Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What kind of things have you have learned from the Fret?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of things have you have learned from the Fret?

Post Thanks / Like

Question What kind of things have you have learned from the Fret?

While doing research for my latest fit of gas. I came across a post that really struck me. Somebody said something along the lines of when you feel that you need a new guitar to take your playing further. You have probaly hit a platau. And probably just need to play more. That struck a chord with me. It didn't stop me from getting a new guitar. But it sure made me revaluate my motives and be honest with myself about my own abilities. And is something I been guilty of in the past. So I was wondering what kind of ephanies others have had.
    It's very dependent on your state of mind. And your emotional state as well. And a lot of it comes pouring out, you don't really have that much control with it.

Eric Clapton

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

• All kinds of great lessons from Robert.
    • About how good Godin acoustic guitars are (Art & Lutherie, Seagull).
    • Same with the CV Squiers.
    • Huge amounts of amp and guitar facts and advice, all worthwhile.
    • About BYOC effects (thx, DVM!).
    • A bunch of links to other good sites.
    • Introduced to artists like Joe Bonamassa, Warren Haynes, etc.
    • How a quality handmade strap is such a pleasure to own (Go, Brookwood Leather!)
    • ...And about 1000 other things that would take too long to type or recall right now.

Also, I've learned just how cool and kind my fellow guitarists can be.
    Great topic, BTW!
    Last edited by Tig; August 17th, 2010 at 02:52 PM.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    • All kinds of great lessons from Robert.
    I will have to concur with lessons from Robert. He has been invaulable.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm blushing guys... thank you, thank you...

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! I just learned a lot from your responeses. Looks like I need to hang around some more and dig deeper.
    It's very dependent on your state of mind. And your emotional state as well. And a lot of it comes pouring out, you don't really have that much control with it.

Eric Clapton

Post Thanks / Like

MAN where do I start...........

Robert bar chords lesson a great one. He has many more on here.
    All about tubes.
    Discovered new to me guitar vendors too numerous to name.
    New Artist to me.
    People who are far further along in their playing willingness to answer my mundane newbie questions.
    Pedal and pick-ups info galore.
    String advice.

and that's not even a 1/4 of what I have learned here.
    Last edited by MAXIFUNK; August 19th, 2010 at 12:58 PM.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

I've learned:

that it's not crazy to want as many guitars as Spudman.

that Brian's floor grows guitars.

the secret behind epic pancakes.

what an "amph" is.

that a person with a Squier '51 and a Vox amph can sound incredible.

alot about gear.

more than I can list here,

AND

that TheFret.net members are some of the coolest people on the planet.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I found justinguitar. That really clicked for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I've met some really great people here on The Fret, both in real life -- like my buddy Sean(FrankenFretter), his brother NWBasser, and our esteemed leader Robert -- and in "internet life" with all the wonderful posters here. It's nice to find a place online where people are civil to each other and we're all united by our passion for that 4-5-6-7-string temptress. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    • How a quality handmade strap is such a pleasure to own (Go, Brookwood Leather!)
    Me too! Bob (otaypanky) not only makes the finest guitar straps he is also one hell of a nice guy.

Post Thanks / Like

I learn new things almost daily here. Besides the things mentioned above;

- Estaban guitars are awesome.
    - Never have Robert change your tubes for you.
    - It's okay to like playing Metal better than other styles. It doesn't make you a terrible person.
    - Saying the word "amph" to people who don't frequent this forum brings on a look of slight bewilderment, but they generally won't try and correct you.
    - This is the ultimate "enabler" site for those who enjoy growing their guitar collections. Not that we need enabling...
    - Fretters are great people in person, as well as on this site. BCDon and Heywood Jablomie are great guys, and fun to hang out with.
    - You can ask folks here just about anything, and get all kinds of [good] advice.
    - It's okay to be a thrifty (I didn't say cheap). Good stuff can be had without spending a fortune.

Just a few things that came to mind this morning. There are many more as well. I love this place!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

I've learned that cheap (read inexpensive) guitars can be great fun, too. I'll add another bump for Robert's website, which has tons of great info and videos. I also learned that G.A.S. never sleeps!
    Guitars: Charvel/Jackson CSM-1G, DeArmond M-75, DeArmond Starfire Special, DeArmond S-73, Epiphone Collegiate UK, Squier 51, Michael Kelly Patriot Custom, Harmony Sovereign, Taylor 310, Takamine 12 string, SX thinline, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez JTK30,
    Amps: Earth Sound Research G-2000 Super Guitar head into Avatar G212H cab, Fender Sidekick 20 Chorus, Peavey Classic 20, Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Express 112, Fender Super Champ XD, Vibro Champ XD
    Effects: Digitech EX-7, Digitech RP-250

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. I suppose I've learned the following:

• Some music theory (rock, blues, modes, scales)
    • Brands that I like or that interest me (Tech 21, Carvin, Godin)
    • How to characterize tones (i.e. what Marshall sounds like, etc.)
    • A BUNCH about the technical side of audio and electricity (i.e. how amps work, balanced connections, HiZ/LoZ, etc.)
    • How the guts of an electric guitar work (pots, caps, pickups, etc.)
    • Different opinions on what makes a guitar great (e.g. wood matters/doesn't matter, etc.)

And while TFN hasn't necessarily been the exact resource for all of this info, in many instances it has given me enough of a foothold to know what to look up, which has then fleshed out my knowledge significantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    - Never have Robert change your tubes for you.
    Bam!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

What Lutefisk is. I then researched it. I don't think I wanna eat it, I don't think.........
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    What Lutefisk is. I then researched it. I don't think I wanna eat it, I don't think.........
    I live in the Wisconsin. Your right you don't!

Eric Clapton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockybluejazz
    I live in the Wisconsin. Your right you don't!
    +1. We used to have it every Christmas eve. Blech.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm, I was a complete and really absolute noob in October of 2006 when I joined. I had been playing really only for a few months, and was drawn in by researching Vox amphs. So really, quite a lot, or maybe even most of what I know.

So, I learned right away about Vox amphs.
    I also learned about tube amphs, and particularly Peavey Classic 30s.
    I bought a tube amph (C-30) but still would love a little vox amph to haul around.

I learned what "amph" meant and why the term is properly spelled thusly.

I learned reverends can rawk.

I learned there are actual lawyers that are also actual punk rockers. (Edit, also just how many nice, family type guys (and some women) there are out there who enjoy playing and learning to play.

I met a ton of good friends across the globe, and one good one just a ways across the state from me.

I learned about playing over backing tracks, and learned about internet jams where a number of people recorded and collaborated over the same track. We used to do that more, and need to get one started up again.

I learned that more accomplished players were often very willing to encourage and help you if you ask.

I have learned many, many tips, techniques, and practical ways to sound better,

I learned about gems among less expensive items, what to look for while shopping for things

a lot about effects and what they are, what some good cheap ones were, how to line them up, what better ones do, and on and on on that topic.

I found out about some basic things like get decent cables, how to change strings, etc.

I have learned a lot about a lot of music I would never have listened to but for this place.

I have learned a lot about internet communication, and how with using some basic respect and some other common sense, there can be a place where we share the above and much more, help each other out, make some friends, and really, have a darn good time.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; August 19th, 2010 at 07:27 AM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    +1. We used to have it every Christmas eve. Blech.
    I will stick to the lefsa with butter and brown sugar thank you very much.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast