Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Call me crazy but I downsided on wattage.

Post Thanks / Like

As a bass player I applaud the move to lower wattage amps for guitarists!

I can't stand to play with a guitarist using and 50 or 100 watter and then cranking it to earbleeding to get "his tone". Nobody ever wins a volume war.

If I go into an audition and the guitarist has a full-stack, I'll turn right around and leave. (Guess what, if you're playing that loud, you don't need a bass player!)

I think micing a low wattage tube amph is the way to go. For bass, I'd run a DI from my head to FOH and keep stage volume down as much as practical.

And then, as a guitarist, I love hearing tube crunch at less-than-punishing volumes. These low-watters are a godsend to tone.

PS - Congratulations on the new amph Redgibson!
    Last edited by NWBasser; September 23rd, 2010 at 02:20 PM. Reason: addition

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    So...to my question, you just yell at the drummer until they play softer? That seems to work OK with the two drummers I play with -- if everyone else is trying to work together, it makes the drummer look like a retard if they continue to play super-loud. Is that what you're getting at?
    There are two categories into which all drummers fall: loud, and good. However, they are not mutually exclusive. A good drummer might be loud, but they have the sense and ability to reign in the volume to a point where they can blend with a band. A loud drummer, though they might have chops, lacks the ability to listen to other members of the band. I'll take a solid drummer who listens over a loud drummer with a lot of technique any day of the week.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

sold my last "big amp" last year, a first issue 5150 combo, 60 watts and blisteringly loud at 9 oclock !...not to mention it weighs 80 lbs and did not have a great clean sound at all.. tho thats not what it was designed for anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser
    As a bass player I applaud the move to lower wattage amps for guitarists!

I can't stand to play with a guitarist using and 50 or 100 watter and then cranking it to earbleeding to get "his tone". Nobody ever wins a volume war.

If I go into an audition and the guitarist has a full-stack, I'll turn right around and leave. (Guess what, if you're playing that loud, you don't need a bass player!)

I think micing a low wattage tube amph is the way to go. For bass, I'd run a DI from my head to FOH and keep stage volume down as much as practical.

And then, as a guitarist, I love hearing tube crunch at less-than-punishing volumes. These low-watters are a godsend to tone.

PS - Congratulations on the new amph Redgibson!

Hahaha thats awesome. Have you actually ever been like "fullstack? !#%#@%" *180* + Walk? I'll keep this in mind.

The new amp is superb. I played a house party with my brother. He's one of these drummer types, why are drummers always crazy?? ;-) Anyway, it was plenty loud. Haven't had a volume-problem scenario yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redgibson
    He's one of these drummer types, why are drummers always crazy?? ;-)

I believe it's a genetic predisposition toward pounding that leads drummers to 1) act crazy, and 2) have a tendency to be really loud.

Congrats on the downsizing. Even my old Crate was just too durn big, and even though it was solid state, at 120 watts it was way to freaking loud to play past 3 or 4 on the volume knob, even when playing out somewhere.

Had to do the most delicate balancing act on that knob to get it to a reasonable practice volume. One wrong nudge, and BLAM! Instant ear splitter.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redgibson
    Hahaha thats awesome. Have you actually ever been like "fullstack? !#%#@%" *180* + Walk? I'll keep this in mind.

The new amp is superb. I played a house party with my brother. He's one of these drummer types, why are drummers always crazy?? ;-) Anyway, it was plenty loud. Haven't had a volume-problem scenario yet.
    Yeah, I lost a previous job earlier this year and thought I'd join another band to pass the time and hopefully make a few bucks. I answered a CL ad for a bass player and showed up at the audition with my Genz shuttle and 2x10 cab. I could hear the lead guitarist warming up as I was approaching in my car. When I walked in and saw a Mesa full-stack in a tiny 10x10 rehearsal room, I did say something to the effect of "screw this, you guys don't really need or want a bassist" and left. It didn't help that this character had the anti-bass EQ going, i.e. cranked bottom end.

Hint to guitarists: work with the bass player on EQ'ing to get a good overall band sound rather than focussing on individual tone. IMO collaboration in this area is the best approach.

As a side note, it seems my 20-watt H&K will stand up quite well to a drummer.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd bet that if we did a survey about the size amp each of us actually need for the type of playing/situation we're in most often, that the 15-22 watt range would be ideal for most of us. Of course I'm speaking of tube amps in this wattage range.

Amps in this range are pretty loud for the most part, and as it's been said many times, if you need louder, mic it through the PA.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    I'd bet that if we did a survey about the size amp each of us actually need for the type of playing/situation we're in most often, that the 15-22 watt range would be ideal for most of us. Of course I'm speaking of tube amps in this wattage range.

Amps in this range are pretty loud for the most part, and as it's been said many times, if you need louder, mic it through the PA.
    So...what would a comparable SS be, wattage-wise?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Not that I know the math or anything, but I would estimate about 60-65 watts solid state for an unmiked gig at a small venue.

I used to have a Crate 65 watter that did fine without a mike at a gig once.

I played through a Fender 25 watt Frontman at an open mike night and was barely able to be heard... that little sucker was completely cranked.

On the same note, Robert, have you played your Valvetronix at a gig or two? How did it hold up?
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    Not that I know the math or anything, but I would estimate about 60-65 watts solid state for an unmiked gig at a small venue.

I used to have a Crate 65 watter that did fine without a mike at a gig once.

I played through a Fender 25 watt Frontman at an open mike night and was barely able to be heard... that little sucker was completely cranked.

On the same note, Robert, have you played your Valvetronix at a gig or two? How did it hold up?
    That makes sense. So I guess a multiplier of somewhere around 3-4?
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I would say a 5 watt tube will match a 15 watt SS and I've read somewhere it's 2.5 to 1.

Really, watts is watts and tube vs SS is really the same but tubes sounds louder because the way tubes reproduce sound as compared to SS.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that it's a combination of compression, the fact that the distorted range is usable with tubes (as opposed to square-waving on SS), and a couple of other factors that I can't remember, but yeah...tubes are definitely louder for the same rating.

Thanks for the info.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Too loud drummer

Sometimes it isn't that easy to get a drummer to play softer. Some of them only know one way of playing: slamming, loud slamming.

Getting them to lower their volume is like trying to get your dog to bark less loudly. It's instinct.

A lot of drummers are not dynamic enough to be able to adapt to the appropriate volume needed for a particular setting. This messes them all up and throws their tone way off.

Right now I'm looking for a more mellow ride cymbal for my drums. I currently have a very nice Zildjan "A" medium, but it "clangs" which is great for playing in bands, but for at home it does not have much dynamizm. I like a low pitched, sustaining tone for playing alone at home; like the Zildjan "Heavy ride" "K" that I played today. Even though it is heavy it has a beautiful sustaining and complex deep tone, even when striking softly, not a super bright clanging sound like my "A"; plus, it has a very beautiful and musical bell tone. Maybe for Christmas, 290 without tax for the twenty inch one, but a great "K" tone. Then I'll use my "A" as a crash.

I also use Remo pin-stripes as my heads. I just put all new ebony pin-stripes on my rig, along with that really great Aquarian bass head that has the damping ring built into rim adaptor. This bass drum sounds really great. I like the "thuddy" drum tone, rather than the bright ringing heads. I can really play into them dual layer heads and that bass head and get a great tone without a lot of super loud ringing, and to me they just sound better for rock and blues; very demure and full. No need for dead ringers. I also use two snares, set up one behind the other, with the piccolo toward the front, behind my chrome fourteen by six inch snare with that great Remo powerstroke head on it, another deep sounding head that contrasts to the "pop" of the piccolo with rosewood, thirteen inch snare. I really like this set up with the two distinct snare tones to roll off onto or combine.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quite true Duffy. Also, sometimes too much dynamics can be a problem in a rock band, especially when recording. I go to great lenghts to remove any extra dynamics usually from the drumming :-)

Sometimes I've used quite a lot of duct tape on the skins to quiet them up, also cymbals...but it's been due to the drummer always exceeding 115db with every single hit, and this from way in front of the drums too...no other way.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dynamics

Deeaa, I too have resorted to using a lot of unsightly duct tape and foam, sticky on one side, window insulation on my drum heads.

I have found the current pin-stripe heads and the snare head and Aquarian muffled bass head, work really great to produce a nice warm thuddy tone, without the unsightly looking strips of duct tape, etc.

I have yet to try to record my drums but want to do so with my JamMan, along with some backing tracks; otherwise I'm going to resort to recording my Conga drums for an interesting beat.

I'm also considering a rivited ride cymbal to add some sizzle. I played a couple very nice Zildjans today that were rivited rides.

You might want to consider using a conga drum or a set in your recording. I have a pro set of three; 12", 11.75", and 9". These sound really good and a cymbal could be easily thrown in and played by hand. Hey, sometimes John Bonam would play his regular drum rig with just his hands during his solo's.

There's a way to quiet a drummer down, take his sticks away or have him play with brushes or mallets. LOL.

Unless you have enough influence in the band I don't think you are going to be able to get a slamming drummer or super loud, full stack guitar player to quiet down; as ego's sometimes run high in these type people, no insult intended. I like to play super loud sometimes myself, and was, in fact, playing my Schecter C-1 E/A and my Agile very loud this evening, with lots of overdrive. I don't usually hammer my drums excessively hard though, and never play slammingly head breaking.

After all, it oftentimes is Rock 'n Roll that we play and that has a certain inherent increasingly loud element to it that makes it fun and characteristically "gone too far". That's a big part of the fun, studio work, in some cases, aside.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Post Thanks / Like

So...what would a comparable SS be, wattage-wise?
    A general concensus would be that it would take a 20-30 watt SS amp to equal the perceived loudness of a 5-watt tube amp.

A lot of the difference is in how the human ear perceives the loudness, but some is also in how SS is rated compared to the way tube wattage was originally (and still is) rated. Here's a really good explanation from an audiophile on a hi-fi site:

What you are talking about is "soft clipping" of tube gear. At high signal level a tube amp works like a compressor. THD increases, but you still get more power out of it. Solid state just reaches the ceiling and this is it. Guitar amps are actually designed to do compression much more than regular power amps. That is a nature of a game. So if you want to have equivalent of 5 watts tube guitar amp, you need 20-30 watts solid state one plus outboard compressor.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. Interesting stuff. So I guess I'm pretty much right in there between 10-20 tube watts with my 60w SS amp.

That is to say...I agree! Downsizing is great!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. Interesting stuff. So I guess I'm pretty much right in there between 10-20 tube watts with my 60w SS amp.

That is to say...I agree! Downsizing is great!
    Yeah, and the big benefit is that nice, warm, organic sound you can get at reasonable volumes. From the edge of distortion to full blown distortion without the neighbors calling the cops....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Small tube amp

Right.

With a small tube amp you can crank up the volume and get great tube overdrive without it being ultra loud.

Jim P modified my Blackheart Little Giant head with a variable voltage regulator (VVR) that works something like an attenuator. It is a knob he put on the back that connects to a circuit that allows me to turn down the voltage to the power tube and then turn up the volume knob on the front of the amp and get a resultant very tube saturated overdrive at very low volumes.

This VVR Jim P put in the amp is really nice. You wouldn't believe how quiet I can set the amp and get totally satisfying thick overdrive sounds. I don't turn it down too low, of course. You have to have some decent volume to be able to appreciate rock and roll.

You can also crank the VVR the other way and turn up the amp's regular volume and get some real LOUD heavily saturated overdrive that is again very satisfying. I think the new transformer helps produce a more rounded and full sound in this 5/3 watt amp. This little thing can get LOUD.

I have it by my Tweaker that is 15 watts and I should crank them up, within prudent reasonableness, and see how they stack up to each other loudness wise.

But both amps produce superior tones at low volume.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12