Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NAGD (New Acoustic Guitar Day)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAGD (New Acoustic Guitar Day)

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NAGD (New Acoustic Guitar Day)

Some of you may have noticed that I mentioned Norman guitars a couple of times.

Well, it so happens I have one now.

My friend Jaron bought a good one, but he didn't like the sound of it, so I gave him my (crappier) SX acoustic, plus gave him some extra dough, and the deal is closed.

I really like this guitar. It sounds quite nice acoustically I think (Jaron has very specific needs, or he is picky). I haven't even plugged it in to any amp or board yet, but I have read up on the Fishman system in this guitar - it is apparently very good.

It is very easy to play. Quite thin neck and a lot more comfortable than my SX. The intonation is dead on, which I'm not used to with an acoustic! This is a quality guitar, in my opinion. Maybe not a high end Taylor or Martin, but for what these sell for, it's excellent.

The main features of the Norman STUDIO ST40 CW GT PREFIX include:

Beautifully built instrument that produces wonderful mellow tones, ideal for more intimate musical settings
    Solid Cedar Top
    Gloss top
    Precision Neck Attachment enables sound vibrations to travel unimpeded between the heel of the neck and the guitar's body
    Three-layer mahogany-cherry-mahogany wood lamination back and sides
    Honduras Mahogany neck
    Rosewood fingerboard
    Rosewood bridge with fully compensated saddle
    High-ratio sealed tuning machines
    Real wood rosettes
    Double-action truss rods
    Custom Tusq nut
    Built-in Fishman Prefix Pro pickup system, with 4-band graphic EQ, notch filter and phase control

My model is no longer in production, but it looks like this. I will need to invest in a case too... don't want to bust this guitar.

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet. Congratulations.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice! It looks like a honey!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

That's great Robert. I've heard good things about Norman guitars.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Made in Canada!

Looks sweet.
    Can't wait to see/hear a demo.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it's nice alright. I can't wait to plug it into a PA. I guess I could plug into my computer and record something for y'all?

The ease of playing this guitar is amazing. Almost like playing an electric, in terms of playability and feel.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, Robert! I'm glad to see you're delving into the LaSiDo brand; they have nice stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

LaSiDo? What is that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    LaSiDo? What is that?
    http://www.lasido.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, ok I see!

Lasido - sounds like an eye surgery or body lotion!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!

A case and a humidifier are an absolute must!
    http://oasishumidifiers.com/index.html

Just one example... lot's to choose from, but make sure you get one soon.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I don't know much about how to care for an acoustic. A humidifier is very important, you say? Or else what can happen?

Post Thanks / Like

A solid top like yours needs humidification. You're ok in the summer, but an Alberta winter will kick the living crap out of your nice guitar.

Have a look at this Larrivee link... lot's of good stuff on why you need to properly maintain a solid top guitar like yours.

http://www.larrivee.com/features/humidity.php
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    You know, I don't know much about how to care for an acoustic. A humidifier is very important, you say? Or else what can happen?
    Guitar humidification is another of those areas where there is little agreement. I have owned and played many very old guitars (in and from varying areas of climate) that were never kept in climate control, yet were in perfect condition. Recently, a friend got a 70s Yamaha classical that's been stored in a central California attic for many years. Nothing wrong with it, whatsoever.

My thoughts are that, unless you live in the desert, humidification is unnecessary, and over-humidification may be even worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heywood Jablomie
    My thoughts are that, unless you live in the desert, humidification is unnecessary, and over-humidification may be even worse.
    The difference is with a solid top (and sides and back) If your guitar is of a laminated construction, then the humidification is not such and issue.

If yours has a solid top, you are best to use a humidity device.
    Gearlist:

Post Thanks / Like

Being that Robert's new guitar is a Godin, I find it interesting that the company mentions the potential problem of protruding fret ends

This is not nearly as big a problem as some people make it out to be. Once again the culprit here is humidity. In the case of the protruding fret edges this is because the fingerboard has dried out slightly and shrunk. The frets are metal (nickel/silver) and do not shrink from a change in humidity. The problem is easily fixed by a good guitar tech with a file.

Yet, there is no mention regarding humidification.

Post Thanks / Like

A Planet Waves in case humidifier is a must have.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    The difference is with a solid top (and sides and back) If your guitar is of a laminated construction, then the humidification is not such and issue.

If yours has a solid top, you are best to use a humidity device.
    I echo this. Get an inexpensive Hygrometer from Walmart or Target or somewhere. You can keep it in your case. Then you can keep the humidity say at 45 to 50%. You can use the purpose built humidifiers as others have suggested, or just a kitchen sponge in a plastic bag with holes cut in it. Just dampen the sponge, then wring it out thoroughly. You can stick it behind the top of the body of the guitar, or just in the little case inside the case. That should be enough. You live in the intermountain climes, and I would be you might want to do this at least during the winter.

I read up about it quite a bit when I got my Martin. Wild fluctuations are not the best, so you don't want to be keeping your guitar at like 60-65% and then pulling it out and playing in 35%. But keeping a little moisture in the case, or in a guitar closet if you are like Dreadman or some other acoustic guys here, is a good thing. Doesn't hurt to have a humidifier in your playing room too during winter when the heat is on. But I would not stress about it too hard. I still use a room humidifier in the winter when the heat is on and it is skin cracking dry in the house, and a sponge in the case as I describe above.

Here are a couple threads where humidification was discussed.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=6240

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=14056
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Let's start a new thread on humidifiers instead. Hijackers...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast