Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fender Super-Sonic 22

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fender Super-Sonic 22

To buy or not to buy that is the question.

I was really looking into getting Egnater Tweaker 15 watt head. the street price is around $399.00 USD
    http://www.egnateramps.com/Products/...eakerHead.html

Then I starting seeing the Fender Super-Sonic 22 on the fender site.
    http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2160000400
    My interest peaked on sight a low watt fender amp that actual can do all levels of distortion. So, low and Behold I take my daughter to singing lessons on Saturday and my local store has one in stock. I was in a rush couldn't test drive it. This I will do today. The owner and the manager did give it a whirl and highly recommend this amp.

My only concern is the $999.99 USD street value price tag.
    The same price as a Fender ’65 Deluxe Reverb Combo Amp.
    The Super-Sonic 22 is basically that amp with a added highly tweak-able Distortion Channel.

So, I wonder what you guys think snatch it or hold out there are better options in that price range.

Here are two reviews of the amp.
    http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...mp_Review.aspx
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQcVYgu2UOo

More links for the amp:
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...Amp?sku=430759
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-S...59-i1537827.gc
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

You could get a used regular Supersonic. They go pretty cheap.
    Patrick

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Duff emailed me about a Supersonic 60. He said he could get it for 800 bucks. So I would think the 22 would be a little less than 999.
    For me the 65 deluxe is probably the best sounding amp that Fender ever made. Adding a gain channel and some fat boost would only make it better.
    I use pedals to achieve this but if you can do it internally all that much better.
    I like the blonde as well. If you can get it for under 900 I would buy it.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried out the Super Sonic, but the Tweaker is a really, really nice amph. I have seen some videos of the SS, and it does sound good. The Tweaker seems to be a lot of amph for the price. I know my brother (NW Basser) wants one bad enough to sell a kidney for it.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I played the 60 watt Supersonic today, as a matter of fact! They didn't have the 22 watt which interests me more for my needs.

What impressed me the most (other than the variety of tones that this Fender could produce) is that I couldn't get a bad sound out of it. No matter what I set the tone and gains (yes, it has 2 gain stages) to, it always sounded good or even great. The cleans were all you expect from a Fender, and while the high gain button didn't blow be away, it was nice to have the extra roar to play with.

So, if you can afford one, by all means, demo it and see how it works for you. I like the high gain I get out of my Tweaker more (I needed more time to dial it in than was available), but otherwise, they are comparable. The Tweaker kicks arse at the much lower price range, but it is only a half step down in overall tonal bliss.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your input any other opinions would be greatly appreciated as well.

I guess I should have stated I already have a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410.
    Which I love but that amp really does not have a middle ground after 2 it gets loud and only louder from there, most of the time at home I use it set around 1 1/2 to 2 and some times 3. The super-sonic 60 does look really cool but I was really wanting a lower wattage amp for earlier break up that could be more versatile than my Deville that would take pedals as well as my Deville or none at all and still get the growl I want. Don't get me wrong the clean sound on the DeVille is perfect to my ears and Growl it has but not at low volumes.

Thus I was looking at the Tweaker USA&BRIT TONES for cheap and made by a really good company that has been around for a while thus they would have its manufacturing process down I.E. Reliability.

Then the Super-sonic 22 comes out the Fender clean sound I love and hopefully the distortion that I'll love as much as the clean channel.
    Since these are NEW this year I do not see anyone dropping below the $999.99 USD street prices at least not this soon anyway maybe on black Friday. So, I know going in I'll be paying Full street price for this sucker.

I'll test drive it tonight I have my CV ThinLine Tele with me today to use for the test Drive. to be honest the Price tag does give me pause.

FYI- it is the blonde version a very nice looking amp as well.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    I played the 60 watt Supersonic today, as a matter of fact! They didn't have the 22 watt which interests me more for my needs.

What impressed me the most (other than the variety of tones that this Fender could produce) is that I couldn't get a bad sound out of it. No matter what I set the tone and gains (yes, it has 2 gain stages) to, it always sounded good or even great. The cleans were all you expect from a Fender, and while the high gain button didn't blow be away, it was nice to have the extra roar to play with.

So, if you can afford one, by all means, demo it and see how it works for you. I like the high gain I get out of my Tweaker more (I needed more time to dial it in than was available), but otherwise, they are comparable. The Tweaker kicks arse at the much lower price range, but it is only a half step down in overall tonal bliss.
    You popped in while I was typing. Thanks sounds great.
    Yeah no one seems to have them on their floor yet and the guy at my local store said he was surprised when this one arrived and said he no idea when they would get another one If I decide to wait. See after reading your post I want them both. UGH GAS is a CRAZY ISSUE.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter
    I haven't tried out the Super Sonic, but the Tweaker is a really, really nice amph. I have seen some videos of the SS, and it does sound good. The Tweaker seems to be a lot of amph for the price. I know my brother (NW Basser) wants one bad enough to sell a kidney for it.
    Hmm, true dat.

I tried the combo yesterday and I'm quite smitten with it. However, my tone goals may be different than yours. I like a very thick and creamy sound, sort of like a strong outmeat stout.

I find most, if not all, Fender amphs to sound somewhat tinny to my ears and for my style. I tried a SCXD and had the bass dimed and it still sounded too light for me. I think Fender amphs have a pilsner taste to them while the Tweaker is more Guiness. Perhaps due to my bass playing, I like a really fat sound with strong bottom to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser
    Hmm, true dat.

I tried the combo yesterday and I'm quite smitten with it. However, my tone goals may be different than yours. I like a very thick and creamy sound, sort of like a strong outmeat stout.

I find most, if not all, Fender amphs to sound somewhat tinny to my ears and for my style. I tried a SCXD and had the bass dimed and it still sounded too light for me. I think Fender amphs have a pilsner taste to them while the Tweaker is more Guiness. Perhaps due to my bass playing, I like a really fat sound with strong bottom to it.
    Being a Bass player 1st myself also I sort like the highs and mids of my fender amp. When I want the bottom only the Bass will do. although I clearly understand what you mean you like a heavier tone and yeah Fender's are not know for that. Although my DeVille 410 can give out lots of bass but having the 4x10's helps a lot with that moves more air and more speaker surface.

Yeah, I am convinced more than ever I want both but 1st I'll see how this Super-sonic floats my boat. Thanks for the input my fellow low end brethren!
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Maxi, it seems that I have fairly defined tone goals for guitar and am not much of a dilletante in that regard.

A Les Paul through a moderate to heavily saturated tube amph floats my boat. I also don't use any effects. That's just me though. I guess I'm old and set in my ways!

That's not to say that I don't like other guitar sounds though. For instance, I love Jim Burton's playing and his tele and Fender amphs sound perfect for his style.

I like listening to a lot of strat players too, but don't really want one for myself.

Let us know how the new amph works out if you get it.

PS - When playing bass, I much prefer for the guitarist to have a bright tone and not compete with my bottom-end!

Post Thanks / Like

I've played the 60 watt version, and it is one outstanding amph. Great tones!

BUT... I think the 22 watt version is overpriced, IMO, given the flood of 15 to 20 watters out there for much less money.

Here's an idea... Sell the Deville. Get the Tweaker now. Wait a month or two. There WILL be some used ones coming in when some players find the Super Sonic doesn't meet their needs.

Then, pick up a used 22 watter at a much cheaper price.

You get both amphs. Tonal bliss included.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the deville 410 is a killer amp. The supersonic can't really touch it. Yeah it gets loud I know...
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    Here's an idea... Sell the Deville.
    Not unless I'm broke and have to sell it.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:

Post Thanks / Like

@ Robert there is no way I'm selling that amp.

OK here is what I think of the Fender Super-Sonic 22 1x12.
    1st off it is made right here in Corona California well that explains the price right up front.

This all tube amp has the goods and then some it really can do it all.
    Extremely well made easy to manipulate all of the knobs are smartly laid out.

The only CON I thought the reverb was just a little to revebery if there is such a word. Any thing past 2 seems to be too much reverb for my taste or ears anyway.

The Pros:

The Fat switch on the clean channel adds umph and thickness to the tone give it a rich sweetness. Very Cool. Fender clean tone is present and accounted for yes indeed.

These 22 watts can get nice and loud has a lot of headroom and punch for a amp of its size and wattage level.

The burn channel is what makes this amp worth the money.
    Its not going to do Mesa Boogie or ENGL distortion but it is more than capable of handling metal. I have the master volume on 1 and the gain 1 & gain 2 all the way up and the tone was not muddy at all it was a very usable tone a killer late night volume level for the high gain crowd to enjoy. I just wish I had brought my HSS strat or LP along to hear a humbucker guitar at that volume level. There where many usable tones just by tweaking the knobs to your desired setting.

Sustain for years, brown sound, plays along with your pick attack and guitar volume level on cue. If you have the fingers it well let you shine to your proper ability level. Ac/Dc, STP, Tool, Korn, EVH, Zep, Jimi, Pfunk, SVR, ZZ top, Johnny guitar Watson all present and accounted for and then some.

This amp was better than I thought it would be. If you want an amp to record with or to do small gigs with or mic it for medium gigs that can do it all but extreme metal high gain sounds this is the one for you.

The only draw back is the $999.99 USD price tag. Honestly though I do think its worth the price.

I did not get it yet I always wait 24 hours before I buy something like this to make sure its not just an impulse buy or a knee jerk reaction. Heck I have not had my Deville no more than 4 or 5 months.

It looks like one of these 3 options will happen.

1. I get the Super-sonic now price be damned and get the tweaker when rev2 comes out.

2. Get the tweaker for my B-Day or the holidays as I planed all along. And get the Super-Sonic 22 in 2011.

3. Get the Super-Sonic 22 and be happy as a pig in slop between that and the Deville 410 I'm covered.

Gas issues is always so complicated when you know it's a want not a need type of a buy.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We're talking about the new Supersonic that just came out last month, not the older version. Pretty big difference.

I liked the Bassman mode switch to beef up the thickness in the Vintage side of the amp.
    However, the 60 watt has 10 tubes, which could get costly!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    We're talking about the new Supersonic that just came out last month, not the older version. Pretty big difference.

I liked the Bassman mode switch to beef up the thickness in the Vintage side of the amp.
    However, the 60 watt has 10 tubes, which could get costly!
    Yeah the new 22 watt version just released in the last month which has 7 tubes.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Corona Cali. That is a plus for sure. My 65 reissue is made in Mehico, and I still love the tone. I paid almost 900 Can. for mine a couple of years ago.
    999 for the blonde MIA would be very tempting for me. Although I have all the amps I will ever need now. I hear ya about the gas.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amps

Zman,

I EXTENSIVELY compared the Supersonic with the JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead 100 today for a couple hours.

Conclusion:

The Marshal DSL 100 is a FAR superior amp. The Supersonic was the 60 not the 22.

The depth of tone and complexity of tone with the DSL was WAY superior. The notes rang with way less MUDDINESS, if you can call a Supersonic muddy. But to my ear this is true, the DSL was really a truly complex and complete tone.

Also, the DSL has a good clean sound but far superior overdrive sounds with the several overdrive options, all of which produce smooth clear overdrive that sound full and highly complex with lots of harmonics and a broad width of tone compared to the much thinner sounding width of the tone on the Supersonic.

So, the Supersonic is off my list of possible amps. Even at 800 I think I can do better. My new Vox AC15c1 with the bad monkey and digitech hardwire reverb in front of it sounds better than the Supersonic, really professional sounding with superior tone.

I'm thinking of trying an Egnater Tweaker. It is supposed to have overdrive saturation something like the DSL, hard to believe with the price difference, but nonetheless possible.

I don't think I want to spend more than six hundred on an amp again, and probably less considering I have some great six hundred dollar amps. I might even look for a used great amp. A place in Harrisburg sells supposedly high quality used amps and guitars and I want to check the place out but don't like buying someone elses problems.

Also, I'm going to put my Hot Rod Deluxe Special Edition with the tweed and Jensen P12n back into my amp wall and remove my Crate V32 Palomino 212 for some routine maintenance.

So, any ideas on the Tweaker?
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

What shop is that in Harrisburg, Duffy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast