Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions about amps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinions about amps

I'm considering a new amp after some thought about my sound. I've been playing through a Roland Cube 60 at some of my smaller gigs. I also have a Vox Valvetronix amp that I use when I need more volume. I'm kind of missing the fuller tube-amp sound, but not sure what to get.

There seem to be so many options these days and it's hard to nail down what is the best option for me. Here's my main criteria:

- needs to be very versatile
    - have a good "loud clean sound" when I need it
    - needs to have good lead and/or crunch sounds of it's own
    - reverb & effects loop
    - compact and easy to cart around
    - reliable, or as reliable as I can get for a tube amp

I don't need an amp that does metal (I don't play these sounds anymore, and my ears couldn't take it anyway). But I do alot of clean stuff (surf music, Jazz, country, pop, etc), and crunchy sounds for blues solos, rock-a-billy, and classic rock tones.

There seem to be different opinions out there. Some people are reccomending to get a Fender clean amp and then just use floor pedals for all of my other tones. Although this is one option, I'm afraid that not give me all the authentic sounds that I want.

Other people are reccomending that I get some kind of boutique amp that costs mega bucks (such as a Fuchs, Carr, or something like this that costs $3k) It would be cool to have a super nice amp like this, but there are so many other choices at a lower price point, that I think I can find something much cheaper that will still sound great, and provide inspiring sounds.

There are a few lower-cost amps I've seen lately that look really good. Here are some that I'm thinking of:

- Line 6 SpiderValve Mark II (this one is plenty flexible and all tube, just wondering if it will sound as good as some of the other options). I've tried the amp and it does sound good. Just not sure how it would sound compared to the others.
    - Egnater Rebel 30 (the online videos of this one sound great. However, I'm wondering if the clean channel has enough headroom to stay clean at higher volumes or if it will break up too much as I bring the volume up
    - Fender Hod Rod Deluxe (this will win in the loud/clean sounds. However, I'm wondering if it will deliver enough of the other sounds to still kick, or will I need to rely on pedals to get most of the sounds I need outside of the clean tones.
    - Mesa Boogie TransAtlantic (this amp sounds killer and it's extremely compact. However there's no reverb and no effects loop. I don't know how I could patch in effects pre and post preamp like you would with an amp that has an effects loop)

Maybe I should look at some of the other Mesa Boogie amps? I checked out the Express 5:50. The clean sound was great but I didn't care for the lead sound on it. Maybe I just didn't have it dialed in or something.

Too many options :-)
    If any of you have any suggestions about these amps or any other models I should consider, any reccomendations would be welcome.

--Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought of the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with a booster pedal in front? There are some prety transparent booster pedals out there. That way, you are not using the pedal to change your sound, just slamming the amp a little harder to get more crunch.
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the new Gigmaster by Engl : http://www.engl-amps.com/index2.html

All the features you're looking for, + lots more, and under a grand for either the head or as a combo.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm afraid there are no real possibilities to suggest a particular amp, as it's so much dependant on the kind of sound you want.

Most amps are described as 'marshall style' or 'fender style' or these days 'modern style'.

These translate, IMO, to marshally meaning a rock machine with punchy mids, very convincing natural overdrive, fendery meaning bluesy sounding amps with more bottom and high end, more shimmering cleans, but OD/lead sounds tend to be less focused and more bluesy crunch, and modern meaning amps that stay focused with extreme distortion.

Then again the needed volume etc. is a factor. So it's hard to recommend an amph :-)

BUT what I'd suggest is a 100W tube marshall, a JVM if you can afford it.

The reasons: They do fendery cleans too when tweaked heavily, and have the power and the headroom needed. They also do both classic and modern sounds with ease, and all with 8 presets and 4 channels etc.

If I were to get an amp to do it all and more and be somewhat portable, it'd be JVM 2x12" combo.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Although I haven't tried one, I have read several reviews of the new Fender Super Sonic 22 that say it's a very versatile amp

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jim,

I remember you asking about tube amps before. I guess you didn't settle on anything yet, huh?

The main question I had when I read your post was what sort of volume you would need, and whether you would be micing this amp if more volume is needed. It seems to me that clean tones at high volumes (i.e. if the amp is the only source of your sound for a gig) would be the tough parts to meet. Tubes amps don't seem to be kings of clean headroom in my experience.

Not having tried a wide range of tube amps, I'm not sure I can be of much use, but I suppose I'm just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Most tube amps are built to clip, i.e. have less headroom, because that's the coveted 'tube' sound, basically.

BUT a powerful tube amp certainly has the headroom or more of the equivalent wattage SS amph. Sub-50W toob amphs are usually meant to get that tube compression/OD at reasonable/band volumes, 50W amphs are a good choice for plenty of headroom and still possible to get power tube crunch at loud levels, and 100W amps...well they do have plenty of headroom.

There are however tube amps with insane headroom too, like the Ampeg VT-22 I used to have...120W and CRAZY loud without a hint of OD...
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim.....if you're running the amp into a cab, then the Egnater Tweaker would be great to have. Fabulous reviews. DUFFY here on the Forum has one and runs it through a SoCal 4x12.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

The Spider Valve MkII wins the most versatile amp award, in my book. Very good sounds and powerful too. Almost too loud for practice, but a great gigging amph.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with PBP. I haven't tried a Tweaker yet, but the specs sound like it would be right up your street. Having said that, "loud clean" pretty much screams Fender.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

The Egnater Tweaker is reputed to do excellent cleans with good headroom.

Post Thanks / Like

If you go up to a grand in price(sweetwater), maybe the Fender Super Sonic with 6v6's? Probably more versatile than the Hot Rod and still Fender. All the fender cleans plus some hair on it. watch some youtubes. I heard a guy play one live, no pedals and was amazed (im easily amazed).. everything was there in the little all tube box. Now, if i only had a grand long enough to buy one..sigh.

Justa tossing opinions.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

BASED on your requirements

Fender Deluxe VM
    Light weight, sounds damn good clean 40 watts, nice crunch, also has built in
    reverb, chorus and delay. If I had not gotten a deal on my DeVille 410 this was the amp I was going to buy.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...Amp?sku=580898

Bogner Alchemist Series 112 40W

Great amp my friend has this amp in the 2x12 version it just does everything right. Meaning its spot no matter how he sets it up with his Tele, STRAT, PRS, or Charvel.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...Amp?sku=483407
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Maxifunk,

Thanks for the reccomendation on the Bogner Alchemist. One of my other friends has one of these and loves it.

I really need to go and test drive a number of these to see how they will work for what I want.

Thanks again to everyone for all the reccomendations.

--Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Bogner Alchemist 112 owner here.

Lots of tone shapings and sweet sounds. Has a 20 watt variac mode you'll just love.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman
    Bogner Alchemist 112 owner here.

Lots of tone shapings and sweet sounds. Has a 20 watt variac mode you'll just love.

Such a great amp also a very under rated amp. I'm full of ENVY good for you Kiteman lucky stiff!!!!!
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Quick question: How is the Alchemist different than the Spider Valve????

I honestly don't know -- not trying to stir up any poopoo here.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    Quick question: How is the Alchemist different than the Spider Valve????

I honestly don't know -- not trying to stir up any poopoo here.
    They're both made by Line6 and I think both designed by Mr. Bogner so I don't know what would be the difference.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

You hit the nail on the head with your own answer, Get a Fender amp and a few pedals, The best Fender amp for killer clean and takes pedals well is a Twin, silverface or otherwise, 100 watts killer tone.
    May all your days be memorable, all your friends stay true and all your riffs be killer....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast