Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
9/15/10: Two New Kits @ BYOC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9/15/10: Two New Kits @ BYOC

Post Thanks / Like

Default 9/15/10: Two New Kits @ BYOC

Keith Vonderhulls at BYOC has introduced two new DIY pedal kits over at Buildyourownclone.com:

Classic Overdrive ($70) - To supplement the feature-laden Overdrive 2, Keith now offers a stripped down, pure vintage TS808 clone. Not everybody wants all the bells and whistles of the OD2, and he had been getting requests for a "back to basics" TS808 kit ever since he pulled the original Overdrive off the market. Well, here it is. Cheaper price and a much simpler build than the OD2. Good choice for DIY novices, and of course, it's based upon the world's most popular overdrive circuit.

Envelope Filter & Fixed Wah ($75) - Freshened version of the previous BYOC kit, with some additional effect control and the popular jacks-at-the-top layout. If you're into funk, a good envelope filter (also known as an "auto-wah") is a must-have effect. Switch from the auto mode into manual, and you've got the distinctive sound of a "parked" wah pedal.

Check 'em out. And if you like what you see but don't feel like making one yourself.....well, you know who to contact!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool, thanks for the head's up.

That stripped down TS-808 looks like a real winner for those who like simplicity in a pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Keith Vonderhulls at BYOC has introduced two new DIY pedal kits over at Buildyourownclone.com:

Classic Overdrive ($70) - To supplement the feature-laden Overdrive 2, Keith now offers a stripped down, pure vintage TS808 clone. Not everybody wants all the bells and whistles of the OD2, and he had been getting requests for a "back to basics" TS808 kit ever since he pulled the original Overdrive off the market. Well, here it is. Cheaper price and a much simpler build than the OD2. Good choice for DIY novices, and of course, it's based upon the world's most popular overdrive circuit.

Envelope Filter & Fixed Wah ($75) - Freshened version of the previous BYOC kit, with some additional effect control and the popular jacks-at-the-top layout. If you're into funk, a good envelope filter (also known as an "auto-wah") is a must-have effect. Switch from the auto mode into manual, and you've got the distinctive sound of a "parked" wah pedal.

Check 'em out. And if you like what you see but don't feel like making one yourself.....well, you know who to contact!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    Very cool, thanks for the head's up.

That stripped down TS-808 looks like a real winner for those who like simplicity in a pedal.
    Agreed. I'm not going to give up my Thesis 96/OD2, but who doesn't want an affordable TS-808?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Agreed. I'm not going to give up my Thesis 96/OD2, but who doesn't want an affordable TS-808?
    Ibanez sells the TS808 Reissue for $180. If you can follow directions and solder decently, you can have the SAME CIRCUIT for $70. And it'll be handwired. I should point out that Ibanez also sells a hand-wired version of the TS-808. That one will run you $350! (What kind of head case pays $350 for a Tube Screamer??)

<< BTW, if you don't want to undertake building one yourself, the ol' Voodooman can make you one (assembled, tested, painted & decaled) for $125! (Limited time "introductory offer" for Fretters only!) Only problem is that my order backlog is out to Feb. at the moment.... >>
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; October 19th, 2010 at 03:41 PM.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey DVM do you make Bass pedals?
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. DVM. I have the EV filter on the way
    Gibson ES 345 TDC
    Gibson ES 225
    Gibson ES 175
    Gibson ES 295
    Gibson ES 350
    Gibson SG
    Fender P Bass 70s
    Fender American Strat Delux
    Fender American Tele
    Alverez Yairi Ani DeFranco
    Fender Twin 65
    Fender Twin 72
    Fender Bassman 70
    Roland JC 120
    Marshall JVM 410 H
    Vintage 30 Stack

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you! You're gonna like it, I'm quite certain. As a global moderator on the BYOC forums, I'm fortunate to receive sample kits for all the new releases. The new Classic OD and Envelope Filter kits were waiting for me when I got home last night. Both are simple builds--the new kit layout introduced in early '09 with the jacks at the top and all the footswitch connections on the PCB are a big part of that. But both kits are relatively uncomplicated, too. In any case, I knocked them both off in no time.

The Classic OD sounds great--just pure TS808 character, as it purports to be. Excellent clarity & note definition, no muddiness at all. Level, drive and tone controls--what could be simpler? The only change I made to the stock configuration was to use a smaller rated pot (5K) for the tone control, to reduce the size of the dead band in the middle of the stock pot sweep. (Keith puts a 25K pot in all the TS808-based kits because it's the closest size a standard pot comes to the the 20K that Ibanez puts in the TS808. But that pot has a special taper, which greatly reduces the dead band. The 25K still gives the same range of tone control, it's just concentrated at either end of the sweep range.)

The Envelope Filter sounds fantastic. I have the older version, too, and this new one allows a greater breadth of control over the sweep speed and the sensitivity. If you've never played through an EF, they're a lot of fun because of how interactive they are. Short of effects that have a foot pedal, you have more control over the response of an EF with your playing than almost any other effect. Sounds great either clean or with distortion.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

hey DVM just wanted you to know, your ross compressor build for me is a mainstay on my board..it is the most quiet and usefull comp I have ever played.
    I can't do without it !

I painted it but have not applied decals so I call it the od green mystery-box of sweet sustainy goodness.

I'm very happy with the workmanship and price

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

[
    The Classic OD sounds great--just pure TS808 character, as it purports to be. Excellent clarity & note definition, no muddiness at all. Level, drive and tone controls--what could be simpler? The only change I made to the stock configuration was to use a smaller rated pot (5K) for the tone control, to reduce the size of the dead band in the middle of the stock pot sweep. (Keith puts a 25K pot in all the TS808-based kits because it's the closest size a standard pot comes to the the 20K that Ibanez puts in the TS808. But that pot has a special taper, which greatly reduces the dead band. The 25K still gives the same range of tone control, it's just concentrated at either end of the sweep range.)

You just talked me into getting the overdrive
    Gibson ES 345 TDC
    Gibson ES 225
    Gibson ES 175
    Gibson ES 295
    Gibson ES 350
    Gibson SG
    Fender P Bass 70s
    Fender American Tele
    Fender Twin 65
    Fender Twin 72
    Fender Bassman 70
    Roland JC 120
    Marshall JVM 410 H
    Vintage 30 Stack

Post Thanks / Like

What's a couple of new pedal kits without some PICS?? Here's an external shot of the new BYOC Envelope Filter and Classic Overdrive, to show the layout of the controls, and then a "gut shot" of the two. The Envelop Filter is on th eleft in both shots:

Closeups of the two PCB's--Filter on the left and Classic OD on the right. The PCB for the Classic OD is also for sale separately, so it's fabricated with two holes for nylon standoff mounting, if needed:

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK
    Hey DVM do you make Bass pedals?
    I've done a couple. There are certain kits that have well-known "mods" to make them more suitable for bass guitar. Shoot me a PM if you have something particular in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    hey DVM just wanted you to know, your ross compressor build for me is a mainstay on my board..it is the most quiet and usefull comp I have ever played. I can't do without it !

I painted it but have not applied decals so I call it the od green mystery-box of sweet sustainy goodness.

I'm very happy with the workmanship and price

thanks
    Glad to hear you've been pleased with it! That "5-knob" compressor design certainly offers a lot more control flexibility than most do. I've never been a big compressor user myself, but I know a lot of guitarists--especially country players--would never be w/o one. And that's sure "compressor country" down where you are!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. DVM Thanks for theos gut shots. They are very helpful, especially when you do something wrong.
    Gibson ES 345 TDC
    Gibson ES 225
    Gibson ES 175
    Gibson ES 295
    Gibson ES 350
    Gibson SG
    Fender P Bass 70s
    Fender American Tele
    Fender Twin 65
    Fender Twin 72
    Fender Bassman 70
    Roland JC 120
    Marshall JVM 410 H
    Vintage 30 Stack

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Vood, questions for you experienced builders...
    I've never picked up a soldering iron, but always wanted to do a couple DIY pedals... and eventually an amp that's not too complicated.

1. Would the classic OD kit be good for a very first project?
    2. What soldering equipment would you recommend for a beginner?

Thanks man

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Voodoo. I have that EV filter on my rack. ans it's gonna stay there.

Real nice FX
    Gibson ES 345 TDC
    Gibson ES 225
    Gibson ES 175
    Gibson ES 295
    Gibson ES 350
    Gibson SG
    Fender P Bass 70s
    Fender American Tele
    Fender Twin 65
    Fender Twin 72
    Fender Bassman 70
    Roland JC 120
    Marshall JVM 410 H
    Vintage 30 Stack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Radioboy950
    Hey Vood, questions for you experienced builders...
    I've never picked up a soldering iron, but always wanted to do a couple DIY pedals... and eventually an amp that's not too complicated.

1. Would the classic OD kit be good for a very first project?
    2. What soldering equipment would you recommend for a beginner?

Thanks man
    If you've never soldered before, I don't recommend learning on an effect pedal that you paid $70 for. Poor soldering technique is BY FAR the biggest reason we see for non-working pedal builds on the BYOC forums.

BYOC sells a "Confidence Booster" kit for $15 that's a good alternative for the novice, but you can get away even more cheaply than that. Go to your local Radio Shack and get a piece of perfboard and a 50-pack of 1N914 diodes--total outlay $5 plus tax. You can practice soldering diodes to the perfboard to your heart's content.

They also carry this Weller soldering iron, which is a good size for pedal work. For solder, I strongly recommend 0.032" rosin-core 60/40 tin-lead solder. Stay away from the lead-free stuff--it is much harder to work with.

An excellent resource on pedal building basics, including proper soldering technique, is Stephen's Tips for a Successful Build, posted on the BYOC forum site. Stephen is a fellow global forum moderator there, and has done an outstanding job with this tutorial document.

Once you feel ready to tackle a pedal kit, the new Classic Overdrive would indeed be a good choice. Others include the ESV Fuzz (Fuzz Face clone kit with premium components) or the 250+ kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal
    Dr. Voodoo. I have that EV filter on my rack. ans it's gonna stay there.

Real nice FX
    Cool! Glad to hear ya like it, Neal.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished the clasic overdrive, and it is a real niice pedal. It is as good, or better, than anything that I have played with.
    Gibson ES 345 TDC
    Gibson ES 225
    Gibson ES 175
    Gibson ES 295
    Gibson ES 350
    Gibson SG
    Fender P Bass 70s
    Fender American Tele
    Fender Twin 65
    Fender Twin 72
    Fender Bassman 70
    Roland JC 120
    Marshall JVM 410 H
    Vintage 30 Stack

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got the finishing done on these two. Photo:

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

"Auto-eWAHtica" Love it!!!! Could be your best naming effort yet!

Thanks, as always, for keeping us appraised of, and gas'n for, the latest and greatest from BYOC land

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep, very clever name! Those turned out nice, DVM!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast