Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compressors, The good, The bad, The ugly??

Post Thanks / Like

where you have it in the chain makes a big difference,,if used after modulation pedals it canl do some funky things to your sound..I have mine first in the chain dialed in low so it really doesn't alter my other effects in a very noticeable way.

I can't say enough about the byoc 5 knob, it's as "transparent' as any compresser I've used and the most important to me... amazingly quiet for a compressor.

I also used a dynacomp for years but it definatly colors the tone, some people really like it's vibe but I am more into keeping the original tone as much as possible these days and the 5 knob does just that (it's infinitly adjustable)
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, 6stringdrug, they can take some getting used to. One thing to keep in mind, as Andy states, compressors should be before (as a general rule) any modulation effects. Usually the first thing you plug your guitar into (maybe an EQ first, then compressor), so try it first, with the compression set low like I have mine. See how it treats your effects then. If you have an effects loop on your amp, might try putting the modulation effects there.
    The general rule of thumb for effects order is:
    Compression
    Distortion/overdrive/fuzz
    Modulation (phaser, flager, chorus, etc.)
    Delay/Echo
    the the amp

But, this is a guideline, not set in stone. For example, I have 2 phasers, the VP1 (EH clone), I think, sound best before the distortion/overdrive; the other, a PH9 (MXR 90 clone) sounds best after... Some put Wah pedals before distortion/fuzz, some after, it is all a matter of taste. For the most part, you will find that most people prefer compression to be before most all effects in the chain.
    I hope this helps in your [never-ending] quest for the best tone you can get!
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like

As of this moment, my chain is as follows:

Guitar
    Boss Tu-2
    Comp (either bbe orange squeeze or boss cs2)
    Budda budwah
    Ibanez ts-808
    boss ph-2
    ibanez cs-9
    boss bf-2
    boss dd3
    fender superchamp xd

still playing with the phaser, it's new to me too, love it. I probably will take the flanger out, don't use it so much anyway, and I can get a very similar sound out of the phaser and chorus in unison. The more time I spend with the compressors the more I like them. They both have very unique capabilities. I am running out of room on my board, but since it's homemade, I can always make another. I would like to keep them both, the boss is a great boost/sustainer and the bbe is a very nice compressor. I like the compression on the bbe better, but the boost/sustain from the boss is very very cool. Still looking to add analog delay, a leslie simulator and another distortion and OD pedals.

My quest for the "precious" IS neverending. I am currently squirrlling my money for a Blues deluxe. Played one at GC a couple months back and am in absolute love over it. Told anyone who might possibly get me a gift for christmas to give me cash or ebay cards! lol

back to subject.....I have had some more time to play with these two compressors and for sure am going to find tons of applications for them. Thanks for all the input guys!

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like a great setup you have. I don't even have a flanger (can't seem to find one that I like), but, I am a big fan of phasers. That is the reason I have two of them! I must admit that one of the main reasons that I put the VP1 (EH Small Stone clone) before the distortion is because of a level difference between when it is on vs. when it is off. When it is after the distortion (or without it) you can hear the change in volume when it is switched on... Not so much with the PH9. And, they sound very different from each other (maybe I will do a comparrison...).

Anyway, if you want the "best" compressor for guitar, the Rockman Guitar Compressor was designed for the guitar, "tailor made" for the way that a guitar sounds/plays/etc... If money could be picked from trees, I would have one of those! LOL
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like

dean, the phaser is awesome. starting to wonder why I ever got rid of my phase 90. That was years ago and I really wasn't toying with sound like I do now. I might have to get another ph2 so I don't have to switch from mode I to mode II onstage. I really hate messing with my pedal settings onstage, I have tweaked them so outta whack I can't listen to myself anymore! That's why I use the flanger, it gives me the chorus on steroids sound. Andy Summers style. We do a cover of "faith" and I start clean, then add flange, then OD as it progresses. But I've been liking what the phaser does instead of the flanger on that song. I have rehearsal tomorrow, I'd like to hear what the rest of the band thinks before I break it out onstage. We are pretty tight onstage, even our improvs are well planned, I'd hate to surprize them and ruin a gig that way!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12