Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fender Super-Sonic 22

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shop

Players exchange. Any better places?
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Super-Sonic 22 on hold right now.
    I am going to make up my mind today or tomorrow.
    I am going to try to get over to GC to test drive the Tweaker to decide weather or not to grab or hold off.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Just turn up your Deville and save your money! It will sound better too.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I let it go did not want to buy it until I laid hands on the tweaker.
    For the price of the Super-Sonic 22
    I could get the Tweaker & an Ibanez DN500 AKA the Dark Stone.
    That seems like a much better decision but if I check out the tweaker and dont like it Super-Sonic 22 here I come.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Default SuperSonic 60

Played the SuperSonic 60 at the store again today and it is progressively sounding less good to me and more muddy. The BURN channel that originally turned me on now has WAY less allure.

I came home and got my limited edition tweed Hot Rod Deluxe with the Jensen P12n speaker out of my guitar room and bought it down to my bedroom - my playing area - and played it. Haven't turned it on in over a year.

It sounded way better than the SuperSonic on the clean channel, of course, but, suprisingly also better on the drive and more drive channels. This is a premium version of the HRDX though and I'm sure that makes a difference. So the desire for a SuperSonic has dissipated and my anxiety over picking up my new Tweaker on Thursday has my full attention.

After never playing the Tweaker or heard it in person, I'm hoping it cracks out to be the awesome amp I see on Youtube and hear about from my friends and on the forums.

I'm also going to have a new Agile AL 3100 to play thru it.

Now I want an OCD overdrive pedal and a Seymour Duncan "Pickup Booster" pedal.

Glad I didn't lay down eight hundred dollars for that brand new SuperSonic 60 even though it was a great price. If anyone is interested, I have no affln. with the store, but I can give you the phone number of the store that has the SuperSonic 60 straight line lettering "SuperSonic", old style that is blonde and brand new and selling for eight hundred in perfect condition and sounds better to me than the new version. Anyway, if you are interested let me know and I'll give you the info. I'm sure they ship stuff out.

I got two moderately priced new items for less money that will hopefully equate to more value than the price of the SS and provide me with a lot of fun.

That G and L ASAT classic tele sounded real good thru that Ltd Ed tweed HRDX. Definitely going into my amp wall today.

By the way, the entire Hot Rod series is being updated with the Hot Rod III versions starting with the Blues Jr III going all the way up to the Deville III; and they are blowing out the old style Hot Rods on the big sites.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Post Thanks / Like

And there is another review here:
    http://en.audiofanzine.com/guitar-co...per-sonic.html

IMO very expensive. And if you play hard metal, it's probably not your best bet.

Post Thanks / Like

While I'm not exactly much of a high-gain player myself, I know others who are never seem to be satisfied with any of Fender's products.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard a guy trying it out last week this is a great amp.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:

Post Thanks / Like

I go to my local music store on Saturday to take my daughter to her voice lessons and low and behold they have another Blond Fender SuperSonic 22 in stock.

UGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH temptation once again right dab smack in my face. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Wait for the tweaker 40 or jump on this UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK
    Wait for the tweaker 40 or jump on this UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
    Go with what speaks to you the most after another round of demo's.

I say a Tweaker in any size will keep you happier for longer. The Rebel 30 1x12 is also a must-demo for $100 less than the SS 22. My choices for Fender amps under $1000 are the '65 Deluxe or Princeton Reverbs, or the super simple Pro Jr.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's not what you're considering, but just speaking of great amps at a good value, I saw a guy today advertising a Gibson GA-15R for only $400 in the local Craigslist. That's one great sounding 1X12" combo, 2XEL84's

Post Thanks / Like

Default SuperSonic

I was definitely going to buy a SuperSonic 60 watt for 800, brand new; until I read about and looked into the Egnater Tweaker 15.

I wanted something that would give me heavy smooth overdrive, like the SuperSonic on "Burn". The reports indicated that the Tweaker was an awesome head. A dude I know that is a major local blues guitar player in a popular band and also works at a high class music store, told me about an awesome little amp he played that a mfg rep brought in to the store: the Tweaker. I told him I heard about it.

I ordered a Tweaker sight unseen and it turned out to be an awesome head. I had been moving away from the SuperSonic 60 to a Marshall DSL 100, an even nicer amp than the SuperSonic, but way more money.

The Tweaker provided me with the sound I wanted plus left me with a lot of money that I used to buy a nice Agile LP copy that I have always wanted; plus I still had considerable money left over.

In my opinion the Supersonic is way overpriced. A decent amp, but only touches in sound on other amps that produce that real nice overdriven sound that the "Burn" setting trys to give. Plus these other amps have a lot more versitility than the SuperSonic. I think my special edition tweed Hot Rod Deluxe sounds just as good as the SuperSonic, and they cost way less. I would imagine that SuperSonic sales are relatively low in the Fender lineup, considering the alternatives, as previously mentioned.

But I also agree that it's a subjective decision and you should do what you want, get what you want, and play through a lot of the alternatives that are within your price zone.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so after having this amp on loan to me for the last month. I can truly say this a great amp and for the price it is truly a steal.
    There is not a better amp combo out there for its price point or even higher for a low wattage amp. If you want to call 22 fender watts low.

I have had this thing cranked and it gets plenty loud perfect for damn near any gig and miked its good for any gig. Build quality is spotless not a single flaw period, solid as a cinder block.

Ok, now on to the details of this amp the clean channel 1st.

It is very basic volume, bass, treble, & FAT switch classic fender clean tone but with 2 versions with and without the fat switch. Without the fat switch engaged it sounds like my Deville with the bright switch engaged. With the Fat switch engaged you get a more mid & bass tone with lots more bite to it. I love this setting wish it was on my Deville. You could use it as a clean boost lets say. As always sounds fantastic with pedals.

Now onto the Burn Channel-
    Yes you can use it for metal maybe not the growl crazy metal but add a distortion pedal and it done without issue. I bought a ZZ TOP tab book last and never got around to learning the songs until recently you can get killer Texas blues, crunch tones all the way to Disturbed tones out of this amp at any volume levels. It does not have that over the top distortion my buddy's Marshall JVM205C has but for every tone you can get out of the Supersonic 22 it sounds just as good if not better with many tones and can do it at much lower volume levels which the Marshall JVM205C can not do very well. As my buddy said the older supersonic does compare to this amp all, everything I hated about the older version they fixed with this one.

Pros-
    Light weight all tube American made amp.
    Above average tones for any style of music except massive distortion tones.
    Loud enough for any size gig.
    Can be easily be hooked up to a larger cab 2-XX or 4-XX

Cons-
    People's perception or misconception that fender is not cable of producing a good distorted tone.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12