Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Tony Iommi's fret fingers bared
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Iommi's fret fingers bared

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tony Iommi's fret fingers bared

In the current issue of Guitar Player, the 10 Things You Need To Know To Play Like... section, there's a full page photo of Tony playing without the caps on his fingertips, and they are at the forefront of the shot so you get a clear pic of the trauma he suffered. Not as bad as I've always thot, but still...

Maybe somebody has a copy and can scan it for the forum...?

40+ years later and still the Riff King!

Post Thanks / Like

Yea,I was checking that out and it reminded me of a guy I ran into one time when I was buying Magnatone Amps,this guy got his index finger and middle finger caught in a motorcycle sprocket and chain and they got cut off at about the first joint,he had nice big flat caluse on both fingers and it actually seemed to help him.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Does it look like this?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

It was about the same as your index,but the middle was longer and the ring and the pinky were normal(on his fret hand)Your's got caught in a snow blower I think.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    Your's got caught in a snow blower I think.Sumi
    You are correct, Sir.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rev Rawk, not to dwell on it, but when I see your injury, I cringe and remember the times I used to snowblow our long driveway with an old Ariens garden tractor with a 42 inch blower attachment on the front. Usually quite effective, but it would get jammed up once in a while, or break a sheer pin. I did not always turn the whole machine off when I went out to clear it, (stoopid) and was fortunate not to receive injury. Sorry about yours.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Sorry about yours.
    Not a problem. It was my own carelessness that caused it. Mercifully, my hand works just fine. No fingerstyle for me, but that's not my speed anyway. It also cured 30% of my nail-biting problem *rimshot*. I cut the new tip of my index finger somewhat easily. There's not much sensation there, so I don't notice right away. Happened yesterday when I was taking out the garbage and didn't notice until I saw blood smeared all over the garbage bag. Looked like I was trying to dispose of a drifter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I meant to do this yesterday, but a thunder storm was overhead so I shut my PC down.
    Here's a so-so scan, since the magazine print quality isn't much to work with.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    I meant to do this yesterday, but...
    Thanx!
    The way Tony lost his flesh probably left nothing to work with, whereas when I cut off the 1/4" tip of my right index it was still hanging by the last layer of fingerprint and the surgeon reattached the end, no problems. The shortlived pain and way worse, the sense of loss was a mind ****, but nothing compared to his.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by msteeln
    The way Tony lost his flesh probably left nothing to work with, whereas when I cut off the 1/4" tip of my right index it was still hanging by the last layer of fingerprint and the surgeon reattached the end, no problems. The shortlived pain and way worse, the sense of loss was a mind ****, but nothing compared to his.
    Not to be too graphic, but since mine were "smashed" off, no reattachment was possible. As a matter of fact, some minor amputation (more like "cleaning up") was necessary. The shots in my hand for the surgery were far more painful than the actual injury (and the removal of the stitches was several orders of magnitude more painful than that). I hear you about the sense of loss. I'll never forget how I felt when I finally took off all the layers of dressing and saw my fingers as they would forever remain. Mentally I knew what it would look like, but it was like an uppercut to the jaw when I actually saw them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been shoveling snow here at my shop for 10 yrs. and a couple yrs ago was thinking I'm getting old now the shoveling gets me tired,then I heard Marnold's adventure and thought well maybe not and for sure not now,shoveling is good exercise anyway,keeps ya in shape.Sumi

Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

There's a lot you can do without full use of your fingers. Remember this guy?

"Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zip
    There's a lot you can do without full use of your fingers. Remember this guy?

Yeah, he did it all with only two fingers. Amazing.

And for those who have lost digits, or partial digits, and still play: I find that inspiring, and I admire your fortitude. There are probably many who would just give up. Good on ya for forging onward!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Django is awesome.

Holy cow Rev. that is YOUR hand??!

I just love Tony's SG.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    Holy cow Rev. that is YOUR hand??!.
    Yep. That picture was taken within a few months after the fact. We didn't have a digital camera at the time, so I just stuck my hand in my scanner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Yep. That picture was taken within a few months after the fact. We didn't have a digital camera at the time, so I just stuck my hand in my scanner

Rev you gotta stop sticking your hands in stuff,even if it's only a scanner!LOL Sumi

Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Try this to get an insight of how Django managed note the use of his thumb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iJ7b...eature=related
    To Old To Die Young
    Epi Les Paul
    Vox Valvetronix AD 100 vt

Post Thanks / Like

Coulda been worse. He could have been like Django Reinhardt and had 2 fingers permanently crippled, and only be able to use the index and middle fingers for soloing, and have to figure out alternate fingerings for many of the chords. Didn't stop Django of course

Post Thanks / Like

It is odd that i stumbled on this thread today, my left hand is useless today after a long gig on a sore carpel tunnel / rsi ordeal. Having not physically lost anything certainly puts it in a different perspective! Has anyone else had RSI from guitar? I work as a programmer too so that adds to it. I really don't want surgery and I'd prefer some alternate method of correction/ releif. typing with one hand :-/ Again, a strange day to hit this thread. Radical mindshift...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast