Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do about my job? Help!

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow What to do about my job? Help!

I need some advice. It will require a long story to provide the necessary antecedent information, however.

The facility where I've worked for the past 6+ years will be closing shortly. Our last batch of material is slated to be finished around December of this year, and people will be let go shortly thereafter. There will probably be retention bonuses offered shortly, but the benefit will be marginal at best.

I was offered a job today with a different company, more of an engineering consulting job. It sounds like it would be good, but will require a fair bit of local travel. My first assignment would be to a place ~2 hours one way from my house. It's going to mean a lot of time away from home. It would be a chance to see many different companies and do a lot more engineering work first-hand, which is my preference, but there is an opportunity cost.

I have been with my existing company since the early days of our particular facility, and though they've told us we're no longer needed, I still feel a strong dedication to the place. I really want to see it through to the end, and I know I am one of the only people left who gives a hoot about it.

Within a year or two, my wife will probably be going back to school so that she can teach at the collegiate level. In her given field, it's debatable as to whether you need a master's degree or Ph.D. to teach, but since the trend seems to be toward the latter, that's what I'm guessing she'll land on. However, it's not confirmed yet. If she goes with a Ph.D., she might want to work more beforehand to get more experience, as it's usually straight to academia afterward, whereas someone with a master's degree is still employable in a corporate environment. If she chooses to work more, it would delay everything by a year.

When she goes to school, there's a virtual certainty we will be relocating to another area of the country. This would mean a new job for me. I'm OK gutting it out at this travel-intensive job for a year or less, but I'm not sure about doing it for two years. I also feel a really big pull to stay through the end at my current job, even though objectively speaking, there's almost no reason for me to stay (other than the travel thing). It's just idealism and my sense of morality making things difficult.

So my question: what do I do? Stick it out at the current job? Leave for the other job? Hope that we end up moving within a year? See if I can delay taking the new job until later, so that I can finish out this current era of employment? I've talked it over with my director at work, but to no avail -- I left without having much of a conclusion.

I'm so incredibly conflicted right now, because my conscience is telling me the exact opposite of what my objective brain is telling me, and it's killing me in the process. I want to do what's right, but I don't want to regret not making a smart career move.

Argh. Anybody?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

In December, you will be UNEMPLOYED with NO guarantee of being offered a job at that time or shortly thereafter. The job market sucks. Take the opportunity for change and make the break.

Your current company will understand(they said you aren't needed) and be happy for you. Your sense of loyalty, though admirable, will not put food on the table.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, let me say I'm sorry to hear that, Eric. I've been downsized out of jobs before, and just flat out fired at a couple. Losing your job is never a good experience, but what comes after can be the change that you really needed but didn't realize it. One of the last jobs I had was as a purchasing agent/supply cage clerk at an engine re-manufacturer. To be honest, although the pay wasn't too awful, I didn't like working there. It was very demanding, and the bosses were never happy with anyone. Add to that all the toxic crap flying around in the air (God knows how much Brakleen I inhaled at that place), and it was a negative situation for me, except for a steady paycheck. When I got downsized out of that job, within months I had the job that I'm at now, which I'm happy at. I have a real career, if I want to stick with it, and great benefits. Losing the job at the engine re-manufacturer was a blessing.

I understand loyalty to your employer, and I hope they appreciate you as much as you appreciate them. That said, you must always take care of yourself first and foremost. I think they'll understand. If they were to offer you a magnificent severance package, that would be different. Things being what they are, I think you should be looking elsewhere. If you might be moving anyway, do you have any idea where? And what is your background, exactly? Maybe you could be an engineer for a guitar company (having worked in manufacturing for some time, I am fascinated by guitar blueprints. I know there's more that goes into it than most people think), or some other music-oriented facility. You never know.

Whatever decision you make, I wish you luck. I have faith that something good will come along for you.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not much good to say about your situation other than at least you know well in advance what will happen. You could continue working while job hunting and sharpening up the resume (which must be near perfect these days). See what responses you get from posting your resume on Monster.com, etc.

Start saving $, no matter what happens. Start cutting back on the spending that you can live without, if possible. Everything counts. If you have to buy furnace oil, budget for that. OK, fairly obvious stuff listed here.

If the 2 hour away job pays well enough to make the 4 hours of driving worth it (gas, wear & tear, oil changes, tire changes, higher risk of accidents), it might be your only chance. That's the hard part... not knowing if any other opportunities will surface in the meantime. Will you be working in another state that will take state income taxes out, even though you live in PA? I skipped jobs last year that were 1 to 1.5 hours away because I felt the time and risk just weren't worth it for me personally. I got lucky and got an interview (back in January) for one 22 miles away, and I'll hopefully go from temp to perm in the next month or so. I'm in IT security, BTW.

Something to consider in your timing: Late November to December hiring is almost non-existent outside of seasonal mall jobs. January does improve, but the economy may make it a null factor. Depending on all the other zillion factors, it can take months just to get an interview. An all out job hunt starting right now might not turn into anything solid for a few months, so weight the options. Can you get by with unemployment insurance starting January? (My state doesn't take out income taxes from it, which can hurt later)
    Last edited by Tig; August 20th, 2010 at 05:12 AM.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Rough 3 a.m. answer: I would give up loyalty to the current employer.

I like the fact that the new gig would expose you to many other outfits (as I understand it). Something may click elsewhere, as new people you encounter may like dealing with you?

Stay the course, focused. You will do fine.
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Been there before

I once worked for Warner Music Group a GREAT PLACE TO WORK!!!
    I got hired after being laid for 6 months.

The perks where great the money was good then they announced they where going to out source our IT JOBS or deleted them all together.
    They held a carrot over our heads that some of us would be retained by the off-shore company and 2 weeks per year severance package.

Only 3 people out of 350 got hired and now only 1 of the 3 remain.
    Some people stayed for the package only to find it hard as hell to find a new job and was not looking for a new job until the last few weeks. WTH were they thinking I still wonder if they were watching the news about the California economy?

I left as soon as I found the right fit. Quality of life does matter 2 hours one way is even far by Southern California standards. I always say never jump at the at the 1st thing when in a crisis. But sometimes a change is the best thing for you.

List the pros and cons.

what is the likely hood of finding another career opportunity before December in your current field in this economy?

Is the long commute time a long term or short term situation?

Honestly loyalty to your current employer is not a good move at all.
    Do whats best for your family because companies will lay and fire folks without a care in the world how they are going to make it after being let go.

If you think this is your best chance to find something I would take it. you can still look while your working this new job if it does not work out. It is much easier to find a job when have one than when you don't. I also would not let my wife's plans figure into your current decision at this point you need a LONG TERM CAREER OPPORTUNITY NOW. Let the rest fall as it may when that times comes.

I hope everything works out for you and your family.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I need some advice. It will require a long story to provide the necessary antecedent information, however.

The facility where I've worked for the past 6+ years will be closing shortly. Our last batch of material is slated to be finished around December of this year, and people will be let go shortly thereafter. There will probably be retention bonuses offered shortly, but the benefit will be marginal at best.

I was offered a job today with a different company, more of an engineering consulting job. It sounds like it would be good, but will require a fair bit of local travel. My first assignment would be to a place ~2 hours one way from my house. It's going to mean a lot of time away from home. It would be a chance to see many different companies and do a lot more engineering work first-hand, which is my preference, but there is an opportunity cost.

I have been with my existing company since the early days of our particular facility, and though they've told us we're no longer needed, I still feel a strong dedication to the place. I really want to see it through to the end, and I know I am one of the only people left who gives a hoot about it.

Within a year or two, my wife will probably be going back to school so that she can teach at the collegiate level. In her given field, it's debatable as to whether you need a master's degree or Ph.D. to teach, but since the trend seems to be toward the latter, that's what I'm guessing she'll land on. However, it's not confirmed yet. If she goes with a Ph.D., she might want to work more beforehand to get more experience, as it's usually straight to academia afterward, whereas someone with a master's degree is still employable in a corporate environment. If she chooses to work more, it would delay everything by a year.

When she goes to school, there's a virtual certainty we will be relocating to another area of the country. This would mean a new job for me. I'm OK gutting it out at this travel-intensive job for a year or less, but I'm not sure about doing it for two years. I also feel a really big pull to stay through the end at my current job, even though objectively speaking, there's almost no reason for me to stay (other than the travel thing). It's just idealism and my sense of morality making things difficult.

So my question: what do I do? Stick it out at the current job? Leave for the other job? Hope that we end up moving within a year? See if I can delay taking the new job until later, so that I can finish out this current era of employment? I've talked it over with my director at work, but to no avail -- I left without having much of a conclusion.

I'm so incredibly conflicted right now, because my conscience is telling me the exact opposite of what my objective brain is telling me, and it's killing me in the process. I want to do what's right, but I don't want to regret not making a smart career move.

Argh. Anybody?
    Eric, I can totally relate to this situation. I was with a company for nearly nine years when a buy out and downsizing happened. While your loyalty is a very admirable quality I have to invoke the "nice guys finish last" cliche here.. I can't know your specific companies amount of loyalty to you but I have to judge by my experience. I saw my company make alot of false promises. I saw many people get the short end of the stick. You are a smart guy who has (or is now)weighed his options. You need to take care of your family and do what is best for all of you. The job market is very bad right now. I am working well below my potential and pay grade until things improve. If you can make a parallel or upward move: do it man! The job market is likely not going to get better anytime soon. Your loyalty will be transparent on your next resume. Or should I say invisable. I hate to be that cynical because I value things like loyalty and quality. The reality is though that those things account for little these days. Put your loyalty towards your family and your well being. Do that and you will be better off when the decisions have to be made about your (possible)move and your wifes education.
    LeadedEL84

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

What field is your wife in? Why would you have to leave Philly for her to go back to school? I only ask because there are MORE colleges within a 50 mi radius of Philly than there are of ANY other city in the country.

Does teaching college pay that well? I had read an article that suggested otherwise.

Tough choices my friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Eric - I feel for you being in such a bind. I would have to echo PBP's earlier comment that in the current job market, one might be best served taking the opportunity that is presented now rather than taking the chance another will surface in a few months when your current position expires. That said, your loyalty to your present company is admirable. Whatever you choose, I hope it works out best for you and your family.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython
    What field is your wife in? Why would you have to leave Philly for her to go back to school? I only ask because there are MORE colleges within a 50 mi radius of Philly than there are of ANY other city in the country.

Does teaching college pay that well? I had read an article that suggested otherwise.

Tough choices my friend.
    Well, there's more to life (and work) than just pay.

I don't want to reveal too much online about her, since it's her life, but suffice to say that none of the schools here have programs that are of that much interest to her.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I went to work in another town two hours away by bus for a year, because my previous employment dwindled. I did the best I could and before the year was thru I managed to get a job close to home, and a tenure to boot.

I'm firmly on the view that while there is more to life than work, someone at least in the family must be securely employed at all times. I would rather live elsewhere for weeks and come home for weekends for a while than be uneployed. But if my wife has a good position and I know it will last a while, I don't worry so much.

It's always MUCH easier to find a good position while you have a position somewhere, once you're in between jobs it becomes much more difficult to find a good place. You can always make new choices if it won't work but in NO situation drive yourself in the corner by sticking with a job you KNOW is ending.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose I should fill in some details.

This first 2-hours-away job would probably be ~6 months, with the subsequent jobs probably being closer. On jobs that are remote such as that one, it's not really a commute, but probably more of a 4 x 10-hour work week while staying in that area during the week.

I'm not particularly scared of unemployment. Retention bonus, 2 months' severance, and possibly even the year-end bonus will all be included if I stay to the end. To Sean, my background is as a chemical engineer. I've work in biotech operations for the last 6 years. I think I have enough experience and knowledge that I would catch on somewhere without much difficulty. It's more a matter of whether the new job would be preferable or not.

Somebody said there are a zillion other factors, and that's incredibly true. As anybody could have guessed, there are a ton of things involved in this decision that I haven't mentioned. What it comes down to is that whatever job I get (whether this or a different one), I'm probably not going to be there forever with the pending move. Really the only reason not to take this job, other than the ever-present risk of not knowing what a new job will entail, is that I want to finish what I started at my current job and see it through to the end.

I'm well aware that idealism doesn't get you anywhere, but IMO there are more important things than "getting ahead." Some of you will think I'm an idiot for saying such things, but if I didn't have any sense of right and wrong, I would probably take this new job. That's the whole reason I'm struggling with the decision.

I've always said that morality and idealism are easy until you have to make a sacrifice to maintain them.
    Last edited by Eric; August 20th, 2010 at 09:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    It's always MUCH easier to find a good position while you have a position somewhere, once you're in between jobs it becomes much more difficult to find a good place. You can always make new choices if it won't work but in NO situation drive yourself in the corner by sticking with a job you KNOW is ending.
    That's a good point, and something already considered. I know that the management left here is trying to do the right thing by letting us know early, fighting for retention bonuses, etc. So that makes me not want to repay it with dismissive behavior, but it doesn't seem like the smart move to stay here.

There is a good bit of money I would be leaving on the table by taking this new job, but I haven't discussed money for the new job yet, so I don't know exactly how the numbers would play out.

Post Thanks / Like

Eric,

In todays business world loyalty is a pretty transient thing. I seriously doubt that anyone at your present company who really cares about you at all, would be upset that you took another job.

Despite the rose colored glasses viewpoint that the economy has turned the corner, it hasn't. The unemployement news has gotten worse, and more ecomomists each week are predicting a very bad 2011. So, if you have an opportunity to secure a job now, I'd advise you take it.

If your wife decides to go the PhD route, she's in for a long haul. It takes several years of work to achieve this, less or more depending on the difficulty of the thesis chosen. It'll be a full time job for her, so you'll most likely bear the responsibility as sole bread winner (I can't imagine trying to accomplish this as a part time PhD candidate).

A little tidbit of information for you that pertains to your field. The area of Florida where I live was dubbed "The Treasure Coast" many years ago. This area has made a big committment to become the BioTech capital of Florida and would like to eventually become the BioTech capital of the east coast of the US. There are currently 7-Biotech businesses located here, and this process is still in its infancy. My wife is a high up in the local college here, Indian River State College, that went from a community college (ranked #1 in Florida/top 5- US) to a four year college. They are involved with this effort along with Florida Atlantic University which has a satellite campus in the area. Something to keep your eye on, perhaps. Here's an article with a good overview of what's happening here in this regard.

http://www.siteselection.com/ssinsid...ive/ti0801.htm
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! thing's are changing everywhere.But your young,have skills,your health so you can travel back and forth.Sounds like your have a wonderful wife who supports your efforts/decisions ect.Just don't let God out of the decision making.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    It's always MUCH easier to find a good position while you have a position somewhere, once you're in between jobs it becomes much more difficult to find a good place.
    A disturbing trend in the US is that some hiring companies won't even look at layed off applicants. They consider them the be some other company's trash/undesirables. Sure, some might fall into that category, but there are plenty of good workers who will devote themselves if they get the chance to get back to work.

So, it is even more important to get the next job while you are still in the current one.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Jobs come and go. Do what makes you happy. That is all.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I'd talk to the new job to see if they can delay your start with them. They should be impressed with your dedication to your present employer; even if they say no it will put you in a good light.

If they can't delay the start I wouldn't feel any further compulsion to stay with the old job. Asking in itself is more than what's owed (nothing) to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    I'd talk to the new job to see if they can delay your start with them. They should be impressed with your dedication to your present employer; even if they say no it will put you in a good light.

If they can't delay the start I wouldn't feel any further compulsion to stay with the old job. Asking in itself is more than what's owed (nothing) to begin with.
    I think you hit the nail on the head, Brian. That's more or less what I was planning to do.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I may not do exactly what anybody has suggested, but it has definitely helped add a little perspective to the whole thing. I feel like I could respond individually to each post in here, either agreeing with, refuting, or clarifying about what has been said, but I'll spare all of you from that.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast