Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Which Strat to get?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigG
    MAXI,

My apologies. You are correct. I was going on info given to me by my local Fender dealer recently, as I, too, was possibly interested in trading up, and it was he who gave me the bogus info re: the pups and said that the only trade-up that would really be noticeably better than my MIM was the American Standard. The reality is that the MIM Standard Strat is loaded w Tex Mex pups, and the American Special with Texas Specials (as you pointed out), as I just verified by calling my local dealer...he called the Fender rep...got it straight, and just called me back w the corrected info.

My mistake, my error, my fault...but I thought I was given correct info from my dealer when I wrote that. (No need in going into the bridge HB, as I was mainly interested in correcting the single-coil snafu.) I hope no harm was done in anyone's decision-making. In the end, trust your ears and the tone that you like, eh...

This has just not been my day. It's sucked so far and now this. There is really no excuse for putting forward incorrect info like I did, and I'm beating myself up for doing it. I am REALLY glad you caught my error and that the corrected info is now available.

G
    NO WORRIES ITS NOT A BIG DEAL
    I just wanted to put the correct info in the thread and share my love of American Special Guitars. Besides I am sure I've misquoted something here before. CHEERS bigG
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

If you aren't very strict on Fender logo, then you can order Carvin Bolt with lots of options. (mmm, stainless steel frets and Sperzel locking tuners )
    The sound may differ from Fenders because of pickups, but should be pretty close - after all, it's still single coil bolt-on guitar with your choice of wood.
    Last edited by barber76; August 25th, 2010 at 02:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

what are the differences between the American Standard and a Highway One? Are these not both the base USA made??
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again, all. So much good advice . . . maybe too much which was the original issue. Now I've got some great pointers to shop with. Haven't really set a budget yet. This is early stage pondering GAS. Just didn't know where to start. Now I do and what I have learned is MIA is not the be all, end all. So, as many said, I think I'll save some dollars and still make myself happy.

Meanwhile . . . more happy research for me!
    Seize The Fish!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, all MIA strats I've played of late have been great guitars indeed, which is not at all what I found to be the case in the early 90s at least around here...these days it's the Gibsons that have plenty of lemons...

But anyway I'm quite taken by the Squire Classic Player neck I have, it's a DAMNED good guitar neck indeed. If I were looking for a strat just now I'd at least check them out and consider a pickup upgrade. On which I can't comment, I use EMG humbuckers on all my strats... I just don't play stuff that those strat singles work with well.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

If i were to get annother strat I would get an esp 400 series from ebay ...they run in the $450-650 range and blow a current american strat out of the water.

I had the chance to try a few and was so impressed that I purchased a new esp vintage plus. ( a reintroduction of the highly reviered 400 series ).

it's custom shop quality without the custom shop price

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Strat

I'd say if you want a real good modern rock type strat that it would be a good idea to check out one of those new double humbucker Black Top strats.

That Black with rosewood neck Black Top strat is really cool looking to me, and if they actually have "hot" humbuckers, it would be an awesome rock guitar, without doubt; and, be able to handle high gain without a lot of irritating noise, unlike the single coil equipped strats, even in the noise cancelling postitions. The Black Top could be an awesome strat for 445 dollars.

The standard strats are really great for the traditional strat sound, but not necessarily for the heavy modern sounds. As far as a traditional strat I'd also suggest a Squier Classic Vibe or if the headstock name is a turn off, get a Fender Roadhouse or Lone Star, both great MIM guitars, really great; and not too expensive.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12