Thread: Easy Songs for a Newbie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Easy Songs for a Newbie

Hello To All,
    I'm looking for some help. I have played Bass guitar for about 10 years and I'm new to 6 string Guitars what sort of songs do people reccommend for some one like me to learn?

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, I was just looking at this for songs to work on with a teen I know. I thought "Let It Be" would be a good one. Four chords and you're there.

If others have good suggestions, I'd like to hear them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx For the idea will look at tab.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of music do you like?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    What kind of music do you like?
    Hiya Marnold Mostly Classic rock/rock and blue's rock

Post Thanks / Like

What chords do you know? There are a ton of songs that can be transposed to G, but you wouldn't be able to play along to the recordings then.

"A Horse With No Name" is probably the easiest song I've ever played.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Funny, I was just looking at this for songs to work on with a teen I know. I thought "Let It Be" would be a good one. Four chords and you're there.

How are you doing on the timing on that one Eric? I like that song and tried it last night. A good one, but you have to rip through three chords between verses as a transition.

Brown eyed girl, most any Eagles song (Hotel California, Peaceful Easy Feeling), Jimmy Buffet songs, lots of others like that are good for beginner fodder as well.

Slower Pearl Jam (Crazy Mary for instance), If I had a Million Dollars, by Bare Naked Ladies, Keep on Rockin in the Freeworld, and many other Neil Young songs. Some of the acoustic Neil songs have some funky rhythm things you have to watch out for.

I am sure there are many others. If I had my first few years to do over again, I would keep the material easier (rather than reach for this or that song I wanted to learn), and work more closely with a metronome in addition to backing tracks or playing with songs, to really nail down my timing and accuracy.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    How are you doing on the timing on that one Eric? I like that song and tried it last night. A good one, but you have to rip through three chords between verses as a transition.
    Well, the kid I picked it out for still has trouble making the C chord (I transposed it to G to make it easier for him), so it was slow going. I just chopped out those quick chords at the end of the verse, since it sounds fine without them.

One of my favorite songs to learn when I was starting was "Wonderwall" by Oasis. SUPER simple, since you can just lock in your pinky and ring finger on the third frets and leave them there. The only challenging part was the strumming pattern.

Post Thanks / Like

you can go here to the beginner page: http://spytunes.com/acoustic-guitar/...r-lessons.html

or scroll down here:
    http://www.justinguitar.com/en/ST-000-SongsTAB.php

and last but definitely not least, to get your blues on from our forum guru Robert (again, scroll down) Choose your level of difficulty:

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/guitar_video_lessons/

Hope that helps!
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Creedence Clearwater Revival has super simple songs that however are great for practicing rhythm and ways of picking. Work also both on acoustic and electric. No need for tabs either, just chord markings suffice, and make you think a little how they must be played. 'Born on the Bayou' for instance has basically a single chord picked in various ways and GREAT rhythm exercise.

Most any old beatles song is good basic training as well.

If you're wanting to go heavy, old Judas Priest and Sabbath are good places to start.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

The first song I ever learned how to play was Rock You Like A Hurricane by the Scorpions. lol
    Guitars: Jackson Soloist (1990), Fender Strat (1991), Fender Baja Tele (2009), Agile 3100 (2009), Music Man JP6 (2007), Larrivee D-03R (2007)

Amps: Hughes & Kettner Triamp MKI, Peavey Classic Chorus 212

Most Used Effects: Dunlop Hendrix Wah, Ibanez TS-9, Hermida Zendrive, Digitech Whammy, Maxon AD-900 Delay, Way Huge Aqua Puss, Boss DD-3, Boss CE-5, Electro-Harmonix Holier Grail, Zoom G9

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

I figured out a good beginner's workaround to those transitional chords. You can do a walk down from the G chord, playing B on the A string second fret then open A string to the C chord. That would be a good beginner intro concept in itself.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Smoke on the Water's intro is fairly easy...
    Metallica for Life

1983 - Kill Em' All
    1984 - Ride the Lightning
    1986 - Master of Puppets
    1988 - ...And Justice for All
    1991 - Metallica(The Black Album)
    1996 - Load
    1997 - Re-Load
    2003 - St. Anger
    2008 - Death Magnetic