Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Introduction from Steve Thompson, Sun Valley, ID, USA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction from Steve Thompson, Sun Valley, ID, USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Introduction from Steve Thompson, Sun Valley, ID, USA

Hi all. At SuperSwede's suggestion, I am posting an introduction. My name is Steve Thompson. I am new to the forum and just getting started in electric guitar. I have been playing acoustic for a while, and played piano before that. I am getting a Strat Standard 60th (the blizzard pearl one) for my first electric, and am shopping for my first amp. I was leaning toward the VoxAD50VT, but can get a very lightly used Marshall AVT50 from the guy who is selling me the strat, probably for about the same price as the Vox. I have a post regarding the amp on the amp page. My acoustic guitar is a kind of no name spruce top dreadnought called a "Joshua".

I am a 44 year old father of 3, pay the bills by being a solo lawyer, also coach kids in skiing and give private instruction. I live in Sun Valley because I love to do about anything outdoors, including skiiing, mountain biking, running/hiking, waterskiing, and so on.

I have a very broad and eclectic taste in music and "waste" lots of time listening and learning to play. I listen mostly to a mix of classic rock, blues, and punk/alternative, with some acoustic and jazz, esp. Coltrane era thrown in. I am currently in the midst of a Neil Young phase. On my acoustic, I have been working on Heart of Gold, Old Man, Hey, Hey, My, My, and am starting on "You and Me" I have spent a lot of time on Robert Renman's Dolphinstreet site and am working on his AC/DC lesson . . . sort of an AC/DC unplugged thing. Also playing around with Sunshine of Your Love, trying to do a Clapton version with a Hendrix tempo. Really, just a Dad blowing off steam with the guitar. Anyway, enough rambling for now. Please feel free to email, etc. Thanks for letting me join in.

Cheers, Steve
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; October 20th, 2006 at 02:28 PM. Reason: add a thought

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Steve! Good to hear you are "wasting" your time on my site ...

This is the place for guitaraholics of all ages and abilities. Enjoy!

About the amps - make sure you try both. Otherwise there's no way of knowing which one you would like better.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Steve, you've come to the right place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Welcome Steve! Good to hear you are "wasting" your time on my site ...

This is the place for guitaraholics of all ages and abilities. Enjoy!

About the amps - make sure you try both. Otherwise there's no way of knowing which one you would like better.

Robert: Any time I spend with your online lessons is hardly a waste!! Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Steve
    I am also a newbie to guitar and this forum and hope u enjoy the folks and info here as much as I have and still am. We also share prior keyboard experience, as u can tell by my avatar !

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Steve. Hey, am I talking to myself?
    I really enjoy thefret. I'm sure you will too.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, fellow "old dOOd"!

I'm pretty new here, myself. This board rocks!
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Thanks all for the great welcome.

Thanks all for the great welcome. I am having fun already!! Spudman, great to see another Iduhhhowin here. I am originally from Tacoma, WA and moved here in 98. Isn't DEVO from Idaho? What is your favorite Idaho guitar store? I like our local Ketchum store, and the Boise Old Town store seems cool.

Cheers,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Sun Valley.

I used to ski at Sun Valley when I was a kid. It's been a long time though!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    Welcome, fellow "old dOOd"!
    OLD???? You 40-somethings are just KIDS! I got ties in the closet older than you guys!

Welcome, Steve. You'll like it here, I'm sure. No better bunch of guys to talk guitars, amps & associated paraphernalia with....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Thanks all for the great welcome. I am having fun already!! Spudman, great to see another Iduhhhowin here. I am originally from Tacoma, WA and moved here in 98. Isn't DEVO from Idaho? What is your favorite Idaho guitar store? I like our local Ketchum store, and the Boise Old Town store seems cool.

Cheers,

Steve
    The Old Boise store is where Mike Stone of Queensryche just bought his new Gretsch Electromatic. (see Queensryche post)

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Steve! You'll love this place...

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    OLD???? You 40-somethings are just KIDS! I got ties in the closet older than you guys!
    Yeah we're old.

You are closer to decrepit

Whatz'a tie?!?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Sun!
    BTW, fellas.
    I was born in 1954.
    DuhVoodooMan...
    Did you know there's a new program where you can exchange 12 old neckties for 4 new Dunlop picks?
    For the youngsters...Definitions...
    A "tie" is where both parties win, no'one loses.
    Q.
    What's a decrepit? Is that one of those French pastries?
    Glenn

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Steve from another 40something!
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    What's a decrepit? Is that one of those French pastries?
    Glenn
    Yes, but Congress passed a law and renamed'em Freedom Geezers.

It's off t'war ya' go!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    BTW, fellas.
    I was born in 1954.
    Uh-oh. I go back to '51. Do I have to change my forum ID to "olderguy"??
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, sunvalleylaw!

Enjoy! This is a great place, with good people who have a genuine love of music in general, and the guitar in particular.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    No better bunch of guys to talk guitars, amps & associated paraphernalia with....
    Your honor, I'd like to have the paraphrenelia comment stricken from the record. My client has been under the influence of a tube volume attenuator for the last two weeks, and hasn't been thinking quite clearly . . .

Seriously, welcome to the fray, Steve. Lots of us 40-somethings lurking around FN - you'll fit right in. If you're working on Cream's "Sunshine Of Your Love", might I suggest that acquaint yourself witht he forum's search feature by typing in "woman tone".
    Last edited by Nelskie; October 21st, 2006 at 08:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast