Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Maybe you guys can help with some old guitar info

Thread: Maybe you guys can help with some old guitar info

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maybe you guys can help with some old guitar info

So,i was cleaning out my grandparents attic and came across an old Kay guitar.I don't know much about them.All i know is it is really old,and no one remembers where it even came from.I guess what i was wondering is,is the guitar worth anything,and does anyone know about what year it is.

Post Thanks / Like

It's more of a no-real-value collectors item.

Some people have very high hopes on ebay....Ebay search Kay, under musical instruments....

Basically, the parts are worth as much as the guitar, and that is around $200 on average......

I'd clean it up, possibly find the missing knobs, or replacements from a junker, put it away, and give it to your grandchildren.....
    http://tubeworks.mortality.net - Tube Works / Mosvalve Fan Site

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moander
    I'd clean it up, possibly find the missing knobs, or replacements from a junker, put it away, and give it to your grandchildren.....
    Screw that...set it up and play it! That thing is sweet!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    Screw that...set it up and play it! That thing is sweet!
    DIITO! Kay has been around for a long time. I have heard their name mentioned more then once and seem to remember a lot of country players using them. You may even find you get some interesting tones out of those pups!
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Throw some new strings on it and play it.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

This link might help you if you can find any numbers on the thing. Make sure you check out the related links too.
    http://www.ehow.com/facts_5484263_ka...ification.html

It sounds like the Kay guitar company had a similar run to Danelectro. Which leads me to agree with previous statements - clean that thing up and see how it plays. Those Dano's from that era have amazing tone and if i were you i'd wanna find out how the Kay models sound!

Post Thanks / Like

Try this site. Kay is one of those manufacturers that made both high quality guitars and department store models... so ya never know. That thing has vibe, though. I agree with the statements above... dust that puppy off and see how she growls
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stuggy
    So,i was cleaning out my grandparents attic and came across an old Kay guitar.I don't know much about them.All i know is it is really old,and no one remembers where it even came from.I guess what i was wondering is,is the guitar worth anything,and does anyone know about what year it is.

If you could post the numbers on the pots we can maybe sort out an approximate date if the electronics are American.. but I had a very similar guitar and it was of the post-'69 Asian variety and was of extremely little value (I bought it for ten bucks at a rummage sale)...this was what you'd find in Sears or Monkey Wards in the early 70s as a starter instrument...have fun with it and don't worry about value... age- c. Early 70s.
    Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained as stupidity...

Post Thanks / Like

Kay was sold at one time by J.C.Penny back in the 60's & 70's. It looks to be from around that era. Not much value for their electric.
    Some of their really old acoustics can fetch $400 - $500 or even more depending on condition. As stated before....dust her off,
    fix her up, do a GOOD setup.....and play her!
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

There's really not much setup to be done.Just string height really.It actually plays fairly well after I put on some strings.They came off my Squier Strat I recently bought.I gotta get the neck pup working.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably do well for slide playing.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't that a kinda odd place for the strap knob? On the inside of the cutaway?
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

Default addition

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Hound
    Isn't that a kinda odd place for the strap knob? On the inside of the cutaway?
    Not gonna touch this one it's a gem.I would play the heck out of her too as has been suggested
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Earle G
    Probably do well for slide playing.

I have one of these and use it for slide...........not worth much but she is good at what she does
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel