Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
NPD: Bad Monkey..!

Thread: NPD: Bad Monkey..!

Post Thanks / Like

Default NPD: Bad Monkey..!

Bargain price B.M. on CL... woohoo!
    Quick test shows there is quite a range on 'em knobs, heh?

Seller could have mentioned the battery wires were screwed up, but that's a detail, really.
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool! That was my first pedal. Used for like $25 plus shipping. My connection thing was broken. I soldered a new one on and never looked back.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Default possible damage?

I wasn't paying attention when getting home with BM, and used an AC power block instead of a DC as spec'd - manual calls for PS200R, 9.6V DC, center-negative.
    At least it was a 9V one...

Could just a few minutes under AC power damage the pedal's circuitry?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule
    I wasn't paying attention when getting home with BM, and used an AC power block instead of a DC as spec'd - manual calls for PS200R, 9.6V DC, center-negative.
    At least it was a 9V one...

Could just a few minutes under AC power damage the pedal's circuitry?
    I couldn't find a schematic online, but if Digitech is like many pedal manufacturers, they have a diode connected is series with the DC jack input. Worst case is that the diode will blow and will have to be replaced. The bad news is if you can't do it yourself, it would be fairly expensive to have fixed (especially for a $30 pedal).

Post Thanks / Like

If damage was done, it should be evident pretty much immediately upon playing through the pedal when properly powered. If the pedal has polarity protection in the circuit (and many do, to protect them from their owners ), you should probably be OK....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    If damage was done, it should be evident pretty much immediately upon playing through the pedal when properly powered.
    Quick rough test says it still works!
    I can't really compare it to a known good unit, as I just got this animal, and am pretty much a pedal newbie.
    I had to find some clips to connect to a battery, as the unit's battery connector was ripped off. Pays to pick up some junk at the town dump!
    Last edited by poodlesrule; September 17th, 2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: confusing

Post Thanks / Like

If damage was done, it should be evident pretty much immediately upon playing through the pedal when properly powered. If the pedal has polarity protection in the circuit (and many do, to protect them from their owners ), you should probably be OK....
    Yeah, either it will work or it won't.

It sounds like no damage was done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule
    I had to find some clips to connect to a battery, as the unit's battery connector was ripped off. Pays to pick up some junk at the town dump!
    Is the battery adapter wiring to the board completely gone? You can get a replacement adapter easily enough. You'll pay more for the postage than for the part!

http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/me...egory_Code=ACC

BTW, if you don't already have the correct "wall wart", what you want is a 9VDC adapter with a 2.5mm center-negative plug. I'd recommend one of these:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ter?sku=151686

Plus, you can get a multi-plug cable to run up to 5 pedals off of it:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...&rec=product_A
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Is the battery adapter wiring to the board completely gone?
    No, it just look like if someone cut the red and black wires right at the battery connector.
    I have a good electronic store nearby, and I can solder in a new battery connector pigtail, I think. New soldering iron launch soon (after spouse lets me off from cleaning my office mandate)!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Is the battery adapter wiring to the board completely gone? You can get a replacement adapter easily enough. You'll pay more for the postage than for the part!

http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/me...egory_Code=ACC

BTW, if you don't already have the correct "wall wart", what you want is a 9VDC adapter with a 2.5mm center-negative plug. I'd recommend one of these:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ter?sku=151686

Plus, you can get a multi-plug cable to run up to 5 pedals off of it:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...&rec=product_A
    That is what I use with most of my pedals, including my DVM pedals and my Bad Monkey. Though I replaced the battery holder, and there is a battery in it, I basically never run on batteries.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson