Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Es 339 Gas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Es 339 Gas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Es 339 Gas

I want a Gibson ES 339. I have an EPI Dot and figure when I go for the Semi Hollow body Gibson it will have to be the 339 model. I have read a lot of reviews of this guitar, anyone have an opinion or experience with on pleas chime in.

Post Thanks / Like

Like all Gibson guitars (or all mass produced guitars) you should play a bunch of them before you buy. I really like the 339. The 335 is a surprisingly big guitar. 339s are quite comfortable.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I have one hollow and 2 semi-hollow bodied Gibsons and love 'em all.
    If I was in the market for a new Gibson I'd like to get myself to a shop with a huge inventory and I'd try as many different models as I could get my hands on, not just a 339. But that's just not a possibility around where I live, there are no more Gibson dealers other than a GC, and they never have any of the models I'd be curious about.
    'Hope you find a nice one

Post Thanks / Like

IF THE LOTTERY GOD'S EVER SMILE ON ME
    http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/6...tique-Natural/
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Sheraton, and an ES335. When the 339 first came out I did some research on it and found it to be well received. Most like the fit and finsh and the tone from it. Being smaller than the 335 was a plus.
    The only negatives I heard over and over was the plastic nut, the action was too high from the factory, and that it was in some cases slightly neck heavy, several reviewers thought the tuners were cheap. Also it was mentioned that the rosewood board seemed dry. I think it is the type of rosewood they are using now, it is much lighter in color. They are solidly built and from what I have heard in sound clips can just about duplicate the 335s tone.
    As mentioned by other posters IF possbile I would try out several and see what they feel like. You already know what the full size semi is like with the Dot. They also come in two neck profiles.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

When the 339 came out Guitar Center had it on the front cover of their mail out little fliers quite a few times. So naturally I went over to the GC to check one out. Of course they didn't have one. That was how many years ago now, several anyway. I have been in that store a bunch of times since and I have never seen one. Maybe the larger GC's stock some of the high line Gibson stuff and guitars other than Les Paul models, but not here.
    It's so hard to test drive a Gibson these days. When Gibson advertises their Dealer Days and I look at the list I don't remember there being any in Pennsylvania that host the event.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

My local Ma and Pa had a Vintage burst one on the wall for a long time.
    I wasn't really interested in trying it out. For me it just looks strange with that tiny body and the huge long neck. I know it is a normal neck and it is attached in the same position as the 335s but it does look different.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a 339 a week ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G McBride
    I got a 339 a week ago.

What do think of it so far? Love it? Hate it? (doubtful)
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Been playing this all month and I love it. Best Gibson I own. Very versatile and easy to play. Try one and you will want one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G McBride
    Try one and you will want one.
    Around here that's like bringing Champagne to an A.A. meeting.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful. Enjoy.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I've read about a lot of folks that traded their Les Pauls for the 339. It clearly is able to duplicate a LP like sound and of course a 335 like sound. The 335 has a huge body and when playing while you sit it can get a little uncomfortable. The 339 has no such issue due to the smaller body. Never heard of the head heaviness, in cotrast German Gitarre & Bass magazine wrote about a well balanced instrument. I think the 339 is an awesome guitar, a real allrounder.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Speaking of ES339s

I was seduced by one at the local gas store. Not really looking, but it was a very appealing price, then I played it. Oops. Stock, except that the tuners have been replaced with Grovers. Not neck heavy, nut is not an issue for me. The vintage 57 humbuckers are a little noisier than new ones, but the tone is awesome. This guy sounds like a drug through the Lone Star, clean channel, gain at 2 o'clock. Played at 8, it's like a bell, crank the volume to 10 and it breaks up beautifully. Very nice guitar and a useful addition. Here's some pix. Will post some audio when I get time. Highly recommend the ES339.

http://www.box.net/shared/2d3vsbphhq

http://www.box.net/shared/h3hn5ktvh4
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Around here that's like bringing Champagne to an A.A. meeting.

TRUE VERY TRUE
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Congrats G and Elliott!

cosign 100%
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried the ES339 also and I'm gassing for one too. It's the perfect sized guitar and has a versatile tone. The ones I've tried have all played great and sound great. You can get awesome 335 tones out of them, which is perfect for Blues, Jazz, Funk, Rock, etc. It's a great guitar.

The only thing holding me back, is that I may save up my money and get the guitar that I really want, which is the Gibson JohnyA model. I don't have a Gibson in my collection of guitars and I've always wanted one for those tones.

--Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast