Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Hi all
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi all

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi all

I found this site via Robert's Dolphinstreet site. I first took up guitar in grade school, but dropped it when my parents wouldn't let me have an electric but my cheapo acoustic was like playing a cheese slicer. I also hated the awful books my instructer insisted on using to teach me.

When I was a senior in high school, I picked up the bass and played that through college and grad school. When I finally got my master's, I sold it. Dumbest move I ever made.

About four years ago I picked up a used Charvel Model 7 (tele-style with an aftermarket Hot Rails at the bridge), a Peavey Blazer 158, and a Zoom 505II. In May of last year, I saw that Musician's Friend was blowing out their Fender Showmaster Celtic H's for US$249 (original retail was US$899), so I snagged one. It is infinitely better than my Charvel which has now been relegated to "dust collector." In November, I picked up the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT for US$239.

Right after Christmas I bought Doug Marks' Metal Method course along with the Classic Metal Licks DVD and SRV Style DVD. Good stuff. I've probably learned more from that in less than a year than I have from anything else over my lifetime. I like 80s-era metal and the blues.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Arnold! Good intro!
    I haven't heard of that Fender Showmaster, tell us more. Maybe have a pic?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Welcome Arnold! Good intro!
    Thanks. Actually, I have "two first names" syndrome. My name is actually Matt Arnold.

I haven't heard of that Fender Showmaster, tell us more. Maybe have a pic?
    All the gory details on the guitar are here. Here's a picture of my axes (axen?). The Showmaster is the one on the right.

And here's all my stuff. On the Metal Method forums someone always posts pictures of their stuff in front of a very blue couch. So posting pictures on or near a couch has kind of become a tradition

Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome,

I've always loved the maple Charvel necks with the reverse headstock. VERY 80s and they just feel perfect. The Vox is killer isn't it! I got the same one you have. What I need though is that foot switch. I haven't gotten one yet and I'm not sure if GC can get me one...I suppose they could...I got the amp from them.

Good to see a new member!

Rob
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Welcome,

I've always loved the maple Charvel necks with the reverse headstock. VERY 80s and they just feel perfect.
    That was one of the main selling points when I got it. Unfortunately, the neck is slightly warped so I get some odd intonation problems and buzzing. The previous owner had mauled the nut, so I had a bone one installed. It'd look even cooler if I can repaint it. I want to paint it white and put a big Red Wings logo on it. If I can repaint it and the repaint job looks cool, I might look into getting a neck replacement. 'Tisn't cheap though.

What I need though is that foot switch. I haven't gotten one yet and I'm not sure if GC can get me one...I suppose they could...I got the amp from them.
    I bought mine from the local dealer. It took them a LONG time to get it. I'm fortunate they still had the amp when I got it. They're in big demand and Vox/Korg seems to be having trouble keeping up.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thanks for the heads up on the foot switch. I suppose I can order it now and then wait...no biggie I'm gigging with it right now anyway.

I haven't checked for Charvel necks online. I'm sure they're hard to find. I can imagine the reversed headstock ones are even harder to find. Those unfinished maple necks are my favorite. I used to have a Charvel but with a rosewood neck and with the sharkfin inlays. I've always loved wide flat necks like that...they reminded me of certain Les Paul necks. The only Les Pauls I didn't sell of mine, the necks were wide and thin. I was real picky about that.

Rob
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't checked for Charvel necks online. I'm sure they're hard to find. I can imagine the reversed headstock ones are even harder to find. Those unfinished maple necks are my favorite. I used to have a Charvel but with a rosewood neck and with the sharkfin inlays.
    Unfortunately, this neck is also finished which makes it a bit "sticky" if you understand my meaning. I'd probably look at a Warmoth or Carvin neck. The problem is that a new neck would cost more than I paid for the guitar.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I hear ya. Oh I thought your Charvel neck was unfinished. I totally prefer unfinished maple necks...I've never liked the look and feel of lacquered maple. Bleck. A satin finish however is acceptable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold

Right after Christmas I bought Doug Marks' Metal Method course along with the Classic Metal Licks DVD and SRV Style DVD. Good stuff. I've probably learned more from that in less than a year than I have from anything else over my lifetime. I like 80s-era metal and the blues.
    Sorry for digging up an old thread, but apropos to your thread about distortion pedals, I've been thinking about buying Doug Mark's Metal Method. Do you still consider it the best choice for 80s metal?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Marnold, welcome to the forum!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Marnold, welcome to the forum!
    LOL, that wasn't my intention. But indeed, welcome! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon
    Sorry for digging up an old thread, but apropos to your thread about distortion pedals, I've been thinking about buying Doug Mark's Metal Method. Do you still consider it the best choice for 80s metal?
    Yes. Metal Method is actually the best guitar course I've ever come across period. The recent update makes a good thing even better, especially if you're a total newbie. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the welcome, Robert

Post Thanks / Like

I was a bit confused by Matt's intro, until I read the date. Yeah, welcome Matt!

It's interesting that Metal Method was brought up, since I was trying to remember what DVD series my friend Ryan was using. That's it, Metal Method. Now I know what to look for. Thanks Don and Matt!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, Marnold!! Sorry I didn't welcome you when you first joined. Then again, you joined 4+ months before me!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep, that was fun to see Marnold's intro post. I did not join til 10/96. The class of 2006!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Prompted by Marnold's Fret.net user id #22, I was looking at some of the early member profiles. Other than the "godfathers" of the site (Robert & Myles at Vital Effect), the first member was.....TREMOLOMAN! He's user id #3. Other notable early members who are still active:

Tone2theBone - #8
    Bloozcat - #14
    Guitar-Chris - #29
    warren0728 - #35
    SuperSwede - #36
    Spudman - #45
    ....and returning just yesterday, Matt at #50.

Me, I'm #74. Well, at least I got into the first 100!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Prompted by Marnold's Fret.net user id #22, I was looking at some of the early member profiles. Other than the "godfathers" of the site (Robert & Myles at Vital Effect), the first member was.....TREMOLOMAN! He's user id #3. Other notable early members who are still active:

Tone2theBone - #8
    Bloozcat - #14
    Guitar-Chris - #29
    warren0728 - #35
    SuperSwede - #36
    Spudman - #45
    ....and returning just yesterday, Matt at #50.

Me, I'm #74. Well, at least I got into the first 100!
    So what's my number Vood? I'm sure to be just a bit after you.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    So what's my number Vood? I'm sure to be just a bit after you.
    Since I started all of this by resurrecting an old thread, I'll answer. You're #80. To find out, just look for the u=XXX in the link to the user profile; yours is http://www.thefret.net/member.php?u=80

Now, has anyone else used The Metal Method? :-)
    Last edited by bcdon; January 11th, 2010 at 11:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So that makes me 238 I guess. Just a young pup! Well Matt, here is a belated Welcome to you! I am sure you will be a great impact on the scene here!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast