Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy but I downsided on wattage.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Call me crazy but I downsided on wattage.

I traded my 40watt Hot Rod Deluxe for a Vox AC15, but I've been very pleased with the results. Practice with the band, and I was still able to be plenty loud with room to spare on the volume dials... (I guess it matters how "clean" you want to be) but I really can't believe people saying you can't gig with one of these. We're not playing anything gigantic, and I can always mic and throw it through the PA...

Another plus is I think I can definitely get the tubes to their sweet spot without blowing people's faces off. When I find the 15 isn't doing it for the small gigs I imagine I'll report back but It's doing great so far. I guess when i reach that point I'll have to shoot for an ac30. Currently, very pleased with my choice and the tones it has been creating :-) Anyone else have a similar "downsize" experience?

(why not pancakes? is that another smily face he's cooking???)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redgibson
    I traded my 40watt Hot Rod Deluxe for a Vox AC15, but I've been very pleased with the results. Practice with the band, and I was still able to be plenty loud with room to spare on the volume dials... (I guess it matters how "clean" you want to be) but I really can't believe people saying you can't gig with one of these. We're not playing anything gigantic, and I can always mic and throw it through the PA...

Another plus is I think I can definitely get the tubes to their sweet spot without blowing people's faces off. When I find the 15 isn't doing it for the small gigs I imagine I'll report back but It's doing great so far. I guess when i reach that point I'll have to shoot for an ac30. Currently, very pleased with my choice and the tones it has been creating :-) Anyone else have a similar "downsize" experience?

(why not pancakes? is that another smily face he's cooking???)

Yep, sure did. Went from 40W to 15W. Best decision ever! Amp is plenty loud and as you said it's much easier to get that sweet spot!!

Post Thanks / Like

I regularly gig with a 20 watt Soldano.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub
    I regularly gig with a 20 watt Soldano.
    A Soldano? Any good for the Clapton tones?
    ...really liked his sound when he was using those amps!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been playing 15 watt amps since I got my first Gibson Goldtone in the mid 90's. I have several amps in the 15 to 22 range, a 40 and a 60. And I just got myself another Allen amp kit I'm going to assemble. It's called a Chihuahua and is a whopping 10 watts with one 6V6 ~ I can't wait.
    Playing lower wattage amps gives you the ability to ride the fence between clean and mean all at your fingertips using playing attack and your guitars controls. No need for pedals ~
    But that's just one crazy person's opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine is 36w after years of 100w amps...But our band is so loud, it' just barely enough. 15w I had and while I could make it cut thru the band, yeah, the tone was already pretty strained...but certainly with a less hard drummer 15w is quite good. Our drummer...well his snare hits alone hit 115db easy...I bet we train at over 120db constantly. The other guy has 120w ss amp and it's so loud at times it trembles ;-) on a gig we play with amps facing inside to drummer, not the audience...
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I downsized from a 100 watt tube half stack to a 40 watt tube combo.

It's really an upgrade, from a bland sound to fantastic sound.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Default greetings my fellow low-watt friends!

Sweet. Otaypanky-- you're spot on! with some guitar -side volume adjustments / picking attacks it picks up the dirt and grind with great ease! I got a fulltone ocd because I was wary I wouldn't be able to set up the two channels to get dirty / clean (cause when you shut the master low to get the nice dirt it severly limits your clean volume on the other channel.... ) but i might only need to use a nice channel setup and volume control. Might keep the OCD for instant cripplingly nasty lead or somethign of the like... but it is still in debate. I have 20 days to think about it before i can take it back for a trade.

Additionally: unanswered, is the guy cooking another smiley in the frying pan?? how cruel!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fretz
    A Soldano? Any good for the Clapton tones?
    ...really liked his sound when he was using those amps!
    I never really go for Clapton tones. The amp is an Astroverb. I'm able to maintain plenty of headroom when I play. It's a great little amp and the little Jet City amps are based on the same circuit as this is. There are quite a few JC owners on this forum that absolutely love their amps too.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Mine is 36w after years of 100w amps...But our band is so loud, it' just barely enough. 15w I had and while I could make it cut thru the band, yeah, the tone was already pretty strained...but certainly with a less hard drummer 15w is quite good. Our drummer...well his snare hits alone hit 115db easy...I bet we train at over 120db constantly. The other guy has 120w ss amp and it's so loud at times it trembles ;-) on a gig we play with amps facing inside to drummer, not the audience...
    It's time to start miking your amp. We have a drummer who only has one volume level, and it's REALLY loud. Being able to control stage volume only makes a good band better. When everyone can hear each other without splitting their eardrums makes a huge difference.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I did! Went from a 50w Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket w/ 2 6L6's to a 5w Epiphone VJR half stack w/ 1 EL84. Sweet spot is there and it's plenty load enough for the music I play.

Post Thanks / Like

It's time to start miking your amp. We have a drummer who only has one volume level, and it's REALLY loud. Being able to control stage volume only makes a good band better. When everyone can hear each other without splitting their eardrums makes a huge difference.
    Pardon me if this is a stupid question, but how does micing (miking?) your amp reduce stage volume if the drummer continues to play ridiculously loud?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

100W heads are awesome and all, but they are complete overkill for most of us. I don't even think that I've gotten my Jet City up past 2/3 of its potential volume. It is REALLY loud at that setting. Plus the low-wattage heads really let you cook the tubes. As hubberjub mentioned, the Jet City 20W combo and head are supposedly the Astroverb circuit. I'm not a Clapton guy either, so I can't really help you. I do know that I can get a wide range of gain from clean to 80s metal. I'm very happy.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

.. damn I hope you're wearing ear plugs too! Ouch! WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I always wear plugs, yeah, usually also when I go see bands.

Here bands always get miked, unless it's some small band with their own PA, then maybe not all. But usually even then.

BUT we play mostly at training facility, and there's no PA to mic thru...granted, some plexi shields for drums would be good etc. but there's no room, nobody has the money for such shields...and basically, we all do love to make lots of noise. The vocal system, a 100W PA cheapo is woefully inadequate, but I scream real loud into a 57 and can be heard over it enough for the guys to follow...

When on a gig, well, they'll mic us OK, but we keep the amphs directed towards the stage, not the audience...makes for a much better FOH mix. But for ourselves...the louder the better. We don't play no blues, we smash up stuff...when we train, sometimes the drummer gets so into it he'll stand up and jump up and down on kickdrum pedals, and grab a cymbal and keep smashing at it with a stick tight in his fist, as hard as possible with full arm...it's not about making sweet music for somebody to hear, it's all about rocking and screaming as loud as possible, to exorcise all our demons if you will, to really whip all excess energy and frustrations out into the music.

If the audience don't appreciate such punk attitude, we don't care. We don't gig much anyway. But anyway, when we do, we try to rock hard. Not playing metal hard, playing loud and with feeling hard. Last gig the drummer broke two skins on the drums :-)
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey deeaa,sounds like you might want to upgrade that plexiglass to lexan and lexan is bullet proof which is a plus in case you piss someone off! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Pardon me if this is a stupid question, but how does micing (miking?) your amp reduce stage volume if the drummer continues to play ridiculously loud?
    Drummers are an odd breed. They must be forced into adapting to a stage environment. If they do not adapt they must be taken behind the venue and put to rest. It's the humane thing to do. Playing in a band is a very egocentric venture. If you can't hear yourself, your first thought is to turn up your amp instead of conferring with the other members and asking how the sound mix is. What I have found to work best is during a sound check, each band member sets up their amp and gets their "tone" to where it sounds good. Do not confuse tone with volume. This must be done without the rest of the band noodling on their instruments. Go through each person until everyone is accounted for. Then, do a sound check with the whole band. Don't just listen for yourself, listen for everyone. Have the sound person adjust the monitor mix accordingly. When done properly, the end result is fantastic. You can hear everyone without the fatigue associated with having to crank your amp. I find it's more about listening to the other people than to yourself.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 cents...

Both of the guitarist in my band play with low wattage amps.

One uses a two amp setup a 65 Deluxe Reverb & Egnater Renegade set to the 18 watt setting the Fender is clean and the Egnator is dirty.crunch, distorted.
    The other guy uses Bogner Alchemist 2x12 (clean&crunch) and Orange Amplifiers Dual Terror in to a Marshall 1960 4x12 cab. (dirty.crunch, distorted).

That is one of the reasons I want a tweaker or supersonic 22 after hearing how good their low wattage gear sounds.

I like both setups a lot all of it is low wattage gear or set low as in the renegade and we have more than headroom to get the job done and then some. This weekend we are playing a rather large venue so I here they are pulling out the dual/triple rectifiers and some type of Marshall head and want me to bring my Deville 410. Sounds like its going to be a ear plug show for me.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Drummers are an odd breed. They must be forced into adapting to a stage environment. If they do not adapt they must be taken behind the venue and put to rest. It's the humane thing to do. Playing in a band is a very egocentric venture. If you can't hear yourself, your first thought is to turn up your amp instead of conferring with the other members and asking how the sound mix is. What I have found to work best is during a sound check, each band member sets up their amp and gets their "tone" to where it sounds good. Do not confuse tone with volume. This must be done without the rest of the band noodling on their instruments. Go through each person until everyone is accounted for. Then, do a sound check with the whole band. Don't just listen for yourself, listen for everyone. Have the sound person adjust the monitor mix accordingly. When done properly, the end result is fantastic. You can hear everyone without the fatigue associated with having to crank your amp. I find it's more about listening to the other people than to yourself.
    So...to my question, you just yell at the drummer until they play softer? That seems to work OK with the two drummers I play with -- if everyone else is trying to work together, it makes the drummer look like a retard if they continue to play super-loud. Is that what you're getting at?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast