Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Crescent Guitars

Thread: Crescent Guitars

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crescent Guitars

Ok I don't know if anyone on here's heard of these, but i'm buying one tomorrow and I want to know what to expect. Can someone tell me if they're any good?
    Metallica for Life

1983 - Kill Em' All
    1984 - Ride the Lightning
    1986 - Master of Puppets
    1988 - ...And Justice for All
    1991 - Metallica(The Black Album)
    1996 - Load
    1997 - Re-Load
    2003 - St. Anger
    2008 - Death Magnetic

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jeremy,

Sadly, it looks like Crescent guitars are not very worthwhile. Harmony Central, which generally gives artificially-inflated glowing reviews of gear, puts this one through the wringer.

Is it being shipped to you, or do you have a chance to back out of the purchase? If you're looking for a cheap but decent Strat copy, I might recommend either Rondo Music or Xaviere guitars. While not top of the line, both companies will get you a strat that is at least passable, and will give you a good foothold. Rondo has a good selection of left-handed guitars.
    Last edited by Eric; September 23rd, 2010 at 08:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know a thing about 'em.

Here's the deal with really cheap guitars... It's a total crapshoot if you're going to get something that's remotely playable.

CNC routing machinery has made it insanely easy to cut wood and make accurate body shapes. However, there is still some hand fitting to a guitar. Really cheap guitar companies skimp in the following areas to save money.

Quality and number of pieces of wood in the manufacture of the guitar.

Quality of pickups, pots, and wiring.

Quality of tuners, nut and bridge.

Quality control after the thing is put together.

So, what's missing? QUALITY. That's not saying that the guitar won't be serviceable, but odds are you're gonna have to deal with higher action, buzzing frets, scratchy pots, and a guitar that may not stay in tune long enough to make it through a whole Metallica song.

My advice? Don't let the excitement of getting a new guitar outweigh good old fashioned common sense. Squier, Jackson, ESP/LTD, and others all make good guitars in the $250-$400 range new, and less than that if you go used.

If it was me, I'd pass. Good luck!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you are that strapped for cash, send me a PM. I have an old Epi Strat that I tinkered with, in order to learn about pots, switches and pickups. It's served it's purpose, and I'd gladly send it to you to get you started.

Spend your money on a decent little amp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    If you are that strapped for cash, send me a PM. I have an old Epi Strat that I tinkered with, in order to learn about pots, switches and pickups. It's served it's purpose, and I'd gladly send it to you to get you started.
    THIS IS ONE AWESOME PLACE!
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately, I read in another post of his (after I read this one) that he is a lefty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    Unfortunately, I read in another post of his (after I read this one) that he is a lefty.
    Yeah I really wish I wasn't lefty, it's difficult to find left handed guitars!
    Metallica for Life

1983 - Kill Em' All
    1986 - Master of Puppets
    1996 - Load
    1997 - Re-Load
    2003 - St. Anger
    2008 - Death Magnetic

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

RondoMusic always has lefty guitar on sale in their emails. There should be a plenty of lower priced ones there that will be better than the Crecent.

Jeremy, don't get in too much of a hurry buying that first guitar... Check out these first! (skip past the pink ones)
    http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitarleft.html
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

From what I heard when I looked at reviews last night it's a decent starter guitar at best. The main reason i'm buying it is because it comes with another $100 worth of stuff and everything is only $70. I'm getting the guitar, a 10watt amp, and distortion pedal, picks, a whammy bar, plus amp cables and whatnot. I will probably sell this guitar once i learn how to play better and get one thats top of the line. But, thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to pick it up at 6:30 tonight, I will post pictures and let everyone know how it plays for reference.
    Metallica for Life

1983 - Kill Em' All
    1986 - Master of Puppets
    1996 - Load
    1997 - Re-Load
    2003 - St. Anger
    2008 - Death Magnetic

Post Thanks / Like

My son is a lefty and he plays right handed. He says that you do all the work with the left hand anyway.

And we bought him a left handed banjo before he decided to go righty, and it may be difficult to find one, but it's even harder to sell one!
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001