Thread: Newbie Here

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie Here

Hey guys my names J. I found this place through metallicafan794. Ive known that kid through a fishing forum for a few years now. Been tryin to help and encourage him on his guitar on facebook. Not the easiest way to help someone though.

As for me, I started playing guitar when I was 17 or 18. First song I ever learned was Penny Royal Tea by Nirvana and it was a accident. I was studying chords and just happened to be picking a Am and a G and I realized what I was doing and grabbed the guitar and ran over to a buddys house. I started off learning alot of Nirvana and Green Day cover's. Untill I meet this guy who took the time to show me scales and stuff. Thats when I discovered SRV, and others. Now days my favorite blues artist hands down is Albert King. For the next several years I played grunge/punk, classic rock, hard rock and blues. Then I discovered a band called Pantera, and was blown away. For the next 10 years I attempted to play metal. My biggest problem was timing I always played as fast as I could and beat the hell out of my ax. Then my buddy's band needed a new bassist. So I ran out and bought me a bass rig and started playing. Instantly my timing was 100% better, and my friends was amazed. I didnt get the gig though because the band's creater decided to give his girlfriend the job. My 2 old friends in the band felt I got the shaft but I was ok with it. I just called up a few people and started working on my own project. Untill I met my son's mother at a show. Got distracted by "love". A few years later she got bored with me and being a weekend dad put me into a mild depression. So I went out and bought a mandolin, that strum stick was and is a blast. But later I got asked to play bass again, we never got anywhere though. For the last few years Ive hardly picked up a instrument. Then my fiance and I got a place and the itch started to grow. So Im back, and with her support of wanting me to play could lead to a promising future.

So there's my musical background.

--J.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome to The Fret, J!
    Sounds like you have experienced the never ending up's and down's of life and music, which is more common than you might think. I'm sure you'll like the people here. Beware of serious GAS inducing posts from these guys that may cause your wallet to thin!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow. Nice backstory! I'm a late starter myself, I dabbled for a few months at 22 and started taking lessons at 34.

Oh, and I'm a avid Lake Erie fisherman, and an active member at www.ohiogamefishing.com .

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, J!
    Thanks for the intro.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Welcome to The Fret, J!
    Sounds like you have experienced the never ending up's and down's of life and music, which is more common than you might think. I'm sure you'll like the people here. Beware of serious GAS inducing posts from these guys that may cause your wallet to thin!
    I know all about GAS, last week alone I picked up a Washburn Vindicator a Schecter Damien 6 and ordered a Dean Deceiver X to accompany my Squier Jagmaster, Woods acoustic, and a cheap Mandolin. O and maybe once I find another mandolin player or a banjo player who will attempt it with me I'll post a clip of Slayers South of Heaven on the mandolin....its freakin insane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Fret's resident "Mando Calrissian" is Brian Krashpad. I bet he'd like to rip out some mando Slayer.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi J. Welcome to the forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Fret.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Fret, Jx2!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the The Fret, Aren't you glad I told you about this place?? lol
    Metallica for Life

1983 - Kill Em' All
    1984 - Ride the Lightning
    1986 - Master of Puppets
    1988 - ...And Justice for All
    1991 - Metallica(The Black Album)
    1996 - Load
    1997 - Re-Load
    2003 - St. Anger
    2008 - Death Magnetic

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Fret, J.

I think there might be a song or two in that intro... Heckuva story.

Cheers.
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeanEVO_Dude
    Welcome to the Fret, J.

I think there might be a song or two in that intro... Heckuva story.

Cheers.

You never know

How you like the Evo? I wanted a Soltero, ended up on a GAS buy already regret not getting a Soltero ended up ordering a Deciever X

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome! Nice Intro!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jx2
    You never know

How you like the Evo? I wanted a Soltero, ended up on a GAS buy already regret not getting a Soltero ended up ordering a Deciever X
    I have been prety lucky with my choice of EVOs, I have owned 3 of them. One was a Special Select (in the Tyger Eye sunburst, stunning finish), sold it 'cause the neck was too thin and narrow. Got the Exotic Burl and I love it. It is the guitar I like to play the most. I did swap out the pickups for a set of Epi Alnico Classics. These two were made in Korea, the third one, did not like it much (poor build, I think) was an EVO 1000 (only sold by "mom and pop" music shops) was made in China. So, if you can spend the cash, get a USA, if not save up and get a Korean made one, stear clear of the made in China stuff. Just my opinion.
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like

Guitar, bass, mandolin! Same as me.

I was never good enough to even attempt Metallica though, haha.

Welcome J.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Guitar, bass, mandolin! Same as me.

I was never good enough to even attempt Metallica though, haha.

Welcome J.

Didnt I see you over on the Schecter board?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Jx2
    Didnt I see you over on the Schecter board?
    Yeah, I recently did join over there.

I think I'm probably the oldest person on those boards, haha.

Post Thanks / Like

yea I was getting that vibe, Im not to old. Yet it really feels that alot of those guys are in their teen, early 20's.

My biggest complaint over there is if its not a Schecter or a A7x related they dont seem to care. I understand its a brand specific sight, but they do have "other guitar" sections.