Thread: Rene Martinez Gives a Tour of John Mayer'sCurrent Rig

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rene Martinez Gives a Tour of John Mayer'sCurrent Rig

Hey Guys

Thought some of you might be interested in this...

Rene Martinez walks us through John's amps, effects and guitars.

Enjoy...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That was pretty cool! I did not know that SRV's former tech was with Mayer. Also, his controls for his pedals have changed. A couple years ago, he had I think at least two big pedal boards with the pedals out on them. Wouldn't mind having that Dumble, or the Two Rock as well. I think I would take the Dumble first though.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that is an intense amount of stuff. I suppose when you're doing it for a living, there's no margin for error and you may as well have the best stuff. It makes my head spin how many guitars he has.

Interesting stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very nice...actually much like my setup with the Cm switcher with those FX pedal combo presest, only way more complicated & more pedals. But I'd also like to have another amp or two to use...one amp just isn't enough. Three heads to a few cabs would be nice ;-)
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Very nice...actually much like my setup with the Cm switcher with those FX pedal combo presest, only way more complicated & more pedals. But I'd also like to have another amp or two to use...one amp just isn't enough. Three heads to a few cabs would be nice ;-)
    Yeah, I was thinking when I saw his controller that it's similar to your switching thing. I don't know much about this, but would his pedal be midi or is it all just straight cable runs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The pedals are obviously hooked up mechanically with cable runs, but I'd venture they're connected to some sort of a patchbay in that rack that is electronically controlled with relays, and that in turn receives information about what loops to turn on from the actual floor controller, which is probably basically a MIDI or similar controller with memory slots. Custom work all the way probably anyway, but also likely can be made by tweaking and combining factory-made stuff.

Neil Young also has a similar hookup thingy that allows mixing and matching his pedals, but I don't recall if his has a memory and several modes...
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.