Thread: Truss rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Truss rods

I happen to be friends with one of James Trussart's luthiers, and he is making me a neck for the Strat body I built. I know, I know, if I made the body, why not make the neck as well? Well, right now, I don't have the tools necessary to get a nice result, and the opportunity arose to have him make one for me. As the guitars he makes sell for thousands of dollars, I figure it's a much better solution than a Warmoth neck until I muster the gumption to make one myself.

I have decided on a one piece maple neck, 22 frets. I have always preferred headstock adjustment, and had asked for a "bullet" style truss rod. That's what I believe I have on my MIJ Strat, but the "bullet" allen nut is recessed inside the headstock. Then I was looking into truss rods, and I noticed what usually seems to be called the "bullet" style has a long allen nut that actually looks like a hollowpoint bullet protruding from the headstock just behind the string nut (I only use the term "string nut" for clarity). My first reaction is that it kinda sticks out and is unpleasant looking, but then I thought perhaps it is more easily accessible. Also, it looks kinda heavy, and I believe adding weight to the headstock should improve sustain.

But, as I have never owned a Strat with this style truss, I would like to know what you guys think. Any preferences, experiences good or bad, opinions welcome. Since he is custom making it for me, I have the opportunity to ask for just about any set up I want.
    Guit Boxes: 87 MIJ Strat, Ibanez MIJ RG540, Korean Fender Dreadnaught, The Loar LH-500 (1934 L-5 Reproduction)

Amp: Marshall TSL100 amp head with JCM900 1960 Lead 4 X 12 angled cab

Effects: Crybaby, TS10 Tube Screamer, Badder Bad Monkey, Boss Metal Zone

Post Thanks / Like

I could never understand why Fender has truss rod adjustment at the base of the neck on so many models. I suppose there is a reason for it but it sure is a pain in the neck. The headstock seems to be the logical placement for it. I think you could just as well have a recessed allen an opposed to the exposed bullet. If he was building it for me I would probably ask him to construct it as if he was making it for himself, if placing it at the headstock was in any way a compromise I'd put up with having to remove the neck

Post Thanks / Like

My Jackson has one of those and they're much easier to work with because you can just slip the box end of a small wrench over it--no worries about stripping or not getting enough torque. Jackson has theirs recessed slightly in the headstock with a truss rod cover over it.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn