Thread: Problem learning lead techniques,dunno where to begin

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Problem learning lead techniques,dunno where to begin

Hi,
    im a 17 yr old from india,new delhi and got my first guitar this jan. since den i've been practicing and working real hard.
    Last summer some college guys called up an auditions for a rythm guitarist in der band called infinity radium and i tried out too,and they chose me!!! they're all like 24-23 and im d youngest. the lead guitarist says im an excellent rythm player and even better than him when it comes to it and some of the other guys who tried out had experience like 6-7 yrs!!! hes now asked me to get into some leading stuff so i can fill in for him for some songs,bt i dont seem to get d hang of it. dunno wat songs to cover and where to begin.
    always end up losing patience and giving up.
    help me out on dis one please!!! i know there r a hell lot of cool guys in here who began just lyk me.
    thnx

Post Thanks / Like

Well Howdy!I think it might help a little if we find out what style of music your playing.Welcome to the Fret.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

well its mostly slash,bt im a huge satch and buckethead fan. and some blues,i think beatles like

Post Thanks / Like

Hey prophetze

How have you been approaching the lead stuff?

I would suggest doing the following:
    • Learn some fundamental scales, like the major/minor pentatonic scales.

• Practice some essential techniques - vibrato, bending, hammer-on/pull-offs, etc

• Learn some simple but effective licks - 2,3,4 note licks can actually sound really cool and become building blocks for more complicated licks.

I would also suggest that you try to become aware of the chords you are
    soloing over and to bear these in mind when choosing what notes to play.

Hope this helps,
    Fretz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prophetzer000
    Hi,
    im a 17 yr old from india,new delhi and got my first guitar this jan. since den i've been practicing and working real hard.
    Last summer some college guys called up an auditions for a rythm guitarist in der band called infinity radium and i tried out too,and they chose me!!! they're all like 24-23 and im d youngest. the lead guitarist says im an excellent rythm player and even better than him when it comes to it and some of the other guys who tried out had experience like 6-7 yrs!!! hes now asked me to get into some leading stuff so i can fill in for him for some songs,bt i dont seem to get d hang of it. dunno wat songs to cover and where to begin.
    always end up losing patience and giving up.
    help me out on dis one please!!! i know there r a hell lot of cool guys in here who began just lyk me.
    thnx
    What are your resources? Are you able to pay for lessons, or are you able to buy books etc.

GA

Post Thanks / Like

lessons seem nice.nt buks though,high skul keepin me on m toes already. hope sum1 helps out in tym,next show v hav is slated on 17th of october!!! SOS!

Post Thanks / Like

The pentatonic is always a great place to start. That def opened things up for me when I was around your age.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is oversimplified, but at your level (and mine)...

Know where the pentatonic roots are.

Know what key the song is in.

Try to tie in your lead run with the chord change (hit a C when your rhythm player hits a C).

So if you are playing lead to GNR Knockin' on Heaven's Door, you only need to know where a few G, C, and Ds are on your fretboard.

Wank around.

Post Thanks / Like

If your looking for stuff to cover while trying to figure it out. Id suggest with Knocking on Heavens Door, it appears as one of the easier more straight forward of Slash's leads. Penatonic is the place to start, but I want to ask this. Are you a Slash fan yourself or just playing it because your in the band? I ask this because sometimes you can start to peice together what someone does by how he got their. Look at SRV, you can see the influence Albert King and Hendrix had on him. So if your struggling to find that Slash feel or vibe, try looking at some Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, and the Stones. Those where some of his biggest influences and rember he's always had this bluesy tone to him so another place to look is say at Roberts site Dolphin Street. Maybe after watching a few of his videos something will click. And DAMN Ur lucky Id give my left nut to find a group of guys that was interested in playing some of Slash's stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

....and not to crush your enthusiasm, but it's probably fair to say that to play buckethead covers is going to take -years- of practice. That guy is a freak.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

thnks u ol guys fr stopping by....
    well yeah,bucketheads a freak,bt really inspirational...
    i got myself a guitar book about pentatonics,just a run thru that...well the band bought me a jem jr. yesterday!!!! didnt had d faintest ideas monkey grip was so much fun!!! funny though,it has d same edge III tremolo as my gio!
    and now i lukd up some steve vai,man how do u do dat thing in bad horsie? wat u call it?

Post Thanks / Like

oh man!! dis guys gotta iceman!!!!!