Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffee - how do you brew?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Coffee - how do you brew?

Just had to order a new coffee maker. We had been using a Meliita Grind and Brew that I loved. Good coffee, could use whole beans, and set it to start automatically. It broke, and they don't make them anymore, so I just had to order a Cuisinart Grind and Brew.

While we have been waiting, I am using the old french press. Not a bad way to go either, though I prefer good drip coffee.

How do you brew?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using an electric percolator for many years. It's really fast (a cup a minute) and makes really hot coffee.

Post Thanks / Like

We have drip coffee makers at the office and Casa Krashpad. At work we use the pre-ground packets. At home we sometimes fresh grind whole beans (we have a separate grinder) but more often use pre-ground coffee.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have lots of tips on my coffee website - www.bestcoffeenews.com !

Use good quality coffee, freshly roasted and freshly ground
    Use fresh, clean, cold water. Filtered or bottled water works well, but avoid distilled or softened water.
    The grind chosen must be of the correct fineness for the chosen brewing method.
    The pot should be cleaned and warm.
    Make only enough coffee for your immediate needs. The coffee will deteriorate if you keep it too long. Avoid reheating coffee, it just doesn't taste the same.
    Avoid boiling brewed coffee - it is a sure way to spoil the coffee.
    Use approximately 70 grams of coffee per litre of water.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Several months back I bought a programmable Cuisinart coffee pot. It died just after the warranty ran out (took 45 minutes to brew a half pot). I then bought some other expensive brand of programmable coffee pot (can't recall what brand) and it was DOA, never worked.

Figuring that multiple function electronics are just too much for Chinese manufacturing capabilities, I went to WalMart and bought a simple, on/off, made in China, Mr. Coffee pot for $16.00. Has worked like a charm going on 6-months now. I load it up the night before and simply push the button in the morning.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I have lots of tips on my coffee website - www.bestcoffeenews.com !

Use good quality coffee, freshly roasted and freshly ground
    Use fresh, clean, cold water. Filtered or bottled water works well, but avoid distilled or softened water.
    The grind chosen must be of the correct fineness for the chosen brewing method.
    The pot should be cleaned and warm.
    Make only enough coffee for your immediate needs. The coffee will deteriorate if you keep it too long. Avoid reheating coffee, it just doesn't taste the same.
    Avoid boiling brewed coffee - it is a sure way to spoil the coffee.
    Use approximately 70 grams of coffee per litre of water.
    LOL!! I did not know or forgot you had a coffee site. I knew you loved coffee!

Blooz, I hope this one is better. I considered going with a basic pot and grinding each time (I like grinding it fresh) but I really liked the convenience of just pouring the beans and water in and it doing the rest in the morning. If it takes a long time to brew, I will send it back and get a new grinder (that died a while back too) and a melitta style filter basic pot.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I actually never started drinking coffee, and I still don't. I feel kind of weird and sometimes disconnected from society, not drinking coffee. Still, I figure it's not necessarily a bad thing.

I did drink soda for a number of years to get some caffeine, but recently I gave that up too, and it hasn't been too bad transition-wise.

Coffee seems like a fun hobby, but I just never really had a need to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We use a French Press. Brew 4 cups every morning, which is enough for 1 mug for me 1 mug for the wife.

I use half and half or heavy cream, and 1T. ground coffee per cup in the press. Brew for 4 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, I am disappointed, as I expected some folks to come and provide a dissertation on proper grinding methods, (expensive) hardware, and details on the all-important pour..!

Edit to clarify: I just heard, or read about the above, I do not practice any of it.
    Last edited by poodlesrule; August 25th, 2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: extra material to clarify!
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use whatever coffee is on sale, and pre ground for drip machines, so that's blasphemy, I'm sure.

Post Thanks / Like

On the wagon ... instant decaf for me ... (ducking)
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

I use a basic Mr. Coffee that I had all through college. I like my coffee efficient. Quick and dark.

Post Thanks / Like

Half-Caf drip grind through a De’Longhi coffee maker. Black. Nothing special.
    Steve
    P R O J E C T - 4 3
    http://www.project-43.com/
    Support Indie Music!
    http://itunes.com/project-43

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    LOL!! I did not know or forgot you had a coffee site. I knew you loved coffee!

Blooz, I hope this one is better. I considered going with a basic pot and grinding each time (I like grinding it fresh) but I really liked the convenience of just pouring the beans and water in and it doing the rest in the morning. If it takes a long time to brew, I will send it back and get a new grinder (that died a while back too) and a melitta style filter basic pot.
    I have a 20 year old Krupps electric grinder too, but I only use it with "special" coffee. I buy the 40oz bag of whole bean Starbucks French Roast at BJ's wholesale. They have a grinder right there in the store, so I just grind it up before bringing it home. The finest setting called "Turkish" works best, I've found. It seems to capture more of the flavor than a coarser grind does.

I was really disappointed in, and quite miffed with, the "bigger name" machines I bought. It's a shame that Krupps, Braun, Cuisinart, Melitta, et al, choose to live off their reputations for quality as they sell inferior products made in China and Mexico. Sadly, it's life in the 21st century...
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually have the alarm clockable grind+brew kind but at the office or when i am not making lots of cofffee: these things are simple as anything and cheap. grind coffee, boil water, pour through (once? twice? three times? ) it will ... be very strong. and delicious. :-)

http://www.espresso-machines-and-cof...fee-maker.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monkus
    On the wagon ... instant decaf for me ... (ducking)
    Monkus just switch over to Ganga Tea, you'll be Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Coffee makes mine.
    Guitars: Charvel/Jackson CSM-1G, DeArmond M-75, DeArmond Starfire Special, DeArmond S-73, Epiphone Collegiate UK, Squier 51, Michael Kelly Patriot Custom, Harmony Sovereign, Taylor 310, Takamine 12 string, SX thinline, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez JTK30,
    Amps: Earth Sound Research G-2000 Super Guitar head into Avatar G212H cab, Fender Sidekick 20 Chorus, Peavey Classic 20, Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Express 112, Fender Super Champ XD, Vibro Champ XD
    Effects: Digitech EX-7, Digitech RP-250

Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100% with Robert on coffee preferences. I actually got into roasting my own coffee. It's definitely a cheap option once you get the stuff.

Used bread maker - 10 bucks
    Heat Gun 1000 degrees f - 25 new, 10-15 used
    Green Coffee - ~$5 /lb at Sweet Maria's

My preferred brewing method is with a burr grinder and an aeropress or clever coffee dripper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    We use a French Press. Brew 4 cups every morning, which is enough for 1 mug for me 1 mug for the wife.

I use half and half or heavy cream, and 1T. ground coffee per cup in the press. Brew for 4 minutes.

This. A clean press and your favorite bean blend,not too fine of grind.Coffee heaven!

You got to look around for beans though,support your local roaster and he may make you a blend and name it after you!
    They call my blend Stiff Blend after my band. 60% Sumatra ,40% Kenya, pretty dark but not esspreso dark.YUMMY!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast