Thread: Sustain pedal pot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sustain pedal pot

We have a nice Yamaha keyboard at the church that we use regularly with our praise band. Recently, the sustain pedal developed a problem - it would hold the sustain indefinitely. You can let go of the pedal and the sustain is still engaged. At first, we could unplug the pedal and plug it back in and it would behave for a little while. It finally got to where it was sustaining without even pressing the pedal.

Anyway, I took it apart to see if it's something that can be fixed and basically, it's a spring loaded pedal that turns a pot. I'm almost positive the pot is culprit, but I cannot find a replacement pot online.

Maybe some you guys can help me. It appears to be a "no-name" pot with a part number "820G 10KB" on the side. The shaft is a plastic "half-shaft".

If anybody knows where I can get a replacement, I'd definitely appreciate any help you can give.
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldron
    We have a nice Yamaha keyboard at the church that we use regularly with our praise band. Recently, the sustain pedal developed a problem - it would hold the sustain indefinitely. You can let go of the pedal and the sustain is still engaged. At first, we could unplug the pedal and plug it back in and it would behave for a little while. It finally got to where it was sustaining without even pressing the pedal.

Anyway, I took it apart to see if it's something that can be fixed and basically, it's a spring loaded pedal that turns a pot. I'm almost positive the pot is culprit, but I cannot find a replacement pot online.

Maybe some you guys can help me. It appears to be a "no-name" pot with a part number "820G 10KB" on the side. The shaft is a plastic "half-shaft".

If anybody knows where I can get a replacement, I'd definitely appreciate any help you can give.
    The 10KB means 10,000 ohms, linear taper. I'm not sure what you mean by half-shaft. Also, what do the lugs look like? If you could post a pic, that would be a big help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    The 10KB means 10,000 ohms, linear taper. I'm not sure what you mean by half-shaft. Also, what do the lugs look like? If you could post a pic, that would be a big help.
    I'll try to get a pic later. It has 3 lugs just like a guitar pot. The shaft is "half-round" for lack of a better description. It's maybe an inch long and has half a shaft.

Thanks for the help Tung!
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldron
    I'll try to get a pic later. It has 3 lugs just like a guitar pot. The shaft is "half-round" for lack of a better description. It's maybe an inch long and has half a shaft.

Thanks for the help Tung!
    Just regular solder lugs like on a pot in a guitar?

A couple more things: what is the approximate diamter of the treaded shaft? Usually around 3/8" or 5/16". What is the diameter of the body of the pot? Most are 16mm (about the size of a dime) or 24mm (about the size of a quarter).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    Just regular solder lugs like on a pot in a guitar?

A couple more things: what is the approximate diamter of the treaded shaft? Usually around 3/8" or 5/16". What is the diameter of the body of the pot? Most are 16mm (about the size of a dime) or 24mm (about the size of a quarter).
    The lugs are soldered. I will get measurements asap.
    Ronnie