Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Woo-hoo, Boo!

Thread: Woo-hoo, Boo!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Woo-hoo, Boo!

Just got an offer to have any of my bands play at something called "Boo-Fest," an annual weekend-long Bacchanalia, where local bands play for free, in return for free camping, and getting fed and beer'd all weekend!

I would gladly do this every year. I've played it in 2005 and 2007. The party's roots actually go back to the late '70's.

It's usually FINALLY gotten cooler by the post-Halloween date it falls on, so the camping is fun. And running around with a "band" laminate (in true Boo fashion, the laminates actually say "banned" on them) is always bosstastic, plus it's done as a continuation of Halloween (it most often is held the weekend after Halloween), so everyone is in a festive mood and often people are in costume. The free camping is worth a couple tenners alone (the weekend charge for non-band/VIP/organizers is $20), plus the band food is good and the beer is cold. Obviously, regular campers need to bring their own food and drink.

Here's this year's flier:

The "RPP" reference on the Tweedles is to "Reality Prevention Patrol," a longstanding Boo tradition, as is the Greek-letter "fraternity" sigma phi null, Boofest-speak for "signifying nothing."

Here's the property, referred to as "Port Green," because it's owned by the family of a local musician (whom I've know for at least 20 years), Rich Groene:

Here's my side band the Hotheads playing in 2005:

Here's Jack, El Krashpadito, wearing my old leather, 2007:

Here's us:

Hotheads again (different lineup) in '07:

Man, I can hardly wait!

If anyone is within driving distance of North Florida, I would highly recommend this for a great cheap camping "stay-cation."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Man, sounds good! If anybody would ever offer such for my band, it'd be awesome...but usually they only give a couple of cases of beer and a bottle or two of whisky...all weekend free beer, man, that'd cost them dearly ;-)
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Man, sounds good! If anybody would ever offer such for my band, it'd be awesome...but usually they only give a couple of cases of beer and a bottle or two of whisky...all weekend free beer, man, that'd cost them dearly ;-)
    Haha, I know what you mean. Beer is pretty much my remaining vice, and I've been trying to get better about it, but frankly business concerns and the economy have not been helping of late. The good thing about a weekend festival like this is, if you get inebriated, you can stay onsite, and don't endanger anyone but yourself. As opposed to the typical bar situation, which in most places in the US means having to drive home, which is not a good idea, and obviously potentially endangers others.

So long as I don't fall in the canal or the lake, and avoid the 'gators, I should be OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I remember your report and pics from '07. Sounded like fun then, and I bet will be fun now! Have good, safe fun!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like fun. I love camping, I love fall, I love beer, and I love music. Pretty much a match made in heaven.

So which band are you bringing? H&H?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner