Thread: SD or EMG tele noiseless pickups?

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SD or EMG tele noiseless pickups?

I am thinking about replacing the stock pups in my new MIM Standard tele with one of these two options:

1. The Seymour Duncan STK-T2 hot single coil noiseless stack bridge and its neck counterpart, the STK-T1 stacked single coil noiseless neck pup.

2. The EMG T active telecaster set, with pots, etc.

I want to install noise cancelling pups in my standard tele because it hisses something terrible when plugged into a cranked ultra high gain amp. I would like to retain some of the telecaster sound without the noise. I also plan on leaving my Fender Nashville tele with the tex mex pickups stock for the traditional tele sound, noise and all.

Any ideas concerning these above pickups would be appreciated from anyone who has personal knowledge of either of them in a tele. Of course, other suggestions, and theoretical ideas are also welcome.

But especially, if you have experience with either of these pickup sets above would you mind sharing your experience and ideas. I always like to hear what others have personally experienced with pickups before I make my own decision.

The SD's would definitely look great and the chrome covered neck pup would retain some of the classic look, but the covered EMGs would look plenty good as well.

Any ideas?
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

I think a cranked high-gain amp is going to his with noiseless pickups too. That's just the nature of the beast. If you're going to replace your pickups active vs. passive is a very subjective matter. I tend to lean more toward passive pickups especially with humbuckers while Deeaa swears by actives. I really like the sound of active single coils though. David Gilmour sounds amazing with them. They have a really clean tone that cuts through effects well.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I just meet and I mean just meet someone like this weekend with EMG'S in his American special HSS Strat & Tele. He did not play them with lots of hi-gain I.E. modern metal but he did play some hard 70's & 80's rock Rush, Zep, AC/DC, EVH, and he sounded damn good to my ears. But to be honest I do not know if they where active or passive. I asked what kind of pups he was using and he said EMG I thought they where Lace senors at 1st.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default EMGs

Them strat and tele EMGs tend to be actives. The only tele one I know of is active single coils, noiseless.

Vince Gill has EMG SA's I believe in that black strat you see him playing on the "Crossroads" video. So I imagine that he has a pretty good rig. Supposedly he has the presence circuit hooked into one of the tone controls and a master tone instead of two tone controls. This circuit supposedly lets you get almost a humbucker sound out of the active single coils. I don't know if the tele has the presence control available. I suppose you could put one in if you really wanted one. A set of those EMG SA's would be nice in a strat, but they are not cheap. Then again you get what you pay for with pickups, for the most part.

My ultra high gain tube amp is very hiss free with humbuckers even when turned way up, unlike some high gain tube amps I've tried. I look for this important quality to me. No need for a lot of extraneous unpleasant noise, especially with a fairly expensive amp.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art