Thread: Gloss finish on a maple neck

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gloss finish on a maple neck

Has anyone here ever finished a maple neck? I ordered a maple Strat neck, and I asked for a flame figured piece. I had originally planned on leaving it all straight up raw, unfinished. I've sanded the finish off one of my other necks and I love it. But now I find myself reconsidering for a couple of reasons. Firstly, a gloss finish provides excellent protection for a solid maple neck, especially in a humid place like SF. Also, I was thinking maybe a gloss finish will bring out the figuring in the wood better than raw or an oil or stain.

The luthier making my neck does not do finishes, but I will have plenty of clear acrylic lacquer left after finishing the body. If I want to spray it with gloss lacquer, should I mask the fretwire? My first thought was to just spray the whole thing over and then polish the lacquer off the fretwires. My luthier buddy seemed to agree that that would work fine, but again, finish is not his specialty. Any thoughts?
    Guit Boxes: 87 MIJ Strat, Ibanez MIJ RG540, Korean Fender Dreadnaught, The Loar LH-500 (1934 L-5 Reproduction)

Amp: Marshall TSL100 amp head with JCM900 1960 Lead 4 X 12 angled cab

Effects: Crybaby, TS10 Tube Screamer, Badder Bad Monkey, Boss Metal Zone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

- DO NOT leave it raw, as like you figured out, in time this will have adverse effects for sure. Might be good for even years but at some point it will warp or something. Bare minimum is treating it with beeswax, and properly!

- I have had bad experience with many acrylic lacquers, automotive etc. They dry fast but adding layers makes them surprisingly soft for a long time, so you need to have adequate rests between sprays. Have ended up with the lacquer wearing clear off within a year in spots; sort of rubbing into darkened areas and apparently never having dried well inside. Proper old-style brushed lacquer is much better, but it needs buffing for sure. Dries a week, but then you do get a real thick glossy surface at once.

I have just finished one neck with acrylic lacquer, and on this one I went for - instead of even trying gloss - matte. Did this by spraying very lightly, then using 000 steel wool to remove excess/level the surface, then repeated several times, until it seemed to me there was enough lacquer for certain to protect the wood well enough. So far it feels good and no problems.

And yes, just spray over the frets and clear them later on carefully, apply masking tape to neck surface so the frets only show and use steel wool.

Mind you, I'm no pro by any standard when it comes to finishing, I've just done similar jobs some half a dozen times. May not know what's the best way but at least I know some pitfalls to avoid :-)
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    - Bare minimum is treating it with beeswax, and properly!
    I still have a big block of beeswax... What is your preferred method Deeaa?

Btw, I use a high quality water based artist's acrylic lacquer that is usually meant for brushing. I just cut it with water to thin it, then airbrush it on. Of course this also means it takes longer to dry.
    Guit Boxes: 87 MIJ Strat, Ibanez MIJ RG540, Korean Fender Dreadnaught, The Loar LH-500 (1934 L-5 Reproduction)

Amp: Marshall TSL100 amp head with JCM900 1960 Lead 4 X 12 angled cab

Effects: Crybaby, TS10 Tube Screamer, Badder Bad Monkey, Boss Metal Zone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know nuthink about beeswax or any method of finishing. I will say that I love maple necks, but I love the feel of the satin finish such as is on my strat much better than the feel of the gloss ones I have played or tried out. YMMV.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Tru-oil.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Don't put a gloss finish on it. I say that mainly because I hate glossy necks. I'd tend to agree with kiteman about tru-oil, gun oil, tung oil, etc. It's easy to put on and will keep that nerkid feel. You'll have to redo it every so often, but it's not a biggie.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Hand rubbed tung oil. You'll like it, I betcha!
    Easy to apply, too.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of guitarists likes tung-oiled necks. Still feel the wood but sealed.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like them all. In the end, most of my guitars have had glossy necks and I like it just fine that way....I don't really have a real clear preference either way. I like a smooth satin roo, but glossy also gives a nice grip and firm feel on the palm. I suppose oiled and waxed I like the least, but wouldn't change that if I had one I gueas.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

if you decide to go with lacquer the proper technique can be found at reranch.com but the gist is 3x3 coats 3 passes makes a coat 3 days in a row then let it hang dry for 30 days. Then you wetsand and buff.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Tru-Oil or MinWax Wiping Poly.

Either one will give you a thin but decent protective finish.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    Tru-Oil or MinWax Wiping Poly.

Either one will give you a thin but decent protective finish.
    I agree with MiniWax Wiping Poly, I used it on the neck on my Carvin Bolt. Feels good.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

I did my Warmoth maple neck with MinWax wipe on Satin Poly. 3 coats with a super fine steel wool rub down between coats. It has a nice feel, not at all like a glossy finish. Warmoth requires a non oil finish for warranty coverage.

I masked off the rosewood finger board with masking tape. For a maple board the wipe on might pool up by the frets, so I'm thinking a spray on might work better for you.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have to see if that MinWax is available here, sounds like a really easy and nice way to finish necks...
    Dee