only time I take 'em all off is once a year when I clean the fretboard properly and check if it needs some fret filing/polish, and even then I usually leave high and low E strings in place, but pulled over the neck sides, because on some guitars the bridge falls off unless it has strings over it.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Think about it - if the neck and trussrod are rigid enough to withstand the string tension, wouldn't it follow that the neck can easily withstand no tension

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the answers it really helped me
    My favorite quotes:
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add to this, the people I've talk to who would actually know (e.g. the luthier/tech I go to) say that it's basically an urban legend. I think Dee hit it right on the head with his post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How does one go about properly stretching strings? I always figured the amount of tension I can get by "pulling" on the string is insignificant compared to the tension of a tuned string.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    How does one go about properly stretching strings?
    Tune it to pitch and then pull up on it (gently!) at a couple places. I usually do it once over the pickups and once over the fretboard. It is technically possible to overstretch them, so you don't need a ton of force.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    How does one go about properly stretching strings? I always figured the amount of tension I can get by "pulling" on the string is insignificant compared to the tension of a tuned string.
    Just see for yourself - if you tune brand-new strings to normal pitch, then pull them up about an inch away from the guitar, you'll see that they will, in fact, de-tune from stretching. Not insignificant at all. Waiting for them to stretch fully during normal playing is just an annoying exercise of constant retuning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

+1 on both last posts; I give 'em a good yank up, maybe an inch, retune, repeat...once I get all strings tuned I play some hard-handed chords and the blues bends on all strings; 1,5step pull-ups on top three and normal hard bends downward on lower strings, give it afinal check. after that I check tuning whenever I start playing, but rarely need to fix anything except when there's been temperature changes or such...they keep tune real well.

I hardly ever break strings when playing but sometime I break high e when I stretch it in tuning ;-)
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    +1 on both last posts; I give 'em a good yank up, maybe an inch, retune, repeat...once I get all strings tuned I play some hard-handed chords and the blues bends on all strings; 1,5step pull-ups on top three and normal hard bends downward on lower strings, give it afinal check. after that I check tuning whenever I start playing, but rarely need to fix anything except when there's been temperature changes or such...they keep tune real well.

I hardly ever break strings when playing but sometime I break high e when I stretch it in tuning ;-)

i remember the first time i broke a string, i was playing for about 2 months, and i just saw how the guitar was stringed, went to the music store bought one string, and restringed my guitar, but i didn't know that i need to stretch, so i spend like 2 weeks or so complaining about the damn string being always out of tune, then i did some research and i did find out that i needed to stretch it, i was like --'
    My favorite quotes:

Post Thanks / Like

I recently put a Warmoth neck on my tele. Warmoth said to tighten the rod so you have a flat fret board. After stringing it up there is enough tension to put a concave bow in the neck which is what you want. If I unstring it completely it would just go back to a flat position. No harm.
    Bill