Thread: Lesson - using chord notes when improvising

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lesson - using chord notes when improvising

Here is a lesson for using chord tones and arpeggios over a I-IV-I progression (typically the first 4 bars of any blues tune). The lesson also explains that you can pretty much use any of the notes of both the A blues scale and the arpeggios from both the A7 and D7 while improvising over this progression (exception - C# over D7 is a no-no). Hope you find this lesson clear! I could go into more details and ideas on this, but the video turned out to be long enough already.

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Here is a lesson for using chord tones and arpeggios over a I-IV-I progression (typically the first 4 bars of any blues tune). The lesson also explains that you can pretty much use any of the notes of both the A blues scale and the arpeggios from both the A7 and D7 while improvising over this progression (exception - C# over D7 is a no-no). Hope you find this lesson clear! I could go into more details and ideas on this, but the video turned out to be long enough already.

[Removed youtube video]

Robert, What can I say? This is exactly what I was talking about in my earlier post. Great lesson. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think a relatively straight forward idea when explained well (as you sure did), but something that can really make a big difference!

btw, I should also probably mention that this is exactly what Jim (jpfeifer) talked about/advised when he replied to my post...so I've started down this path

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Super useful, practical lesson with just enough detail and music theory without getting bogged down. You keep getting better and better with your lessons and production, Robert.

I've stumbled upon some of this while playing, but never put it all together in such a useful package.

Oh, and where did your glasses wonder off to?
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankski, glad you likeski.

My glasses? Well, I found a pair of old contact lenses in a drawer. About 5 years old, a bit dried up. I bought some new lens solution and rinsed them up. They're like brand new again! I only use them for a couple of hours at the most, just to be safe(er)...

Arpeggios and triads - these are your friends. Know them, use them, abuse them... they make the world of improvising a better place!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.